BA/BS with at least four (4) years of relevant experience or a combination of related education and work experience to equal eight (8) years.
- BA/BS degree in a field related to sport, recreation, or hospitality management
- 3-5 years of event management experience
- Experience communicating with a diverse audience
- Demonstrated evidence of a commitment to promoting a culture that respects and advances diversity and inclusion
- Supervisory experience (part time staff acceptable)
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Strong organization skills and attention to detail
- Strong customer service skills
About the Job
This position reports to the Assistant Director for Minneapolis Facilities and supervises the Minneapolis Facility Coordinator for Events and Operations who in turn supervises student events and operations staff. This position is responsible for all facility reservations with organizations external to the department in approximately 500,000 square feet of facility space in the University Recreation and Wellness (URW) Center, University Fieldhouse, Recreation and Wellness Sports Field Complex, and West Bank Fields. Annually this position manages over 300 events and $300,000 in rental income. Primary responsibilities will include leading events by modeling strong customer service and promoting University Recreation and Wellness facilities and services to the University and surrounding communities. This responsibility is met by problem solving; scheduling reservations; working with the University of Minnesota Real Estate Office, the Office of Risk Management and Insurance, and the Office of the General Counsel in managing lease agreements and proof of insurance; invoicing and collecting payments; and organizing event logistics.
Other responsibilities include coordinating risk management and operations procedures and serving on committees, including Conference Events Services and the Welcome Week Advisory Board. Experience communicating with a diverse audience and demonstrated evidence of a commitment to promoting a culture that respects and advances diversity and inclusion is important.
This position will work closely with the Sr. Facility Manager and departmental program staff to schedule facility spaces and communicate with the department about the impact external rentals will have on programs and members. The typical hours are M-F with some evenings and weekends to oversee significant events.
The salary for this position is $45,000. The application deadline is August 26, 2018.
Event Management 65%
- Independently manage all business aspects of facility rentals and reservations for University and external clients.
- Set fiscal year revenue goals and monitor annual operating budgets to stay on track
- Ensure that the needs of our clients are met, delivering excellent customer service at all times
- Coordinate and ensure procurement of all agreement requirements, including proper certificate of liability insurance and full execution of client agreement with University
- Strategically balance revenue generating events with internal programming and open recreation demands
- Positively represent University Recreation and Wellness and the Office of Student Affairs and build relationships while promoting facilities and programs across campus and to external partners such as hotels, visitor bureaus, and other venue managers
- Have complete knowledge of Event Management Systems software and be a resource for others in the department and university
- Develop and maintain highly professional standards, policies, and procedures for the production of events
- Consult with Office of General Counsel and the Real Estate Office regarding legal policies and questions
- Solicit, secure, and evaluate event specific sponsorship
- Negotiate facility rental agreements and venue rental rates
- Abide by applicable policies, procedures, taxation, and regulations at departmental, institutional, state, and federal levels
- Coordinate timely invoicing and receipt of payments, with assistance from URW accounting team.
- Meet with potential rental clients from diverse organizations and backgrounds to develop long-term relationships, showcase the capabilities of spaces, and draw from experience to determine event requirements
- Create detailed proposals for events, including timelines, layouts for setup and take-down, caterers, vendors, staffing, and budgets
- Generate comprehensive event information materials for student event staff and be available for decision-making and problem solving for any issues or concerns
- Coordinate venue bookings for high-profile events which will reflect on the image of the institution
- Collaborate with program and facilities staff to relocate activities and notify members
- Maintain careful organization of past event records for future reference, forecasting, and audit purposes
- Troubleshoot audiovisual issues and work with Classroom Technical Services on necessary repairs
- Annual reporting of revenues, organizations partnered with, diversity of events, number of events, number of attendees, collaborations with other university units, and renter feedback forms.
- Develop and enforce rental and facility policies and procedures and evaluate for continual improvement in efficiency and quality
- Organize debriefs with all stakeholders at the conclusion of events to gather feedback information and enhance overall event experience
- Procure various equipment necessary for hosting events such as tables, chairs, staging, pipe and drape, and audio visual components while being mindful not to exceed budgeted expenses
- Compile and maintain data specific to event participation and evaluation
- Research and develop event service industry and campus recreation trends, standards, and best practices
- Establish and maintain relationships with external vendors to facilitate successful events
- Manage the performance and nurture the development of the Minneapolis Facility Coordinator for Events and Operations by managing priorities, deadlines, schedules, and workload
- Indirectly oversee the recruitment, hiring, training, supervision and evaluation of 20 student employees
- Provide direction and development opportunities for staff related to events
- Provide clear direction for staff performing set up and takedown for events
- Meet with marketing team to promote facility spaces and the wide variety of events the department is capable of hosting
- Develop strategy for new business and revenue generating opportunities for the Department
- Work with the Marketing Director to maintain the facility reservation portion of the University Recreation and Wellness website
- Provide input and direction on promotional materials
- Assess and manage risk while ensuring participant and staff safety
- Knowledge of changing University policies regarding insurance and real estate
- Contributes to the general operation of the facility including resolving any issues with members, responding to incidents, accidents, and emergency situations
- Assist Operations Manager with maintenance program and projects
- Provide onsite leadership in high pressure situations, make unsupervised decisions and creatively solve problems
- Contribute to departmental efforts to advance equity for all guests, members, and staff
- Take an active role in relevant online discussion forums to improve our department and benchmark with others to sharpen best practices
- Attend and present at professional conferences, workshops, and projects on the local, state and national level
- Serve on committees and participate in meetings and other activities with other University of Minnesota organizations to promote and advance University Recreation and Wellness
- Carry out other duties as assigned by the Assistant Director for Minneapolis Facilities and the Associate Director for Facilities and Memberships
How To Apply
Applications must be submitted online. To be considered for this position, please click the Apply button and follow the instructions. You will be given the opportunity to complete an online application for the position and attach a cover letter and resume.
Additional documents may be attached after application by accessing your "My Activities" page and uploading documents there.
To request an accommodation during the application process, please e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org or call (612) 624-UOHR (8647).
The University recognizes and values the importance of diversity and inclusion in enriching the employment experience of its employees and in supporting the academic mission. The University is committed to attracting and retaining employees with varying identities and backgrounds.
The University of Minnesota provides equal access to and opportunity in its programs, facilities, and employment without regard to race, color, creed, religion, national origin, gender, age, marital status, disability, public assistance status, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or gender expression. To learn more about diversity at the U: http://diversity.umn.edu.
Background Check Information
Any offer of employment is contingent upon the successful completion of a background check. Our presumption is that prospective employees are eligible to work here. Criminal convictions do not automatically disqualify finalists from employment.
About the U of M
The University of Minnesota, Twin Cities (UMTC)
The University of Minnesota, Twin Cities (UMTC), is among the largest public research universities in the country, offering undergraduate, graduate, and professional students a multitude of opportunities for study and research. Located at the heart of one of the nation's most vibrant, diverse metropolitan communities, students on the campuses in Minneapolis and St. Paul benefit from extensive partnerships with world-renowned health centers, international corporations, government agencies, and arts, nonprofit, and public service organizations.