Job Description: Administrative Assistant to Rabbi
Congregation Shir Shalom of Westchester and Fairfield Counties in Ridgefield, CT is seeking an organized and detail oriented individual to report directly to our Rabbi and provide administrative support focused on written communications as well as scheduling. Our congregation welcomes approximately three hundred families from several nearby communities in Connecticut and New York and is an affiliate of the Union for Reform Judaism. The ideal candidate is warm and welcoming, takes initiative, possesses excellent abilities to communicate verbally and in writing, is attentive to detail, and is committed to supporting the success of our organization.
10-15 hours per week, to a maximum of 650 hours per year. Scheduling determined by mutual agreement between the rabbi and applicant. Weekly in-person/on-site meetings with the possibility of some tasks completed with flexible timing off-site.
- Compose, edit, and issue written correspondence to congregants
- Communicate with individuals/families including scheduling required Bar/Bat Mitzvah meetings with the Rabbi
- Maintain Rabbi’s calendar, scheduling internal and external meetings
- Organize and maintain Rabbi’s files
- Prepare Rabbi’s expense reimbursement statements
- Complete special projects as assigned
- Apply outstanding verbal and written communication abilities to assignments
- Conduct interactions with congregants, staff and others in a courteous, respectful and helpful manner
- Demonstrate attention to detail and develop approaches to improved office efficiency
- Utilize discretion in handling confidential or sensitive information
- Organize work assignments for on-time completion
Required Education and Experience:
Associates or bachelor’s degree with a minimum of 3 years of work experience in an office setting or a high school diploma with a minimum of 5 years of work experience, of which at least 3 years is in an office setting.
Experience with use of standard office software: word processing, spreadsheet, etc. Capable of establishing proficiency with applications for scheduling and contact management.
Congregation Shir Shalom of Westchester and Fairfield Counties is located in Ridgefield, CT within a mile of Westchester County, New York. Our congregation welcomes approximately three hundred families from several nearby communities in Connecticut and New York and is an affiliate of the Union for Reform Judaism. In addition to our supplemental religious school (for students K-12) Congregation Shir Shalom is home to an Early Childhood Center with programming for children from one year.
We are a vibrant and inclusive community inspired by Jewish values and traditions.
We honor the diversity of our backgrounds, experiences, and aspirations
We celebrate our shared values: the study of Torah, participatory worship driven by music, the promotion of lifelong learning, the ongoing project of Tikkun Olam, and the work of social justice
We embrace the responsibility/task of being ‘a light unto the nations,’ building a brighter future for our community and the world.
Job Type: Part-time
Salary: $17.00 to $20.00 /hour
Pay may depend on skills and/or qualifications
- Ridgefield, CT 06877 (Required)
- Sorting and sending mail
This Job Is:
- A good fit for applicants with gaps in their resume, or who have been out of the workforce for the past 6 months or more
- A job for which all ages, including older job seekers, are encouraged to apply
- Open to applicants who do not have a college diploma