Initial Posting Date:
Department of Fish and Wildlife
$2,696 - $3,831
Fish and Wildlife Technician (Roaring River/South Santiam Hatchery Technician)
Make a Difference in Oregon's Natural Resources!
To protect and enhance Oregon's fish and wildlife and their habitats for use and enjoyment by present and future generations.
This position is with the Oregon Department of Fish and Wildlife (ODFW) located at the Roaring River and South Santiam hatcheries in Scio and Sweet Home, OR respectively.
Play a part in providing healthy fish for Oregon! Perform fish culture duties to meet production goals and maintain equipment, grounds and buildings.
What you will do:
- Care for fish and perform grounds and equipment maintenance and other related duties. Pond, feed, grade, and collect eggs from wild and hatchery fish; shock, pick, and enumerate eggs; regulate water supplies; remove mortality; and recognize and treat fish diseases. Record and maintain information on amount and type of feed received and fed, water quality, fish mortalities, and liberations. Weigh, count, and load fish and eggs for transfer and liberation.
- Maintain, construct, and perform minor repairs to ponds and walkways, fish feeders, egg trays, and screens. Maintain and repair hatchery buildings and residences, fish pumps, lawn mowers, power tools, roads, and trails.
- Maintain lawns, shrubs, and trees.
- Meet the public, maintain public relations, answer questions, and conduct hatchery tours.
- Work outdoors, at times during inclement weather.
- Work in or near cold, deep or fast moving water for extended periods of time.
- Requires lifting up to 50 pound sacks of feed, cartons of drugs, and other heavy materials and equipment.
- Operate trucks, tractors and other equipment
- Handle chemicals used for treatment of fish or disinfecting of equipment for disease control purposes. Work with paint, vehicle fuel, lubricants and solvents during routine maintenance duties. Required to climb ladders.
- Must display a good sense of diplomacy when dealing with the public.
- Requires a flexible work schedule that varies in the number of hours worked on a daily basis, but not necessarily each day, or a work schedule in which the starting and stopping times vary on a daily basis, but not necessarily each day. This includes working at all hours and workdays in excess of eight hours. Work weekends on a rotational basis and may have to respond to emergency situations while working alone.
- This position requires an All-Terrain Vehicle (ATV) Safety Education Card for on the job use of quads and three-wheeled ATVs (Class 1 ATVs) obtained through the Oregon Parks and Recreation Department, accessible at the following website: www.rideatvoregon.org/ . On your application, be sure to indicate in the Work Experience Description if you have a card or a copy of your card can be attached. If the selected applicant does not possess this certification, s/he must obtain it within six months of hire as a condition of continued employment.
We are seeking applicants who meet the minimum qualifications and have the following skills and experience:
An Associate's degree in Fisheries Technology, Aquaculture or Aquarium Science; OR
Eighteen months of fish culture (care of fish) experience. (six months of fisheries, fish screens, wildlife or related habitat work experience will count toward this experience).
A higher level degree in Fisheries Science or a closely-related degree with at least 45 quarter (30 semester) hours of biological/ecological coursework will substitute for the Associate's degree.
- Fish culture experience in a hatchery setting
- Working with eggs and fry
- Handling adult fish
- Experience with water systems and maintenance
- Operating electronic or mechanical equipment
- Collecting and recording data
- Writing technical or summary reports
- Using Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook
- Working with the public
Your answers to the supplemental questions must be supported by the "Job History" (Work Experience) section in your application or you may not be considered for this position. Resumes will not replace the completed "Job History" section in your online application. You may be disqualified if your experience listed in the “Job History” section does not include information used to: 1) meet the minimum qualifications of the job and 2) back up your answers to the supplemental questions. If any of the positions listed in your application are part time or seasonal, be sure to include the dates you worked (month and year) and the average amount of hours worked per week in the duties section. Only those individuals who most closely match the requested skills will be invited to an interview.
You will be required to provide a copy of your official or unofficial transcripts (online transcripts are acceptable) during the selection process that show your name, the name/address of the institution, coursework with passing grades, and degree conferred (including date), if you are using education to qualify. Transcripts can be attached to your application when you apply in the Resume/Cover Letter attachments field.
Reasonable accommodations for interviews will be provided upon request to individuals with disabilities. If you are experiencing difficulty applying for this position or have questions, please contact the ODFW Human Resources office at 503-947-6051.
This recruitment will be used to establish a list of qualified people to fill the current vacancy and may be used to fill other vacancies as they occur.
The employee in this position will be represented by the Service Employees International Union (SEIU) and will be subject to all terms and conditions of the collective bargaining agreement. Pay and benefits on all job listings may change without notice.
Veterans - If you are an eligible veteran and you meet the qualifications, veterans' preference points will be added to your score. For more information on veterans' preference points visit www.oregonjobs.org and select Veterans resources under Resources. Please do not attach veteran documentation to your initial application, after you have applied you will be sent a task in your Workday account to provide your veteran documentation at that time.
Find information on State of Oregon benefits
More information about our agency can be found on our social media accounts at myodfw.com and http://www.dfw.state.or.us/
The Oregon Department of Fish and Wildlife is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer