Job Code: LA3380
We are welcoming a new era in healthcare where achieving good health is just the beginning. At UVA Health Northern VA & Culpeper, we believe in caring for the whole person by getting to know – and making connections with – our patients. By combining the talent and expertise of our people, the breadth of capabilities across our system, and our commitment to helping our communities get better and stay healthy, we are improving the patient experience.
As a UVA Health Northern VA & Culpeper team member, you will have a voice in patient care decisions, support the most advanced medical technologies and feel a strong sense of satisfaction from making a difference in people’s lives every day.
Supervises Positions: No
Employee is responsible for performing all laboratory procedures, including quality control, specimen collection, processing, testing, and reporting of lab results. Employee will also assist in the evaluation of new or modified techniques when required. They will advise and assist in the orientation and training of other personnel on equipment and software as necessary.
Patient Care: Shows a commitment to provide the highest level of patient care.
- Collects, labels, and prepares specimens for testing.
- Maintains required documentation for all lab procedures.
- Processes requisitions for testing.
- Prepares and distributes reports.
Safety: Adheres to all workplace and trade safety laws, regulations, standards, and practices.
- Performs quality control testing to assure accuracy of patient testing.
- Performs equipment maintenance and troubleshooting.
- Practices safety policies to maintain a safe working environment.
- Performs all duties to satisfy regulations in preparation for inspections.
Teamwork: Cooperates within a team to achieve goals and deliverables.
- Provides information and consultation to requestors.
- Recognizes interdependencies with other areas and supports other staff as needed.
- Shares and initiates regular and professional communication with co-workers.
- Participates in regular staff meetings.
Technical Competence: Uses knowledge that is acquired through training or extensive on-the-job experience to perform one's job.
- Performs competency and proficiency testing to assure maintenance of skills.
- Completes educational activities to continually improve skills and assists consultants.
- Participates in improvement of methods and processes.
The incumbent may be asked to perform additional duties as assigned.
Education: Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited college or university in medical technology, clinical laboratory science, or chemical, physical, or biological science or equivalent. Successful completion of a NAACLS accredited Medical Laboratory Science program. OR Bachelor’s Degree to include 35 SHs comprised of Biology, Chemistry, Microbiology, Organic Chemistry, Biochemistry, Math AND 1-year fulltime experience in Blood Bank, Microbiology, Chemistry, and Hematology. OR Bachelor’s Degree to include 30 SHs Biology and Chemistry AND 1-year fulltime experience in categorical exam area.
Experience: 1 Year of experience preferred - One year experience as Medical Laboratory Scientist. (Clinical internships of 12 months duration meet this requirement). Refer to the Life Support Training Policy for additional details.
Licensure: Technologist/Scientist Cert from ASCP or AMT-MT Required. BB, C, H, MT/MLS, M, MB Required.
Additional Skills/Requirements Required : New graduates must obtain certification within 12months of hire. Failure to do so may result in termination of employment. All individuals who are newly certified ASCP beginning January 1, 2004, must participate and maintain ASCP Board of Certification (BOC) through the Certification Maintenance Program (CMP). All individuals who are newly certified AMT beginning January 1, 2006, must participate and maintain AMT Certification Continuation Program (CCP). Knowledge of current medical terminology to perform full range of laboratory tests. Knowledge of laboratory equipment and testing to perform quality control checks and troubleshooting of instrumentation. Knowledge of medical terminology to communicate with medical staff regarding laboratory procedures and results. Skill in performing a full range of laboratory tests. Skill in anticipating and reacting calmly to emergency situations. Skill in developing and maintaining department quality assurance. Skill in establishing and maintaining effective working relationships with patients, medical staff, hospital staff and the public. Ability to read and understand information about instrumentation in laboratory field. Ability to follow written protocols. Ability to work independently. Ability to communicate clearly.
Additional Skills/Requirements Preferred : N/A
Physical Demand Code: 17A, Medical Technician, Other Techs
Work Function/Activity : Medium to Heavy Physical Demand
The job requires constant sitting, standing, walking, and bending/stooping. Frequent repetitive body movements. Proficient communicative, auditory, and visual skills. Attention to detail and ability to write legibly. Ability to lift/push/pull up to 100 lbs. occasionally. For any weight over 35 lbs. use Safe Handling Equipment. This job description may not include all assigned duties, responsibilities, or aspects of the job described. It may be amended at any time at the sole discretion of UVA Health Northern VA & Culpeper.
- May require the use of safety equipment, such as HEPA mask, for infection prevention: Yes
- On call responsibilities as directed: Yes
- Ability to travel between campus buildings, remote facilities, and out of town as needed: Yes