Education Level required:
Bachelor’s degree and successful completion of paralegal certificate program. Significant related experience may be substituted.
Five years’ experience as a legal assistant, preferably in a corporate setting or law firm, or the equivalent, is preferred.
Excellent verbal and written communication skills and superior organizational skills are a must. Ability to work collegially and effectively in a team setting. Ability to meet tight deadlines. Detail orientation.
Duties Description BASIC FUNCTION:
To provide broad-based paraprofessional support to in-house counsel in performing all legal tasks in connection with the implementation of Empire State Development’s economic development mission and purpose.
WORK PERFORMED:Responsibilities can include some or all of the following:
- Research: Support both the legal and public affairs divisions in required research and analysis of program and legal issues upon request. Provide detailed and timely written analysis of research.
- Drafting: prepare initial drafts and/or proofread, cite check and finalize diverse types of documentation, in support of the department’s corporate, lending, litigation and bond issuance activities; correspond with members of the public seeking information on ESD’s activities.
- Corporate transactions: prepare grant disbursement agreements, partnership and limited partnership agreements, investment agreements of all kinds and amendments to same; research corporate good standing or ESD business clients; prepare closing documentation for diverse types of corporate transactions, including grantmaking, secured lending and bond issuances; assist with preclosing and closing activities, including proofreading, document execution and distribution, preparing closing transcripts.
- Corporate Secretarial Duties: draft and file documents necessary to effectuate the formation of corporate entities; discharge all responsibilities for meetings of directors of ESD and its numerous subsidiaries and affiliated entities, including assuring a quorum for all meetings, arranging for stenographic transcription and video conferencing capability; oversee and coordinate the preparation of a large volume of corporate authorization requests, while maintaining the schedule for board meetings; and prepare corporate minutes and resolutions.
- Litigation: Provide litigation support, including drafting correspondence; monitoring personal injury and lien actions; coordinating of all phases of document production; accepting service of papers served on ESD; and filing and obtaining copies of legal papers with various courts.
- Real Estate Activities: prepare and file security instruments; perform lien searches; interface with appraisal firms; assist with loan closings.
- Compliance: assist with Corporation’s annual Public Authorities Reporting and Information System compliance, the preparation of annual subsidiary report and other compliance activities.
- FOIL: Provide support to the Corporation’s Freedom of Information Law Officer in responding to requests for records; maintain log of requests and responses; correspond with members of the public regarding requests for information.
- Project Support: Work closely with attorneys and Project Managers in arranging for public hearings, including drafting and arranging for the publication of legal notices and obtaining affidavits of publication; booking appropriate meeting space; supervising the preparation of a stenographic record of proceedings; assist with orderly conduct of meeting, including registering speakers and providing copies of relevant documents to the public.
- Administration: Create and maintain departmental files; maintain in-house legal library
Additional Comments Comprehensive Benefit Package