On-call for this position is utilized to cover for vacations and call-ins. Typically scheduled 2-4 weeks in advance. Average hours of 16-32 per week. This position can be utilized as a paid internship for IT courses and may promote into a permanent position.
An Associate Help Desk Specialist works under the general supervision of the Help Desk/ IS Management. This position assists customers in resolving issues during the first point of contact as well as triaging and promptly prioritizing and escalating open and unresolved problems following established escalation procedures. An Associate Help Desk Specialist will be required to provide verbal, written and interpersonal support to our customers in a customer focused, professional manner. Forms of communications will include telephone, E-Mail, voicemail, chat, and in-person support channels. This is an entry level position for individuals who have met the minimum qualifications/ requirements.
o High School diploma or GED obtained required
o Experience in Information Systems (IS) beneficial
o Experience in healthcare beneficial
o Associate’s or Bachelor’s degree in IS/Business or Healthcare beneficial
o Keyboarding proficiency required
o Basic knowledge of MS Word, Outlook and Excel or equivalent required
o Basic knowledge of Microsoft Windows required
o Familiarity with the command line interface required
o Basic knowledge and troubleshooting skills for laser jet, ink jet, and label printers, scanners, and fax machines required.
o Basic knowledge and troubleshooting skills related to computer hardware and software required.
o Basic knowledge and troubleshooting skills related to TCP/IP network connectivity issues required.
o Strong aptitude for problem solving and advanced troubleshooting techniques beneficial
o IT related certification beneficial
o Basic knowledge of Apple hardware and Operating systems beneficial
o Basic knowledge of downtime operations beneficial
o Basic knowledge of hospital systems and operations beneficial
o Ability to provide professional telephone skills with proper phone etiquette required.
o Ability to completely, and accurately document all customer issues in the current call logging system. ”If it’s not documented it didn’t happen ” required.
o Answer all calls promptly and within established guidelines to ensure a high level of service availability to the customer required
o Opens initial trouble ticket and accurately logs issue using current call logging system, using clear and concise problem descriptions and work efficiently and accurately to either resolve or triage the problem and set proper call priority and escalate to the proper support team for resolution following established procedures required
o May be required to take On-Call duty, and when on-call, may be required to alter work schedule in order to work during the weekend or evenings required
o Takes initiative to stay abreast of changing PC technology, as well as enhancing knowledge of all Munson Healthcare systems to ensure first rate service to all Munson Healthcare Customers b eneficial
o Ability to work independently beneficial
o Prior experience working in a secure environment beneficial
Under the general supervision of a Manager but may receive advice and assistance from the Director of Information Systems, Senior Helpdesk Analyst, or Analyst(s). A working relationship with all Information Systems staff must be maintained.
A professional working relationship with staff from user departments, other regional healthcare facilities, and hardware vendors must be maintained.
The Associate Help Desk Specialist is under the supervision of the on‑call Manager whenever the Manager is unavailable.
No managerial and supervisory responsibility.
AGE OF PATIENTS SERVED;
X No clinical contact with patients
COMMON TO ALL IS JOB DESCRIPTIONS REGARDLESS OF LEVEL:
Supports the Munson Medical Center mission statement.
Embraces and supports the Relationship Based Care philosophy of Munson Medical Center.
Safety is an individual’s responsibility. Know the physical requirements of the job and work within those guidelines. Perform job duties safely at all times, utilizing learned body mechanics and transferring / lifting techniques. Plan your actions to promote safety. Report any unsafe situation / equipment according to hospital procedure.
Contributes to the team orientation of the Information Systems and, as such, is responsible for proper communication with pertinent department members.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS (Core 10 Key Descriptors):
- Performs Help Desk functions including providing phone support, escalating calls, updating Help Desk status line, etc.
- Provide first line support for all users of Munson Health Care systems and services in a professional, customer focused manner.
- Provides operational support of technology.
- Provides concise, timely, and detailed written documentation of activities related to service requests.
- Assists in maintaining technical documentation of department processes and procedures.
- Monitors, troubleshoots, and resolves first level issues in a network environment using established procedures. Other issues are escalated to appropriate IS Team, Analysts, or on-call staff.
- Monitors, troubleshoots, and resolves first level problems related to hardware, operating systems applications, interfaces, and non-clinical processes in a multiplatform environment following documented procedures.
- Documents hardware and software problems when they occur, contacts the appropriate IS Team or analysts, and acts as a contact person throughout the resolution process.
- Assists with installation or re-installation of PC software via remote control.
- Performs pre-defined Help Desk functions during downtime procedures, including but not limited to providing phone support, escalating calls, relaying pertinent information to command center, and updating Help Desk status line, etc.
- Endeavour to meet the established first call resolution rate by increasing knowledge and proficiency with established systems.
- Works to assure established Team Goals are met to assure optimal customer support.
Contributions and Achievements
- Provides production support and complete assignments from Management or fellow team members.
- Fulfills expectation of the team.
- Provides help to the team to ensure common goals are achieved.
- Willingly accepts tasks/assignments that challenge development/skill level.
- Analyzes, plans, and completes work accurately and on time
- Demonstrates knowledge of job/assignment-related business functions.
- Demonstrates knowledge of job/assignment-related applications that support the healthcare functions (i.e. Radnet and PACS are radiology applications).
- Demonstrates knowledge of general IS operations seeing how all the areas fit together (i.e, how does Ambulatory Applications interface with Clinical Applications)
Coaching and Mentoring
- Effectively seeks out those who can provide coaching in new job skills.
- Asks questions to gain knowledge and seeks out training opportunities.
- Demonstrates ability to find answers/develop skills, regardless of information source.
- Actively seeks learning opportunities, whether within and/or outside of the organization.
- Applies learned knowledge to the job.
- Learns facilitation skills and applies them as a participant in team meetings.
- Earns the trust of others.
- Plans work with minimal guidance.
- Readily accepts new responsibilities and has a good work ethic.
- Readily accepts new responsibilities and has a good work ethic.
- Works cooperatively within the team environment and with others across IS.
- Understands the importance of personal accountability in a team environment.
- Demonstrates ability to work on small teams that may involve other areas within IS and within the organization.
- Communicates clearly and accurately about tasks assigned; readily seeks clarification.
- Articulates progress on assigned tasks.
- Utilizes all forms of communication in their basic form (email, voice mail, IM, etc.).
- Demonstrates listening skills.
Problem Solving Skills
- Develops/demonstrates ability to use analytical skills to solve problems with occasional guidance.
- Demonstrates core values at MHC.
- Behaves pleasantly with customers/co-workers.
- Gives others a sense of wanting to help.
- Demonstrates respect for self and others.
- Understands the need for professionalism.
- Reflects a positive attitude in day to day experiences.
- Demonstrates punctuality for meetings and determined work times.
- Responds to customer needs in a timely, appropriate and professional manner.
- Develops and maintains knowledge of when to escalate issues.
- Maintains regular communication on progress of issues.