Purpose and Scope
Senior Accountant, Accounting & Reporting assists in coordinating and performing responsible professional accounting functions in the maintenance of accounting and internal control systems for the accounting department using established procedures and policies, independently developing work methods and sequences. The position is responsible for providing instruction and leadership for staff, efficiently recording, summarizing and reporting the result of financial activities; and performing related tasks as assigned. The position reports to the Accounting and Reporting Manager.
Essential job Functions
Serves as the Finance lead for charter schools, Achievement School District (ASD), and Campus School by calculating revenue allocations (budgets and actuals), processing charter school payments, resolving issues, reviewing audit reports, and completing for Shelby County Schools (SCS) the annual budget and financial reports for the State.
- Assists with the development of the Comprehensive Annual Financial Report and the Tennessee Department of Education's Annual Financial Report for SCS, including all supporting work papers, analyses and summary schedules as required by SCS outside auditors. Ensures that the CAFR and other financial data are distributed to relevant outside agencies.
Prepares, monitors, and manages SCS budgets and/or funds; makes journal entries and budget adjustments as required; coordinates month-end and yearwend closing of the general ledger; performs complex analysis and prepares financial reports as requested.
- Prepares daily cash reports, monitor revenues, and provide cash management forecast.
- Audits financial records by examining, verifying and reviewing accounts, invoices, bills and vouchers; assists with external audits; research accounting problems and discrepancies in records; makes or initiates corrections as needed.
- Compiles data for and prepares periodic and special reports as required by the department, school and other agencies; assists with various financial analyses as requested.
- Approves and/or prepares journal vouchers, check requests, and requisitions for SCS.
- Prepares monthly reconciliations of balance sheet accounts and follow-thru on outstanding items to ensure issues are resolved timely and transactions are accurate in accordance with policies and procedures.
https : //scsk12.icims.com/ici ervices&aclian 12244&h 1 108656813
- Receives and prepares responses to inquiries, concerns, complaints and requests for assistance from personnel and citizens regarding areas of responsibility.
1 0. Explains financial policies and procedures to co-workers and personnel of other departments; refers customers to other personnel or offices as appropriate.
1 1 . Assures accurate audits for SCS with outside auditors during the annual audit process; provides infonnation, assistance, and explanation of SCS accounting practices, procedures, systems and audit trails; reviews and responds to audit findings. Coordinates the annual review of student body funds and other internal audit reviews as required for SCS. Maintains verbal and written communication with external auditors, arbitrage consultants and other outside agencies as required.
1 2. Palticipates in system testing resulting from upgrades and modifications to the financial management system. for SCS.
- Assists with the development and maintenance of the forecast models for revenues, expenditures, and cash flow for SCS.
- Prepares and maintains variety of narrative and statistical reports, records, correspondence, and files related to assigned service, activities, and operations; provides for appropriate research and compiles reports, as needed.
- Assists in upholding SOX and internal control standards by documenting and maintaining standard operating procedures for SCS
- Maintains system of intemal accounting controls to assure proper accounting of SCS revenues and expenditures. Monitors accounting activities throughout SCS to assure legal compliance and handling in a timely and accurate manner. Assists SCS cost centers with accounting operations and fund accounting.
- Monitors and ensures timely identification and compliance with evolving accounting guidance, provides GASB interpretation and prepares memorandums that document changes and/or issues in a clear, logical and comprehensive manner for SCS.
1 8. Assists in the preparation of monthly accounting close, monthly financial reports and year-end accounting close and annual financial reports for SCS. Ensures proper reporting of financial information; review all financial documents for accuracy and proper classification.
- Assists with the accounting for revenue and expenditures in general fund, special revenue fund, proprietary and fiduciuy funds, capital improvement planning, fixed asset and debt service fund in accordance with GAAP and GASB for SCS.
- Oversees, reviews and approves balance sheet reconciliations & revenue and expenditures for SCS
21 Provides instruction, training and leadership for staff
- Attends staff and other meetings as required. Attends training, meetings, seminars and/or worksllops to enhance job knowledge and skills,
- Provides back-up support to the budget and financial analyst staff in case of absence or work overload.
- Performs other responsibilities as required or directed.
https://scskl 2.icims.com/icims2/servleUicims2?moduI@=AppServices&action=prinlFields&type=job&id=12244&hashed= 1 108656813 3/4 Minimum Qualifications
Graduation from an accredited college or university with a Bachelor's Degree in Business Administration, Management, Finance, Public Administration or related field or equivalent. Plus 5 years of related accounting experience OR a combination of equivalent education and/or paid, exempt level, directly relevant experience for a total of 9 years. Experience in a school district or local government setting is preferred.
Bachelor's Degree— 4 years plus required years of experience.
Master's Degree 6 years plus required years of experience
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
Thorough knowledge of federal and state requirements, Government Accounting Standards Board
(GASB), Financial Accounting Standards Board (FASB) and SCS policy
- Thorough knowledge of the principles, practices and procedures of municipal accounting and auditing
- Considerable knowledge of automated and/or manual accounting and financial systems
- Considerable skill in developing, recommending, installing and evaluating complex accounting systems, procedures and internal controls
- Considerable knowledge of GAAFR (Governmental Accounting, Auditing and Financial Reports), published by the National Committee on Governmental Accounting; good knowledge of the principles underlying the laws, ordinances and regulations governing financial operations; knowledge of modem business management practices
- Strong analytic and problem-solving skills, with the ability to swiftly and accurately understand complex data and perform complicated analyses with financial data
- Skills in developing data-supported solutions and using fact-based logic; ability to translate complex analysis in easy-to-understand manner and present to a broad audience
- Ability to tackle the operational challenges of SCS in a complex, changing political and educational environment
- Ability to manage daily administrative tasks without losing sight of long-term goals and planning Strong proficiency in Excel, Word, Access, and PowerPoint
- Strong written and verbal communication skills with intemal and external stakeholders, including setting appropriate expectations, prioritizing various tasks and deadlines, and building trust within and across teams
- Ability to work irregular hours
Physical Requirements and Working Environment
Physical Demands: Requires sedenta1Y work involving standing or walking for brief periods, exerting up to 10 pounds of force on a regular basis; and some dexterity in operating office equipment; must be able to use hands and fingers
Unavoidable Hazards: The position is exposed to no unusual environmental hazards.
Sensory_(ADA) Requirements: The position requires nonnal visual acuity and field of vision, hearing and speaking abilities.
AMERICANS 'WITH DISABILITIES ACT COMPLIANCE
SCS is an Equal Opportunity Employer. SCS provides reasonable accommodations to qualified persons with disabilities. Prospective and current employees are encouraged to discuss ADA accommodations with management.
Job Type: Full-time
Salary: $62,844.00 to $82,640.00 /year
- related accounting experience OR a combination of equivalent: 5 years