Exempt Overtime Eligible:
Caltech is a world-renowned science and engineering institute that marshals some of the world's brightest minds and most innovative tools to address fundamental scientific questions. We thrive on finding and cultivating talented people who are passionate about what they do. Join us and be a part of the diverse Caltech community.
The Chemistry and Chemical Engineering faculty is among the most distinguished and innovative in the world, actively leading research into new areas of study and application. The Division of Chemistry and Chemical Engineering seeks a motivated individual to join the Division to provide administrative and secretarial support to Professor Brian Stoltz, Professor Sarah Reisman, and their research groups. This individual will work within a dynamic team of administrative staff.
- Assists with day-to-day operations, such as drafting, typing, editing, and proofing correspondence, office forms, and nontechnical sections of manuscripts, journal articles, grants, reports, etc. Prepares and edits PowerPoint presentations including graphics.
- Prepares travel arrangements and itineraries. Processes expense reports, advances, reimbursements, and payment requests; assists with logistics associated with domestic or international travel; ensures compliance with funding agency travel requirements and export regulations. Deposits reimbursement checks and ensures proper crediting to accounts.
- Coordinates special events such as lunches, group meetings, individual seminars, seminar series, named lectures, and conferences. Organizes event logistics, schedules meetings with faculty, makes travel arrangements for speakers, and coordinates reimbursements. Reviews event budgets and reconciles expenses for each event. Maintains seminar poster boards.
- Manages purchasing cards with responsibility for recordkeeping and timely reconciliation. Completes petty cash forms and processes reimbursements.
- Tracks laboratory purchases and interacts with administrative resources regarding these expenses and their timely reporting. Reviews and edits budgets for the optimization of budgeted funds.
- Performs data entry. Screens and routes regular mail, email, and telephone calls, as appropriate. Processes and maintains sensitive and confidential information. Maintains paper and electronic filing systems. Extensive filing includes managing both current and historical information, with ability to retrieve previous correspondence as a basis for current responses.
- Tracks deadlines and deliverables for grant proposals; advises professor of pending deadlines; responsible for ensuring that proposals are reviewed by Division and contain necessary signatures and budget information. Prepares proposals and uploads them for submission using the established online systems. Performs data collection and statistical analysis for award proposals and ongoing fund monitoring. Assists grant manger in obtaining information, as requested. Uses Excel to create budgets and track reimbursements.
- Maintains calendars; schedules meetings and appointments, etc., using web-related tools. Use Google Gmail to create shared Web documents, manage calendars, create and manage websites with links appropriate for storing information and coordinating activities.
- Prepares classroom materials and arranges for teaching equipment. Creates/updates department or faculty web pages, including the research group website, and websites created for courses.
- Maintains files of letters of recommendation; prepares letters and forms associated with student and postdoctoral applications for graduate study or employment. Gathers required information and prepares forms for postdoctoral scholar appointments and research staff hires.
- Keeps up-to-date information on group members (includes Grad students, Postdoctoral Scholars, Visiting Associates, Visitors, and Undergraduate Research Students). Maintains current affiliations of former group members and other information. Keeps up-to-date personnel list, project list, lab jobs list, and phone numbers list for the lab.
- Maintains records, document files, and databases electronically and in hard copy; includes patent, publication, and grant files, CVs of faculty members including accurate and up-to-date lists of publications, patents, presentations, awards, honorary degrees, and current and pending research support.
- Other duties including general photocopying, shredding or archiving, tracking laboratory safety protocol documents, updating group rosters, literature surveys, group responsibilities, meetings, and email addresses. Orients new group members and support personnel. Downloads documents that have been identified by the faculty member. General computer and other housekeeping duties.
- Interfaces with campus personnel and division office staff. Orients new group members and support personnel.
- Additional duties as assigned.
- Bachelor's degree or at least 3 years of experience working in a collegiate academic environment.
- 3+ years of experience as an Administrative Assistant.
- Ability to work on both a Mac and PC with experience using various computer software programs including Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint; Mac Mail and Filemaker Pro, various web browsers and web-based applications such as Google Gmail.
- Ability to read and edit budgets; general knowledge of budget functions, such as monitoring expenses.
- Ability to follow verbal and written instructions.
- Experience coordinating and scheduling travel arrangements and itineraries.
- Excellent communication skills and good command of English grammar.
- Strong word processing and proofreading skills.
- Excellent organizational skills and strong attention to detail.
- Willingness to work closely with others to maintain steady workflow; ability to be flexible to accommodate varying workloads; capacity to work under the pressure of deadlines.
- Customer-service oriented; ability to effectively resolve customer problems by applying policies and procedures.
- Individual must be a self-starter, self-motivated, and always seeking the next thing to do.
- Proactively works with minimal direction to accomplish goals.
- Previous Caltech experience or experience working in academic setting.
- Experience supporting the grant process, including proposal and report submission.
- Some knowledge of Oracle related software.
To be considered for this position please visit our web site and apply on line at the following link: https://hr.caltech.edu/work/job_openings
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Copyright ©2017 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency