We’re looking for a Vice President, Software Engineering who’s excited about building SaaS applications that deliver Calvert K-12 Curriculum to schools. As VP of Software Engineering you will bring your hands-on programming skills and software team management expertise to launch and maintain technology products within an agile SDLC process.
We are an established company with a storied history in education, yet in a lot of ways act like a startup. We strive to innovate quickly based on emerging opportunities and using data-driven design that delights our customers.
You love the dual challenge of writing code as well as manage a team of developers.
- Software Engineering Skills:
- You are a hands-on full-stack software developer who can code as well as mentor a dynamic technical team, enabling team members to reach their full potential.
- Responsible for:
- Technology integrations with schools and content partners (LTI, LIS and QTI)
- Backoffice order processing systems
- Tirelessly focused on software quality and able to institute software engineering best practices that ensure code maintainability and documentation.
- Operational Skills:
- Steeped in SDLC process and principles with a focus on
- Delivering high quality software on time and to budget.
- Using metrics to communicate software quality.
- Conduct research on leading edge technologies, as they apply to the company’s product set, and make determinations on the probability of implementation*
- Leadership Skills:
- Exhibit a scrappy “get stuff done” at all costs mindset including being able to jump in and help write code or fix issues as and when needed.
- Love the opportunity to manage the technology P&L and budget:
- Assess and communicate risks associated with technology-related investments and purchases.
- Develop business case justifications and cost/benefit analyses for technology spending and initiatives.
- Establish the company’s technical vision and lead all aspects of the company’s technological development.
- Are able to identify, attract and recruit top quality technology talent for the company as and when needed
These essential functions are not to be construed as a complete statement of all duties performed. Employees will be required to perform other job-related duties as required
- BS in Information Technology or related field and at least 15 years of direct programming and development management experience.
- Experience with elements of current Calvert technology stack that includes:
- Database (Postgres SQL, SQL Server),
- TDD (Test Driven Development),
- Mobile frameworks and notification services.
- Datacenter and managed services with hosted and cloud-based infrastructure,
- EdTech interoperability standards like LTI, QTI preferred
- Experience with SDLC, AGILE frameworks and Scrum
- Ability to actively communicate, hire, inspire and motivate all levels of staff
- Ability to work in a startup like environment managing tight schedules and budgets
- Ability to travel as needed
Job Type: Full-time
- Software Engineering: 10 years (Required)