The Human Resources Generalist I assists with the day-to-day operations and administrative requirements of the Human Resource (HR) office. Under the guidance of the VP of HR, this position implements and leads Human Resources practices and objectives that provide an employee-oriented, high performance culture that emphasizes professionalism, commitment to customer service, high ethical standards, individual and ONR goal attainment.
The Generalist possesses a strong knowledge base on a wide variety of HR areas, such as FLSA classifications, ADA requests for accommodation, COBRA administration, Affirmative Action, Benefits Administration, New Hire requirements and Workforce Commission inquiries, and annual federal and state reporting requirements.
Normal work does not involve occupational exposure to bloodborne pathogens.
Benefit Administration (40%)
- Responsible for the administration of employee Health and Wellness plans.
- Acts as the liaison between employee and insurance providers.
- Administer health and welfare plans including enrollments and terminations.
- Ensure plans are administered in accordance with federal and state regulations and plan provisions are followed.
- Responsible for administering and managing the annual Open Enrollment process.
- Responsible for Benefit enrollment meetings (new hires). The generalist will explain the options in a clear and positive manner to new hires and employees.
- Responsible for communicating applicable information on ONRs Paid Time Off program, leave programs such as FMLA and bereavement, and all other HR related benefit programs.
- Responsible for COBRA processing.
- Administer, manage and maintain compliance within federal and state guidelines for COBRA, ERISA, HIPAA, FMLA and process other leaves of absence.
Human Resources Administration (40%)
- Responsible for being an expert on HR/ONR policies and procedures and recommend changes when necessary and appropriate.
- Responsible for recommending updates to job descriptions and maintain the database as new positions and job requirements occur.
- Assists with the annual evaluation process and updates employee rosters and other HR reporting programs/tools.
- Ensures completion of pre-employment and new hire processes, including background checks, employment information via Docusign, On boarding, I-9 documentation, and HRIS system information.
- Monitors performance evaluation program and related document follow-up.
- Maintains records for credential updates and expirations, including therapy licenses, TB tests, and training compliance and insures current valid records.
- Will assist in identifying training and development needs of ONR staff, make suggestions for delivery of the training, and may perform the training class.
- Verifies I-9 documentation, maintains documentation and enters information into eVerify.
- May provide guidance regarding progressive employee disciplinary activity, in accordance with company policies. Informs management of any current disciplinary concerns/issues.
- Reviews employee concerns and escalates them to management when necessary
- Serves as HR Immigration Liaison regarding visa maintenance.
- Respond to unemployment claims and questions and/or requests by governmental agencies. May represent ONR at hearings.
- Manages and maintains online continuing education program CEU360.
- Participate in executive, management, and company staff meetings and attends other meetings as seminars as needed/required.
- Assists with employee relations calls received via the HR hotline; including providing advice and counsel to all levels of management on personnel issues.
- Proposes, publishes and administers personnel policies; stays current on and maintains compliance with federal, state and case law changes and monitors labor law updates and newsletters for changes that affect human resources.
- Assists with investigations and employee concerns/complaints.
- Monitors and advises managers and supervisors of the progressive discipline system.
- Responsible for maintaining and administering the performance improvement process.
- Assists HR team with various research projects and/or special projects.
- Process required documents through payroll and insurance providers to ensure accurate record keeping and proper deductions. Ensuring accurate financial reconciliation for welfare plans.
- Facilitates routine payroll actions involving pay adjustments, bonuses and stipends within scope of ONR policy.
- Responsible for backing up the Receptionist (Cover lunches and instances where coverage is needed due to absences etc.) - answer telephones and transfer to appropriate staff member. Meet and greet visitors.
- Perform general clerical duties to include but not limited to: filing, photocopying, faxing, and mailing.
- Works closely with corporate hiring managers to open requisitions and secure all required signatures, develop job posts, perform the initial evaluation of applicants, offer a qualified pool of candidates to the hiring manager, and set up interviews.
- Responsible for hosting applicants while on-site, secure final approvals to hire from applicable chain of command, submit and review background screens, prepare job offers, prepare notifications to those candidates not hired, and handle on-boarding in a professional and efficient manner.
- Assists with processing of new hires, transfers and terminations.
- Prepares new employee files; orders name tags and business cards.
Discretion and Confidentiality
- This position will establish and maintain positive working relationships with all ONR staff, as well as demonstrate extreme discretion and confidentiality with personnel, HIPAA, ERISA and payroll information.
III. MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS
- Education, Experience, and Training
- Five+ year’s full-time, wage-earning experience in a Human Resources support position.
- Bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university in Human Resources or related field.
- Proven proficiency with computer skills and in-depth knowledge of relevant software such as MS Office Suite, ADP Workforce Now and/or HRIS.
- Extensive knowledge of Human Resources practices and procedures.
- PHR or SHRM-CP Certification preferred but not required.
Knowledge and Skills
- Excellent written, oral and interpersonal communication skills. In particular, the ability to understand and organize detailed information and to write about or talk extemporaneously on that info
- Proven excellence in organizational and planning skills; problem analysis and problem-solving skills.
- Ability to juggle and adapt to multiple projects with attention to detail and accuracy while adhering to deadlines in a high-energy, fast-paced environment.
- Exercise good judgment and discretion; strong ethical character capable of handling confidential info
- Proficiency in Microsoft applications such as Word, Excel and PowerPoint. Proficiency with the Internet and non-profit software.
- Coordination and Initiative – Work closely with various departments to keep projects and tasks moving forward.
ADDITIONAL REQUIREMENTS WITH OR WITHOUT REASONABLE ACCOMMODATION
- Ability to walk, stand, sit, kneel, push, stoop, reach above the shoulder, grasp, pull, bend repeatedly, identify colors, hear with aid, see, write, count, read, speak, analyze, alphabetize, lift and carry under 25 lbs.
- Conditions may include working outside in inclement weather, working closely with others, working alone, working protracted or irregular hours, and traveling by car, van, bus, and airplane.
- Equipment (machines, tools, devices) used in performing only the essential functions include computer and related equipment, computer, calculator, copier, fax machine, and telephone.
Job Type: Full-time
Salary: $48,000.00 to $55,000.00 /year
- HRIS: 3 years (Required)
- Human Resources: 5 years (Required)