Job Announcement: Blue Ridge Community Action (BRCA) Board of Directors is seeking to hire an energetic, innovative, and visionary leader as the Executive Director to direct its operations. BRCA, headquartered in Morganton, North Carolina, is a 501(c) (3) non-profit corporation. The Agency was organized in 1965 as a Community Action Agency to provide programs serving area low-income residents. Since 1965, the agency maintained its three-fold mission: 1) provide programs and services which enable families to move out of poverty positions; 2) provide programs and services which reduce the suffering caused by poverty; and, 3) advocate for change in policies, institutions, and practices which cause and maintain poverty in our communities.
General Description: The Executive Director (ED) will be a seasoned, collaborative, and communicative leader who understands how to move a diverse range of stakeholders forward through collaboration, communication, inspiration, and motivation. The ED will have responsibility for overseeing the administration, programs and strategic plan of the organization. Other key duties include human resources and employee relations, marketing, and community outreach. The successful candidate will also bring a passion for BRCA’s mission and vision, exceptional management skills, and a deep belief in helping socially and economically disadvantaged become self-sufficient. The position reports directly to the Board of Directors.
The ED of Blue Ridge Community Action will possess the following “key” attributes and competencies:
- Mission Stewardship: The ED will have a demonstrated passion for the mission, vision, and history of BRCA and a commitment to the Agency’s strategic focus. The ED will possess the ability to work effectively with the Board and staff to define and effectively communicate the Agency’s mission within the organization and to various stakeholders and ensure that it’s being implemented effectively.
- Human Resource Management: The ED will have a demonstrated ability to build and manage a workforce based on organizational goals, budget considerations, and staffing needs. The ED will also have a demonstrated ability to build, nurture, and retain a strong senior staff team that is focused on impact, excellence, and accountability. The ED will be an individual of unquestioned integrity, ethics, and values who can be trusted without reservation and will inspire and motivate others.
- Organizational Strategic Planning: The ED will be an experienced leader with the background and skills to work effectively with the Board to establish the strategic direction of the Agency. The ED will be a proven strategic thinker with the foresight, capacity, and experience to understand and balance complex and distinct constituent needs. The ED will also have the ability to diagnose critical areas for attention and develop and implement clear, action-oriented strategies that address challenging problems with thoughtful, effective solutions that engender Broad support and position the organization for future success.
- Board Relations: The ED will be exceptionally skilled at developing, building, and sustaining an excellent working relationship with the Board. The ED will also be an experienced leader with the background and skills to work with the Board to help ensure that it is properly constituted and trained to conduct effective governance and to chart a course for the next chapter of impact for the organization.
- Building Community Relationships: The ED will have a demonstrated ability to purposefully build connections and relationships with various constituencies and look for ways to represent and blend the different perspectives of each in the process.
- Building Strategic Partnerships: The ED will have a demonstrated ability to build, maintain, and use positive relationships with individuals, groups, organizations, and institutions that are, or might be, important in helping the BRCA achieve its mission. The ED will be proactive in initiating and strengthening relationships with all constituents through a systematic cultivation plan designed to increase support of the agency over the long term.
- Communications: The ED will be an effective voice for BRCA, helping to guide messaging, communicate about new initiatives and developments to stakeholders, and generally build awareness of the organization’s work. An influential and persuasive communicator, the ED will have an inspired ability to build community using accessible language to explain information, strategy, and processes to individuals with differing levels of familiarity.
- Accountability and Evaluation Management: The ED will possess the ability to work effectively with the Board and staff to establish accountability standards and systems that track the Agency’s effectiveness and impact.
Supervisory Responsibilities: The ED will provide direct supervision to the Finance Director, Family/Child Development Service Director; Weatherization/Energy Director and Community/Economic Service Director.
Education and Experience Requirements: Master's degree in Business, Social Work, Public Administration, Human Services or related field and a minimum of 7 years of experience working at a senior management level for a public agency, nonprofit and/or a human services organization; or a Master’s degree in Business, Social Work, Public Administration, Human Services or related field and a minimum of ten years of management experience in a community action, nonprofit or human services agency.
Compensation: Quality benefits including health insurance, life insurance, 401(k) and 403(b) plans, sick leave, and vacation leave pay. Hiring Salary Range: $100k to $135k based on qualifications and experience.
Job Type: Full-time
- Management: 1 year (Preferred)
- Nonprofit: 1 year (Preferred)