Full Job Description
Communications Officers shall be responsible for the operation of the communication center. These duties include but not limited to receiving and transmitting messages via radio, telephone and teletype; receiving emergency calls for service and dispatching calls for service. Multi-tasking skills are a necessity and applicants must have effective verbal communications skills. This position is in an emergency operations environment and applicants are required to work shift work. Applicants must be flexible in their ability to work different shifts and to respond to work on short notice when emergency situations arise.
No supervisory or budgetary responsibilities.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
The listed duties are essential job functions that the position has been created to perform. The list of duties is not exhaustive. The employee may be called upon to perform any task that is implied from the listed duties or is within the scope of the job summary.
1. Professionally answer telephone calls and visitors. Route, respond or receive information as needed per policy. Provide information when appropriate. Handle all emergency calls for service, in accordance with policy, while maintaining other duties simultaneously.
2. Receive and transmit appropriate verbal communications via radio as per department and FCC policies. Maintain contact with field units at all times. Maintain contact with other agencies as needed.
3. Receive, transmit and record data via computer terminals accurately. Utilize numerous terminals/keyboards simultaneously. Utilize terminals as an information source.
4. Document radio, telephone, arrest activities, etc. as required. Ensure all documents are accurately completed in a timely manner and secured for permanent record, as required by department, FCC and TCIC policies.
5. Utilize numerous forms of resource materials as needed (computers, books, logs, etc.) to assist officers and detectives duties and I dispatching calls. Keep TCIC/NCIC books and other reference materials up-to date. Type new lists as needed.
6. Type, sort, alphabetize, file and retrieve forms from filing cabinets as needed to ensure proper operations of communications center and for security of paperwork per TCIC policy.
7. Troubleshoot basic problems on equipment in dispatch and ensure all equipment is continually operating properly according to department. FCC and TCIC policies. Ensure all needed supervisors/technicians are immediately notified of needed repairs.
8. Perform light cleaning in office. Clean counters computer screens and keyboards and take out trash. Change out and properly dispose of shredder bag.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES:
Knowledge of basic computer skills.
Customer service/relations skills.
Ability to listen, comprehend and apply information received simultaneously.
Ability to multi-task and handle stressful situations.
Ability to attend in-service training courses as required.
Able to teach new employees when required
Ability to report for duty at the scheduled time when called in.
Ability to follow established guidelines/ policies, understand and apply the rules of confidentiality.
Ability to communicate, verbally and in writing using the English language
Ability to work extended periods of time in a smoke free workplace.
EDUCATION, CERTIFICATION, & EXPERIENCE
Must be 21 years of age.
High School diploma or equivalent.
Pass rigorous background investigation.
Pass hearing examination and drug screen.
Pass written general knowledge and spelling exam.
Type 40 wpm using department's typing skills evaluation program with 90% accuracy.
Must be able to work shift-work hours.
One year experience as a communications officer, 40 hour basic TCIC/NCIC certification.