Job Title: ATU Human Resources Manager
The Amalgamated Transit Union (ATU), an International Union headquartered on the site of the ATU-Training and Education Center’s (ATU-TEC) Tommy Douglas Conference Center, is seeking a Human Resources Manager. The Human Resources Manager is responsible for assisting in the administration, evaluation, and implementation of ATU and ATU-TEC’s human resources policies, procedures, and programs for the 70+ employees of ATU and the 30+ employees of ATU-TEC. Certain ATU and ATU TEC employees are covered by collective bargaining agreements with their respective unions. The position is located on ATU-TEC’s 45-acre campus at 10000 New Hampshire Avenue, Silver Spring, Maryland 20903.
Founded in 1892, the ATU is comprised of more than 200,000 members, including: metropolitan, interstate, and school bus drivers; paratransit, light rail, subway, streetcar, and ferry boat operators; mechanics and other maintenance workers; station agents, clerks, baggage handlers, municipal employees and others. ATU has more than 250 Locals in 44 U.S. states, the District of Columbia and nine (9) Canadian provinces.
The ATU’s leadership, led by its International President, also includes its International Secretary Treasurer and International Executive Vice-President as well as the ATU General Executive Board, which is comprised of 18 International Vice-Presidents. ATU-TEC’s Tommy Douglas Conference Center is a state-of-the-art conference and training center, which provides food services in conjunction with its capacity to host 650 people in its ballroom and includes 150 quality hotel rooms for overnight guests.
Under the direction of the International President and ATU’s Chief of Staff/Special Counsel, the Human Resources Manager is responsible for providing advice and guidance to ATU’s officers and ATU-TEC management on a wide range of issues and policies. The Human Resources Manager will report to the ATU Chief of Staff/Special Counsel.
- Develop a culture that enables employees to fulfill the mission of ATU and ATU-TEC.
- Oversee the recruitment and hiring process.
- Recommend and implement approved competitive compensation, benefits, performance appraisal, and employee development programs.
- Recommend and draft appropriate human resource policies and best practices.
- Communicate and enforce ATU and ATU-TEC policies and procedures.
- Manage employee discipline and advise management on employee grievances in accordance with applicable policies and collective bargaining agreements.
- Assist the ATU Chief of Staff/Special Counsel in creating staffing budgets and implementing long-term staffing and operations strategies.
- Develop and conduct training regarding personnel policies, leadership skills, and career advancement.
- Identify opportunities and coordinate professional staff development.
- Oversee various ATU and ATU-TEC service provider agreements.
- Provide assistance to the Chief of Staff and International President.
Required Skills and Abilities
1. Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
2. Excellent interpersonal and conflict resolution skills.
3. Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail.
4. Strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
5. Thorough knowledge of employment related laws and regulations.
6. Efficient time-management skills, including demonstrated ability to manage and prioritize multiple tasks and projects.
7. Proficient with Microsoft 365 and related management software systems.
Education and Experience
1. Bachelor’s degree in human resources, labor relations or related field required; Master’s degree preferred.
2. At least 5-7 years of human resource management experience required, with strong background in and affinity for the work of labor unions, and work in a union environment.
Salary commensurate with experience; generous benefits package that includes medical and dental insurance; and generous vacation, holiday, and sick leave.
Women and people of color are strongly urged to apply. ATU does not discriminate in any of its programs, procedures or practices on the basis of age, color, disability, national or ethnic origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or veteran status.
Job Type: Full-time
- Dental insurance
- Health insurance
- Life insurance
- Paid time off
- Retirement plan
- Vision insurance
- Human resources: 5 years (Required)