Save lives. Fulfill yours.
At the American Cancer Society, saving lives is our mission. We achieve our mission by drawing on our humanity. Humanity made up of courage, determination, innovation, passion, empathy, and caring. These are the values that give us the advantage over cancer.
Our work is important. And so are the people doing it. The people who work at the American Cancer Society focus their diverse talents on our singular mission: to end the pain and suffering of cancer. It is a calling. And the people who answer it are fulfilled. We value our employees and nearly 2.5 million volunteers around the globe that have stood with us through the years, and we will not rest until the fight is won. And that day is drawing nearer.
The Art Director establishes, evolves or maintains conceptual and stylistic direction for specific portfolio(s) of the Society’s marketing creative, ensuring that the work meets business needs, adheres strongly to the Society’s brand, maintains principles of customer-focused design and is highly interactive, provoking response or involvement.
This role also works with a highly-collaborative team to come up with creative that is versatile and effective through a variety of mediums including digital, mobile, print and other traditional and non-traditional channels.
Position Requirements:FORMAL KNOWLEDGE:
- Provide leadership and direction for a specific enterprise-wide portfolio of creative work.
- Develop concepts for both new and established ACS properties, events, initiatives and partnerships.
- Work collaboratively with the Marketing Strategy & Planning team to understand business goals and specifications in the brief, having an active role in concept through execution.
- Define the creative direction and lead creative development for complex multi-channel campaigns; pitch concepts to clients when appropriate.
- Provide thought leadership and direction across all consumer destinations.
- Guide breakthrough thinking that ensures American Cancer Society’s interactive destinations are holistic, strategically grounded and maintain the highest standards of innovation, creativity and execution excellence.
- Partner with and encourage collaboration among creative staff across the Marketing team.
- Create and support creative campaign best practices for ACS.
- Review and provide counsel on work created by third parties such as agencies, cause marketing partners, and collaborative partners.
- Works with key IT/digital development staff for the accurate and timely deployment of digital initiatives.
- Understand the alignment of consumer touchpoints with business objectives and recommend appropriate total campaign solutions for enhancing customer experience, participation and loyalty.
Bachelor’s Degree in graphic design or equivalent. 8 or more years of progressively responsible experience in creative development, graphic design and/or art direction. Mastery of best practices in visual design, content strategy and development. Balanced understanding of design, strategy translation, usability, interaction and visual concepts across web, mobile, social and other digital platforms. Ability to translate ideas into tangible campaign ideas.
COMPETENCIES/SKILLS:Demonstrates Marketing Competencies:
- Manages ambiguity
- Customer focus
- Cultivates innovation
- Plans and aligns
- Drives results
- Builds effective teams
- Drives vision and purpose
SPECIALIZED TRAINING OR KNOWLEDGE:
- Excellent understanding of style guidelines, creative process and creative workflows.
- Outstanding internal & external relationship building skills with a demonstrated ability to collaborate, lead, negotiate and mentor.
- Superior time management, organization and people skills.
- Strong experience leading incubation and execution of concepts used to drive usage, participation and revenue.
- Solid understanding of the Society’s events, programs, initiatives and priorities.
- Ability to prioritize and manage multiple projects simultaneously with high attention to detail and accuracy.
- Strong experience across a breadth of creative concepts/ideas and campaigns.
- Strong typographical skills.
- Thorough understanding of mobile design including how to design, develop and transition brands from screen to screen.
- Should have a strong online portfolio demonstrating progressive experience in art direction and usability across multiple screens.
- High proficiency in latest MAC operating system. High proficiency in Adobe Creative Suite (specifically, InDesign, Illustrator, Photoshop, XD and Acrobat—proficiency in HTML 5 a strong plus).
We are committed to providing staff with fulfilling opportunities to learn, grow and make an impact in their local communities. We offer staff a generous paid time off policy; medical, dental and retirement benefits, and professional development programs to enhance staff skills.