This National Guard position is for a SURFACE MAINTENANCE MECHANIC (TITLE 32), Position Description Number D1194000 (WG-10) / D1195000 (WG-11) and is part of the OR CSMS 1, National Guard.
This position is a Title 32 Excepted Service - Military position. Oregon Army National Guard military service is a condition of employment .
As a SURFACE MAINTENANCE MECHANIC (TITLE 32), WG-5801-10/11, this position is located in the Joint Forces Headquarters-State, Logistics Directorate (J-4), Surface Maintenance Facility. The purpose of this position is to troubleshoot, repair, maintain, inspect, and/or overhaul a variety of complex combat, tactical, commercial, and special purpose vehicles and equipment having complicated mechanical and non-mechanical systems with a variety of interconnected systems. Provides technical guidance and specialized team leadership to lower grade employees.
1) Performs maintenance, troubleshooting, and major repair on heavy-duty mobile equipment, combat, tactical, and automotive vehicles. This may include self-propelled artillery, tracked cargo and personnel carriers, road graders, mobile cranes, front loaders, bulldozers, power shovels, tanks, tracked combat vehicles, all terrain vehicles, semi trailers, forklifts, tractors, and accessory equipment. Troubleshoots, repairs and/or overhauls, as a regular and recurring duty, a variety of the mechanically complex major systems to include internal combustion engines, turbine engines, automatic and non-automatic transmissions, heavy duty drive line systems, and hydraulic utility systems and controls, cross drive or similar multi-system transmissions and a variety of intricate fuel injection systems. Makes repairs and modifications to assemblies and components such as voltage regulators, generators/alternators, brake cylinders, etc., for use or placement in systems for which they were not specifically designed. Improvises work when standard procedures do not apply.
(2) Troubleshoots equipment with a variety of the mechanically complex major systems and diagnoses difficult performance problems and the cause of mechanical failures by means of visual and auditory checks, uses test equipment such as engine analyzers, compression testers, voltmeters, ohmmeters, pressure gauges and computer diagnostic tools. Utilizes embedded diagnostics in equipment and a wide variety of specialized original equipment manufacturer system analyzers in order to determine the exact nature or extent of repair.
(3 Performs other duties as assigned.
- The above description only mentions a limited amount of the position's official duties. For a full comprehensive document that covers all the duties of the position, please contact one of the Recruitment Specialist at the bottom of the announcement.*
Occasional travel - You may be expected to travel for this position.
Job family (Series)
5801 Miscellaneous Transportation/Mobile Equipment Maintenance
Conditions of Employment
National Guard Membership is required. This is an excepted service position that requires membership in a compatible military assignment in the National Guard. Selectee will be required to wear the military uniform.
Males born after 31 December 1959 must be registered for Selective Service.
Federal employment suitability as determined by a background investigation.
May be required to successfully complete a probationary period.
Must be able to obtain/maintain a Secret Security clearance.
Participation in direct deposit is mandatory.
Must have valid state drivers license.
This position is covered by the Domestic Violence Misdemeanor Amendment (30 Sep 96) of the Gun Control Act (Lautenberg Amendment) of 1968. An individual convicted of a qualifying crime of domestic violence may not perform the duties of this position.
The duties of this job may significantly impact the environment. You are responsible to maintain awareness of your environmental responsibilities as dictated by legal and regulatory requirements, your organization, and its changing mission.
Must be able to establish effective professional working relationships with coworkers and customers, contributing to a cooperative working environment and successful accomplishment of the mission.
May occasionally be required to work other than normal duty hours; overtime may be required.
Enlisted and Warrant Officer
Compatible Military Assignments:
Enlisted MOS - 12, 13, 14, 19, 25, 88, 91, 92, 94; Warrant Officer MOS - 12, 13, 14, 19, 25, 91, 92, 94, 882A
AREAS OF CONSIDERATION:
Area 1 - Current permanent or conditional Title 32 Technicians of the Oregon ARNG.
Area 2 - Current permanent or conditional Title 5 Employees of the Oregon ARNG.
Area 3 - Current service members in the Oregon ARNG.
GENERAL and SPECIALIZED EXPERIENCE :
Your submitted documents will be reviewed for the competencies, knowledge, skills, and abilities necessary to perform the job duty listed above. Within your resume you will need to detail your capabilities. You will need to demonstrate 18 months of experience which has shown work involved in the repair, adjustment and maintenance of self propelled transportation and other mobile equipment (except aircraft). Experience or training which demonstrates knowledge of equipment to be able to do routine jobs, simple preventative maintenance tasks, and is able to use common tools and equipment in the line of work along with the detailed specialized experience related to this position.
A review of your qualifications will be conducted to determine if you are qualified for this job. Qualified candidates will be assigned to a quality category. The quality categories are:
1. Highly Qualified:
Candidates in this category possess exceptional skills and experience to exceed well above the minimum requirements for this position.
2. Well Qualified:
Candidates in this category possess good skills and experience above the minimum requirements for this position.
Candidates in this category meet the minimum education and/or experience requirements for this position.
Your rating will be based on both your entire application package as well as the responses to the assessment questionnaire. Please note that if, after reviewing your resume and or supporting documentation, a determination is made that you have inflated your qualifications and or experience, your category rating can and will be adjusted to more accurately reflect your abilities, or you may lose consideration for this position. Please follow all instructions carefully. Errors or omissions may affect your eligibility.
In order to qualify for this position you must:
1. Submit complete resume and other required supporting documentation as necessary.
This job does not have an education qualification requirement.
If you are a male applicant who was born after 12/31/1959 and are required to register under the Military Selective Service Act, the Defense Authorization Act of 1986 requires that you be registered or you are not eligible for appointment in this agency ( https://www.sss.gov/RegVer/wfRegistration.aspx ).
If you are unable to apply online or need to fax a document you do not have in electronic form, view the following link for information regarding an Alternate Application .
How You Will Be Evaluated
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
Once the announcement has closed, your resume and supporting documentation will be used to determine if you meet the qualifications listed on this announcement. If you are minimally qualified, your resume and supporting documentation will be compared to your responses on the assessment questionnaire to determine your level of experience. If you rate yourself higher than is supported by your application package, your responses may be adjusted and/or you may be excluded from consideration for this position. If you are found to be among the top qualified candidates, you will be referred to the selecting official for employment consideration.
Background checks and security clearance
Drug test required
To apply for this position, you must submit a complete Application Package which includes:
1. Your resume showing work schedule, hours worked per week, dates (format should include Month and Year) of employment and duties performed.
2. Other supporting documents :
Cover Letter, DD-214, OF-306, Police Records Check Form DD-369, Resume, SF-50, and Transcript
A career with the U.S. Government provides employees with a comprehensive benefits package. As a federal employee, you and your family will have access to a range of benefits that are designed to make your federal career very rewarding. Learn more about federal benefits .
Review our benefits
Eligibility for benefits depends on the type of position you hold and whether your position is full-time, part-time, or intermittent. Contact the hiring agency for more information on the specific benefits offered.