Nuvance Health has a network of convenient hospital and outpatient locations — Danbury Hospital, New Milford Hospital, Norwalk Hospital and Sharon Hospital in Connecticut, and Northern Dutchess Hospital, Putnam Hospital Center and Vassar Brothers Medical Center in New York — plus multiple primary and specialty care physician practices locations, including The Heart Center, a leading provider of cardiology care, and two urgent care offices. Non-acute care is offered through various affiliates, including the Thompson House for rehabilitation and skilled nursing services, and the Home Care organizations.
The Director is responsible for the creation and operation of the Institute of Relationship Centered Care and reports to the Chief Experience Officer with dotted line reporting to the Norwalk Hospital President and close collaboration with the VP, Innovation and Research and the Chief Quality Officer. This thought leader and frontline Director is responsible for the collaborative development and implementation of the nation’s first applied laboratory for empathy operationalized within Nuvance Health. Accountable for overseeing original research through organizational deployment of an empathy score that’s tied to pre-employment screening, quarterly professional development and annual wellness check-ins tied directly to caregiver, employee engagement and quality patient outcomes. This role also oversees the patient experience day to day operations of Norwalk Hospital. The position will also coordinate and oversee the delivery of Volunteer Services, Spiritual Care, Gift Shop and includes complaint and grievance resolution.
1. Develops groundbreaking directional and scientifically rigorous studies to develop an empathy score and study its relationships to quality indicators such as preventable 30 day readmissions, patient compliance around new medications, patient reported outcomes, HCAHPS, employee burnout, engagement and retention.
2. In accordance with the Network's mission, vision, and goals the Director anticipates the future, examines the competitive environment, formulates strategic plans, and delivers on developing a financially sound entity using philanthropy for the first 4 years to transition to a revenue generating service line
3. In collaboration with relative community and industry stakeholders, manages and directs market analysis in order to continuously evaluate the competitive position of provided services in the global marketplace.
4. Supports clinical and engagement quality initiatives coordinating with the Chief Quality Officer, Chief Human Resources Officer and Chief Experience Officer. Collaborates with management, staff, and physicians to support performance improvement initiatives, including the use of LEAN and Six Sigma Methodologies and tools to improve quality and eliminate waste.
5. System level responsibility to pilot ideas and scale proven concepts around the Nuvance Health Empathy score across the system, refine design and gain efficiencies using performance improvement structure and tools with this knowledge imparted on frontline and leadership.
6. Guides transparency in data utilization for continuous improvement work in patient experience. Looks with a critical eye across Nuvance Health for negative and positive variance to standardize our approach to experience.
7. Leads the charge for a streamlined patient centric access models focused on new models of technology and creative thinking to ensure optimal experiences.
8. Fosters personalized connections among colleges, community member and patients in order to perpetuate relationships beyond illness.
9. Overseas Norwalk experience council and leads personalized ventures by strategically rolling out of Patient Family Councils across Norwalk Hospital.
10. Partners with experts across the organization to propel brand recognition and reputation for the organization. Proactively develops and executes plans to propel strategic community connections.
11. Develops strategic relationships with key medical providers, management, and members of the community to evaluate programs and services. Facilitates the execution of improvement plans.
12. Conducts quantitative and qualitative analysis to identify process improvement opportunities in areas of employee engagement and patient experience. Works with key leaders to develop and administer individual, practice and or departmental accountability plans and action plans.
13. Leads Norwalk Hospital and supports Nuvance Health in the advancement of all patient engagement and experience activities.
14. Leads the charge for developing and managing curriculum supporting empathetic relationship-based communication.
15. Maintains contemporary professional knowledge and education.
16. Demonstrates regular, reliable and predictable attendance.
17. Complies with all Nuvance Health and affiliate policies and ensure compliance with all applicable law and regulation pertinent to complaint and grievance resolution and the patient bill of rights.
18. Oversees Norwalk Hospital but may provide cross coverage or expanded coverage as needed.
19. Participate in publications, white papers and presentations to CHA, IHI, AHA and others.
20. Performs other duties as required.
21. Performs other duties as required.
Education and Experience Requirements:
Master’s degree in sociology, anthropology, psychiatry or related field with experience designing, overseeing and publishing quantitative and qualitative studies. PHD preferred.
7+ years in guiding objective improvements in reliability in complex service or product delivery environments that directly impact internal and external experience. Experience in influencing diverse segments of previous organization without formal oversight and entrepreneurial spirit translated into business results. 3 – 5 years previous management/leadership experience.
Minimum Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Requirements:
License, Registration, or Certification Requirements:
- Knowledge of Excel, Word and database applications.
- Knowledge of how to work successfully within a matrix reporting environment.
- PREFER: LEAN Sigma and LEAN principals.
Norwalk-34 Maple St
Monday Through Friday with after hours and weekends as needed
Nuvance Health and its affiliates are Section 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations and therefore eligible employees may qualify for forgiveness of certain federal student loans under the Public Service Loan Forgiveness Program.
WE ARE AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER. Qualified Applicants are considered for positions and are evaluated without regard to mental or physical disability, race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, genetic information, military or veteran status, sexual orientation, marital status or any other classification protected under applicable Federal, State or Local law.
We will endeavor to make a reasonable accommodation to the known physical or mental limitations of a qualified applicant with a disability unless the accommodation would impose an undue hardship on the operation of our business. If you believe you require such assistance to complete this form or to participate in an interview, please contact Human Resources at 203-739-7330 (for reasonable accommodation requests only). Please provide all information requested to assure that you are considered for current or future opportunities.