Job Title Assistant to the Associate Deans
Department Jones Graduate School of Business
Full Time/Part Time Full-Time
Requisition Number S20284
Open Date 12/03/2019
Close Date 12/17/2019
$17.84 to $23.66 per hour
Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.
Benefits Eligible Yes
Eligible for Overtime Yes
The Jones Graduate School of Business is the MBA, PhD and undergraduate minor school of Rice University. We have daytime, evening, and weekend programs, making our building one of the busiest on campus.
The assistant to the associate deans provides administrative support to the associate dean of degree programs and senior associate dean of degree programs, and provides backup support to the dean and deputy dean as needed. The assistant to the associate deans provides all administrative support to the degree programs as related to the deans, which includes processing all Concur travel and expense reports, managing calendars and scheduling appointments and meetings, assisting on all special projects, and managing files, meeting preparation, and deliverables. The assistant to the associate deans works as a team member in the general administrative duties associated with running the Dean’s Suite, including, but not limited to: greeting guests, filing, copying, purging records, answering the phone, providing back-up as needed, and completing other duties as assigned.
The ideal candidate for this position will be a self-starter who has a strong ability to follow-through and think of next steps without being prompted. Organizational and multi-tasking skills are key to being successful in this position.
Education Required HS Diploma or equivalent
Substitution for Education Requirement Experience may not be substituted for the education requirement.
Experience Required 3 years
Type of Experience
Related administrative experience, to include one year of advanced administrative assistant and/or executive assistant duties.
Substitution for Experience Requirement Education may not be substituted for the experience requirement.
- Five years administrative experience
- Experience in a similar position in a university or college setting
- Experience in executive office setting
- Demonstrated administrative experience which includes advanced computer skills and demonstrated experience with office software and email applications
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, including editing and proofreading
- Excellent planning and organizational skills
- Ability to take initiative and ownership of projects
- Demonstrated ability to handle sensitive issues and maintain confidentiality
- Demonstrated ability to perform duties with a high level of professionalism, flexibility, discretion, judgment, diplomacy and tact
- Ability to multi-task, adapt to changing priorities and meet deadlines
Internal / External Contacts
The incumbent has contact with students, staff, and faculty in person, by phone, and through writing.
The incumbent has contact with vendors, consulates, potential students, and other university and corporate contacts.
Must be able to sit at computer for long periods of time (up to eight hours)
Open cubicle in executive suite
Position is not considered essential during a campus emergency.
Rice University Standard of Civility
Serves as a representative of the University, displaying courtesy, tact, consideration and discretion in all interactions with other members of the Rice community and with the public.