ReNEW is seeking Science Director of Curriculum and Instruction candidates who will lead 3-8 science instruction by providing development and support for school leaders and teachers to ensure students have access to high quality curriculum and instruction that will enable them to fulfill ReNEW Schools’ mission.
WHO WE ARE
Choice is Freedom! At ReNEW, we ensure that students are academically and emotionally prepared to access the full range of life choices that are the fundamental right of every child in the city.
WHAT YOU'LL DO
A ReNEW a Director of Curriculum and Instruction leads the organization’s academic program by providing content-specific expertise, resources, and guidance to school leaders and teachers to implement a rigorous, comprehensive curriculum. This enables school teams to fulfill ReNEW Schools’ mission to transform existing academically unacceptable PK-12 schools into rigorous, college preparatory schools. The position is part of the instruction team and reports to the Chief Academic Officer.
At ReNEW Schools, we expect our Science Director of Curriculum and Instruction to:
Manage aligned, rigorous curriculum
- Design scope and sequences aligned to the Amplify curriculum
- Design or modify unit plans aligned to the Amplify curriculum
- Evaluate effectiveness of instructional resources through the analysis of student performance data, observing teachers’ classrooms, and receiving feedback from leaders and teachers.
Develop teachers and school leaders to execute curriculum at a high level
- Lead high quality professional development for school leaders and teachers
- Co-observe teachers with school-based coaches to fine tune action steps
- Co-plan and model lessons or other content implementation strategies when necessary
- Create open lines of communication and support
- Develop school leaders and teachers to analyze/use data to improve effectiveness of instruction
Strategize with school leaders to continually raise student performance
- Collaborate with school leaders to monitor and support teachers’ implementation of the Amplify curriculum and other instructional resources.
- Analyze data and provide recommendations
- Co-observe teachers with school directors
- Continue to build strong thought partnerships with school leaders
WHAT YOU BRING
In addition to the expectations listed above, you will bring the following to our schools and students:
- Strategic Thinking & Vision – Sees and communicates the big picture in an inspiring way to students and colleagues. Determines opportunities and threats through comprehensive analysis of current student performance trends.
- Organization & Planning – Plans, organizes, schedules, and budgets in an efficient, productive manner. Focuses on key priorities.
- Persuasion -- Convinces others to pursue a course of action.
- Analytical Skills – Structures and process qualitative or quantitative student performance data and draws insightful conclusions from it. Exhibits a probing mind and achieves penetrating insights.
- Efficiency – Produces significant output with minimal wasted effort.
- Attention to Detail – Insures that important details do not slip through the cracks or derail a project.
- Creativity/Innovation – Generates new and innovative approaches to problems, including instructional design and delivery.
- Teamwork – Reaches out to peers and cooperates with supervisors to establish an overall collaborative working relationship.
- Persistence – Demonstrates tenacity and willingness to go the distance to get something done.
- Listening Skills – Lets others speak and seeks to understand their viewpoints.
- Experience – Experience effectively leading, managing, and coaching adults. At least 3 years of urban science teaching experience with a record of student achievement. School leadership experience preferred.
- Education – Bachelor’s degree required, Master's level degree preferred.
WHAT WE OFFER
At ReNEW, we believe our people are the key to our students’ success. We support our staff with a competitive compensation and benefits package, including a comprehensive benefits plan that covers the majority of the employee premium for the two medical plans offered. Other benefits include dental and vision plans, disability, life insurance, generous vacation time, professional development, and a 401k plan with 4% employer matching. For employees of Dolores T. Aaron Elementary, we offer the Teachers’ Retirement System of Louisiana (TRSL) benefit instead of 401k.
- Why work at ReNEW?
- What is the hiring process?
- What are the benefits?
Job Type: Full-time
- urban science teaching: 3 years