The Associate Manufacturing Solutions Researcher (MSR) — Additive conducts manufacturing research at the OMIC R&D campus in Scappoose, OR. The successful candidate will conduct cutting-edge applied manufacturing research with mature skills in machine tool programming, operation, inspection, related lab equipment, and safety and be technically competent in areas of CNC machine operation and maintenance in the focus area of additive machining.
The Associate MSR works closely with industry members, university staff, faculty and students and requires an individual who is self-motivated, capable of prioritizing work tasks and who can willingly shift quickly from one task to another.
The position provides a supporting role in delivering basic to advanced knowledge in a training and educational setting with a full range of learners from experienced practicing machinists, prototype makers, tool designers to both pre-college and university students. The Associate MSR also serves as an ambassador for OMIC R&D and manufacturing in general.
The Associate MSR is adaptable to a constantly evolving and changing work environment, works very well with others, is willing to take measures to learn and expand their working knowledge through both sharing and receiving information in a positive and collaborative setting.
Oregon Manufacturing Innovation Center Research & Development (OMIC R&D) is a world-class collaborative environment that provides economic, strategic, and technological solutions for its industry partners, bringing together the best talents and capabilities of leading manufacturing companies and three universities: Oregon Institute of Technology (Oregon Tech), Oregon State University (OSU), and Portland State University (PSU). OMIC R&D is instrumental in bolstering economic growth, deepening relationships with metals-related industry, and providing a path for manufacturers to be more competitive in the global market.
The partnerships established through OMIC R&D provides applied research, technical advice, and support driven by manufacturing enterprises of all sizes to define the R&D focus. OMIC R&D is a developing and dynamic workspace where change is the norm. Operating procedures are being developed and are often flexible due to the constantly changing environment. It is not a manufacturing or fabrication facility where work tasks are predictable from one day to the next. The position is at the OMIC campus in Scappoose, OR.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Applied Science, Mechanical or Manufacturing Engineering, Machine and Tool Technology or related field. Any combination of relevant education and experience may be substituted for the educational requirement on a year-for-year basis.
- Two years or more experience in a research and development setting with exposure to components of testing, analysis and research and a proven ability to operate lab equipment for test analysis.
- Proven ability to maintain shop and lab appearance, tools and equipment organization and storage, and overall shop and lab cleanliness and safety.
- Manual machine, CNC operating andBasic MDI controller experience.
- GD&T and blueprint reading experience with the ability to take precision measurements using industry standard measuring tools.
- Fluent with operation of modern-day machining related quality inspection instruments.
- Ability to lift, carry, push, and pull over 50 pounds.
- Experience with Fanuc, Siemens, Heidenhein or Okuma.
- CAD/CAM experience, preferably in CATIA V5 or MasterCAM.
- Testing and Analysis data compilation, data filtering, and reporting.
- Machine maintenance and trouble-shooting.
- Strong communication skills.
- Works well with others in a collaborative setting.
- Able to self-initiate, take ownership of issues and comfortable with decision-making responsibility.
- Technical report writing and presentation skills.
- Aptitude for teaching.
Pay: $60,000.00 - $75,000.00 per year
- Dental insurance
- Employee assistance program
- Employee discount
- Health insurance
- Health savings account
- Paid time off
- Parental leave
- Retirement plan
- Vision insurance
Work Location: In person