The Licensed Vocational Nurse is responsible for identifying the needs of assigned patients and assisting in the planning and delivery of patient care to meet those needs. This position is in the Emergency Room.
PATIENT AGE GROUP(S) AND POPULATION(S) SERVED Refer to departmental "Scope of Service" and "Provision of Care" plans, as applicable, for description of primary age groups and populations served by this job for the respective HM entity.
HOUSTON METHODIST EXPERIENCE EXPECTATIONS
o Provide personalized care and service by consistently demonstrating our I CARE values:
INTEGRITY: We are honest and ethical in all we say and do.
COMPASSION: We embrace the whole person including emotional, ethical, physical, and spiritual needs.
ACCOUNTABILITY: We hold ourselves accountable for all our actions.
RESPECT: We treat every individual as a person of worth, dignity, and value.
EXCELLENCE: We strive to be the best at what we do and a model for others to emulate.
o Focuses on patient/customer safety
o Delivers personalized service using HM Service Standards o Provides for exceptional patient/customer experiences by following our Standards of Practice of always using Positive Language (AIDET, Managing Up, Key Words)
o Intentionally rounds with patients/customers to ensure their needs are being met o Involves patients (customers) in shift/handoff reports by enabling their participation in their plan of care as applicable to the given job
PRIMARY JOB RESPONSIBILITIES Job responsibilities labeled EF capture those duties that are essential functions of the job.
PEOPLE - 20 %
1. Interacts with others in a supportive, respectful manner. (EF)
2. Involves the patient, family, and/or significant others in patient care and patient teaching. (EF)
SERVICE - 20 %
1. Demonstrates behaviors that support unparalleled service for our patients, guests, and each other. (EF)
2. Identifies and prioritizes need for immediate patient intervention. Prioritizes own assignments to meet the needs of the patient. (EF)
QUALITY/SAFETY - 20 %
1. Demonstrates knowledge and behaviors related to environmental, employee, or patient safety requirements. (EF)
2. Seeks guidance as needed when performing nursing skills by utilizing resource persons, policy and procedure manuals, or other references on standards of care. (EF)
3. Takes immediate and appropriate action in emergency patient situations. (EF)
4. Collects and reports information related to the patient and the plan of care to appropriate persons and databases. Assists in evaluating the effectiveness of the plan of care and carries out the modifications accordingly. (EF)
FINANCE - 20 %
1. Identifies cost saving or revenue opportunities. (EF)
GROWTH/INNOVATION - 20 %
1. Generates and communicates new ideas and suggestions that improve quality or service. (EF)
2. Participates in the Performance Improvement Program. (EF)
This job description is not intended to be all inclusive; the employee will also perform other reasonably related business/job duties as assigned. Houston Methodist reserves the right to revise job duties and responsibilities as the need arises.
EDUCATION REQUIREMENTS o Graduate of an approved LVN program.
o One year of experience as an LVN preferred.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES AND REGISTRATIONS REQUIRED
o LVN license in the state of Texas
o American Heart Association BLS
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED
o Demonstrates the skills and competencies necessary to safely perform the assigned job, determined through on-going skills, competency assessments, and performance evaluations. o Sufficient proficiency in speaking, reading, and writing the English language necessary to perform the essential functions of this job, especially with regard to activities impacting patient or employee safety or security.
o Ability to effectively communicate with patients, physicians, family members and co-workers in a manner consistent with a customer service focus and application of positive language principles.