Community Manager Position Description
The Community Manager is responsible for the day-to-day management of each community. This person has specific training and experience to oversee a community and manage the onsite team effectively.
Community Manager Responsibilities
- Meeting budgeted income, expense and leasing goals.
- Evaluating unit prices in accordance with the market and budgeted goals.
- Hiring, supervising and motivating leasing staff and maintenance staff.
- Conducting weekly meetings with leasing and maintenance staff.
- Developing an annual marketing plan and conducting marketing reviews on a monthly basis.
- Oversight of resident services and activities.
- Maintaining a monthly budget control log and approving all invoices for expenses.
- Obtaining bids for all contract services and overseeing routine capital projects.
- Evaluating the leasing staff in regard to leasing guidelines.
- Training all staff members on proper leasing techniques and resident service.
- Ensuring that the onsite staff provides the highest level of service to residents.
move out charges. Note:
- Applications and Dispositions: Review/Approve all applications and dispositions. All applications need Community Manager’s signature. Move-Ins and Renewals: Sign all move-in files and renewals.
- Responsible for proper backup for commissions.
- Invoices: Review, code and approve all invoices. Cross train the Assistant Manager to perform task. Post the invoices to the BCL. Send invoices weekly to Home Office.
- Daily Maintenance Review: Meet with Service Manager at the beginning and end of each day to discuss issues. Provide move-out info so vendor locks can be installed. Discuss overtime each Monday.
- Walk-thru prior to Move-In: Complete with resident or delegate to leasing consultants (once they are trained).
- Key log: Check the log if Service Manager is not there.
- Move-Outs: Walk all move-outs before dispositions and prior to make ready to compute
this is not to be delegated to service technicians or leasing professionals.
- Weekly Report: Review for accuracy once report is issued from Home Office. Call the Home
Office if a discrepancy is noted.
- Rental Rates and Available Units: Propose rental rates for the community in conjunction with RM. Send applicable reports to RM each week with proposed specials highlighted. Be able to email. Ensure mini-models are set up on problem units.
- Staff Meeting: Hold a weekly staff meeting with ALL members of onsite team:
o Have an agenda. Send to RM. Keep sign in sheet on site.
o Review expiration board.
o Goals for the week – leasing goals/marketing goals/make-ready goals. Review ready unit status.
o Call Source update – praise good performance.
o Mini-models/Problem Units.
o Maintenance issues. Review spending. Capital Projects.
o Budget issues.
o Review new policies.
o Take minutes, can be handwritten, file a log.
- Call Source: Review calls for each employee and follow-up with coaching.
- Timesheets: Input timesheets or ensure time is input correctly at end of each two-week
cycle. Ensure timesheets are filled out each day and maintained in a central location.
- Renewals: Send the excel renewal worksheet to RM monthly for review and approval.
- Water Sub metering: Review the pre-bill each month for accuracy. Review delinquency weekly. Establish a policy for not accepting rent if bills are not paid. Capture 80%. Send water company’s delinquency report to RM with notes.
- Utility Log: Review utility log and forward to RM and Home Office by due date.
- Purchase Card Log: Forward purchase log and receipts to home office by deadline. Maintain a copy of log and copy of receipts in a folder to be reviewed monthly/quarterly by RM.
- Market Survey: Review completed survey (from Assistant Manager) for accuracy each month. Forward to RM and Home Office by due date.
- Hold a Monthly Marketing Meeting with Office Staff. Review the following:
o Market Survey – review the survey with the staff and discuss changes.
o Outside marketing – review log and marketing efforts.
o Lease Expiration Board – Review and determine acceptable lease terms.
o Resident Functions – discuss resident functions for the next three months and assign tasks.
o Closing Ratios – Review staff closing ratios and leasing success.
o Brainstorm – Pick a creative topic and submit ideas to RM.
o Set Goals and Motivate.
- Delinquency: Review delinquency and prepays monthly. On the 6th - Ensure notices are sent
out and phone calls made. Send delinquency report to RM on the 6th, 12th and 20th for review.
Review computer reports once a month for write-offs. Ensure prepaids are charged up around the 15th of each month. Knock on doors for delinquents with Service Manager
before 12th. Walk all delinquents (over 30 days) again prior to AME.
- Garage/Storage: Complete a garage/storage report each month and forward to RM.
- Variance Report: Analyze the general ledger and financial statements and complete a variance report (as sent from Home Office). Forward to RM.
- Bonus Report: Review the bonus report from leasing consultants each month. Ensure
commissions are correct. Forward to RM for payment. Review “Million $ Leasing Club” status. Commissions have top page of lease or renewals attached with Community
Manager’s initials and F126 report attached.
- Monthly Property Inspection: Complete a monthly property inspection of the community
utilizing the standard form. Also complete a monthly landscape inspection. Keep copies of
inspections on file. Review the CSR with Service Manager and check for
completeness. Obtain updated equipment record from Service Manager once a quarter and keep in office file.
- Apartment Inspection: Final inspection of apartments (maintenance does everything else)
prior to Rentroll update.
- Pre-Move In Inspections: Ensure vacants are walked prior to move-in (within 2 days),
delegate to leasing consultants.
- CAAP Report: Review CAAP report as needed or upon RM request. Forward to RM for
- Advertising: Check print and Internet ads monthly and delegate to Assistant
Manager and Leasing Consultants.
- Stay in Touch Program - Coordinate Stay in Touch Program (delegate calls to staff).
Personally call all notices to see if they can be saved.
- Office Supplies: Order office supplies.
- Corporates: Coordinate community’s marketing program and corporate apartments.
Establish pricing for corporates so we can quote rates. Have packages available.
- Market Survey: Visit survey properties once a quarter.
- Contracts: Maintain accurate contracts file. Approve all contracts with 30 day out. For any
contract over 12 months in duration OR without a 30 day out clause, forward to RM for
- Quarterly Bonuses: Complete quarterly bonus sheets as sent from Home Office and forward
to RM for approval.
- Resident Activity/Community Calendar: Schedule resident activities and provide to leasing
staff at Marketing Meetings for communication to residents.
- Move-In Inspections: Review move-in inspection cards (kept in separate file) with
Maintenance Supervisor and entire leasing staff. Go over common problems/recurring issues.
- Investor Letters: Complete quarterly questionnaire that is used to complete investor letter.
Forward to Regional Manager for approval.
- Uniform/Personal Appearance Guidelines: Ensure that uniform standards, nametag and
appearance guidelines are followed.
- Safety/Risk Management: Review Emergency Procedures binder with entire onsite team on a quarterly basis.
- Budget: Compile the budget workbook, starting in July of each year, and prepare for the
budget process. Go over any capital needs with the Service Manager and compile a
required projects list.