We are currently searching for Library Assistant for our Middle School Campus. Our ideal candidate will have experience working children in groups as well as experience in a library or bookstore. This is a part time, hourly position, working Monday -Friday, afternoon 12:30pm - 6pm.
Start Date: 8/13/2018
Click here to learn more about our Middle School Academics: http://www.harker.org/middle-school/academics
Taking direction from the campus librarian, the Library Assistant provides a range of library services in a school library setting.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Minimum one year of working with children
- Experience working in a library, school, or bookstore
- Bachelor’s Degree (preferred)
- Assist in preparation of the library for instruction.
- Create and maintain library displays.
- Use basic library information and communication technologies to assist library users in locating materials.
- Monitor and maintain acceptable student behavior conducive to learning.
- Schedule volunteers and supervise their duties.
- Communicate with teachers and administrators in person, by phone, or email, as required.
- Maintain neat study and instruction spaces, general straightening.
- Dust computers, tables, circulation desk, and shelves.
- Empty recycling containers.
- Maintain an orderly workspace and circulation desk.
- Maintain student supplies, library printers, copy machine
- Deliver unclaimed items to campus lost and found daily
- Monitor student use of library resources.
- Participate in campus emergency procedures as instructed by Campus Librarian.
Other Duties and Responsibilities
- Process, shelve, circulate, and repair books and other resources according to library procedures.
- Maintain circulation records, including collecting and accounting for lost, damaged, or overdue materials.
- Submit monthly billing reports to Finance
- Conduct annual inventory of library resources
- Generate purchase lists based on librarian-annotated review materials.
- Help enhance online catalog as directed by librarians
- Participate in organizing book fairs and other library programs.
- Prepare periodic statistical reports.
- Prepare purchase orders under the supervision of the library director or librarian.
- Participate in training as required.
- Use a laminating machine
Knowledge, Skill & Ability Requirements
- Commute between campuses, on an as-needed basis, through a reliable means of transportation.
- Retrieve and distribute mail
- Assume responsibility for related duties as required or assigned.
- Dependably open and or close the library alone, managing computers, lights, locks, etc.
Working Conditions and Physical Requirements of this Position
- Ability to work with children
- Ability to job-share with co-workers
- Skilled at using MS Office Word and Excel
- Familiarity with scanner and copier functions
- Ability to communicate effectively with students, parents, staff, and faculty
- Ability to develop positive cooperative relationships with others
- Ability to receive and to give positive feedback and constructive criticism
- Ability to operate library information and communication technologies
- Ability to supervise students in an appropriate manner
- Interest in and ability to learn new skills
- Ability to communicate in effective English with staff, outside firms, etc. in person, by telephone and via email.
- Hear individuals, groups, telephone and intercom communications, public address announcements, emergency signals, etc.
- See and read computer screen.
- Shift books in a library collection.
- Lift boxes weighing 20 pounds.
- Push a book truck loaded with books.
- Stand up and reach, bend down to shelve, retrieve, and inventory books.
- No hazardous or significantly unpleasant conditions
Our mission is to educate students for success at college and beyond, and to foster kindness, respect and integrity within a safe and nurturing environment. We achieve academic excellence through the development of intellectual curiosity, personal accountability and love of learning. Our comprehensive program and exceptional faculty and staff help students discover, develop and enjoy their unique talents. We honor individuality, embrace diversity, and promote leadership and service, preparing students to take their place as global citizens.