- High School Diploma or GED
This position assists in the maintenance of city grounds.
- Mows grass, controls weeds, and performs other grounds maintenance tasks in assigned areas.
- Assists in troubleshooting and repairing irrigation systems.
- Installs and maintains landscaping.
- Assists in the maintenance of greenhouses.
- Waters landscaping, planters, and new plants.
- Applies herbicides to control weeds.
- Plants trees and shrubs; installs landscaping.
- Maintains assigned tools and equipment.
- Assists with tree maintenance as needed; trims and removes limbs.
- Cleans and maintains walking trails.
KNOWLEDGE REQUIRED BY THE POSITION
- Knowledge of grounds maintenance practices.
- Knowledge of grounds equipment operation, maintenance and repair principles.
- Knowledge of safe work practices.
- Skill in the operation of grounds maintenance equipment.
- Skill in decision making and problem solving.
- Skill in interpersonal relations and in dealing with the public.
- Skill in oral and written communication.
The City Horticulturist assigns work in terms of somewhat general instructions. The supervisor spot-checks completed work for compliance with instructions and established procedures, accuracy, and the nature and propriety of the final results.
Guidelines include city and department policies and procedures. These guidelines are generally clear and specific but may require some interpretation in application.
COMPLEXITY/SCOPE OF WORK
- The work consists of related grounds maintenance duties. Inclement weather contributes to the complexity of the position.
- The purpose of this position is to assist in the maintenance of city grounds. Successful performance contributes to the provision of safe and attractive environment for city employees, citizens and visitors.
- Contacts are typically with coworkers, contractors, vendors, property owners, and the general public.
- Contacts are typically to resolve problems and provide services.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS/ WORK ENVIRONMENT
- The work is typically performed while standing, walking, bending, crouching or stooping. The employee frequently lifts light and heavy objects, climbs ladders, and uses tools or equipment requiring a high degree of dexterity.
- The work is typically performed outdoors, occasionally in cold or inclement weather. The employee is exposed to dust, dirt, grease, and machinery with moving parts. The work requires the use of protective devices such as masks, goggles, gloves, etc.
SUPERVISORY AND MANAGEMENT RESPONSIBILITY
- Ability to read, write and perform mathematical calculations at a level commonly associated with the completion of high school or equivalent.
- Sufficient experience to understand the basic principles relevant to the major duties of the position, usually associated with the completion of an apprenticeship/internship or having had a similar position for one to two years.
- Possession of or ability to readily obtain a valid driver’s license issued by the State of Alabama for the type of vehicle or equipment operated.
Job Type: Full-time