About The School City of Hammond:
The School City of Hammond is a thriving, progressive educational community of approximately 12,200 culturally diverse scholars and over 2,000 employees. The district is comprised of 12 elementary schools (grades k-6), two middle schools (grades 7-8) and two high schools (grades 9-12) and the Area Career Center. The district also offers preschool and specialty programs.
The School City of Hammond embraces its diversity and communicates consistently high expectations. SCH provides a rich and challenging learning environment that encourages academic excellence and the development of talents that prepares students to make positive contributions to our world. District leadership provides continuous, system-wide, professional growth opportunities enhanced by technology and guided by data-driven, research-based strategies, assessments, and timely interventions. Highly effective teachers and support staff collaboratively utilize best practices to maximize student growth and achievement. Supported by the pillars of sound, fiscal management, accountability, and community partnerships, SCH maintains a focus on transparency and good stewardship.
The School City of Hammond values:
A highly qualified, highly effective, and culturally diverse staff.
The cultivation of internal leaders.
Facilities that are clean, safe, and orderly, that facilitate optimal learning and promote the emotional and physical wellness of students and staff.
A technologically integrated curriculum.
General Description of Position:
Reports to the Director of Security and Building Principal in a position designed to offer support to students and staff during discipline, supervision or home intervention.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
- Assist school staff and police officers with morning traffic with the weapons detection machines as students enter the building, visitors and students during the
day, to include at sporting events and after school events.
- Monitor hallways during class periods as students are released
- Escort students out of classrooms when requested
- Assist school staff and police officers monitoring the cafeteria during lunch periods
- Assist school staff and police officers with afternoon traffic outside of school building during student releases
- Assist staff and police officers with evacuating the hallways and bathrooms after school dismissals and throughout the school day
- Assist with school staff with compliance on items, such as ID’s, passes, clothing, hats, hoods, etc.
- Building positive relationships with staff and students in a professional capacity
- Respect all student, staff parents and community members
- Assist in the safety, planning, and execution of school safety drills
- Attend trainings, meetings, and conferences as needed
- Provide security for special school events and functions
- Provide a visible deterrence to crime
- Present a positive impression of the school
- Be aware of demographics and distinctive characteristics of the student body
- Abide by School Board policies and follow direction of building principal to enforce school safety school
Qualifications and Education Requirements:
High School Diploma or equivalent
Military or Police experience preferred
Previous security experience
Any additional responsibilities assigned by building Principal and/or Director of Safety and Security
Specific Skills and Knowledge for this Position:
Security Specialist Training
Stop the Bleed
Candidates should be physically capable of successfully performing the essential functions of the position
It is the policy of the School City of Hammond not to discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, or disability in its programs or employment policies as required by the Indiana Civil Rights Act (I.C. 22-9.1), Title VI and VII (Civil Rights Act of 1964), the Equal Pay Act of 1973, Title IX (Educational Amendments), and Section 504 (Rehabilitation Act of 1973).