Recruitment/Posting Title Administrative Assistant
Job Category Staff & Executive - Administrative & Support
Department SAS Undergraduate Education
The School of Arts and Sciences (SAS) at Rutgers University is the largest academic unit of the University and is comprised of 41 academic departments spanning humanities, social, physical and life sciences and over 100 different majors, plus programs, centers, bureaus and institutes. SAS has a membership of over 2,000 permanent and temporary faculty (instructional and research), teaching and graduate assistants, part-time lecturers, and post-doctoral appointees, and over 500 administrative staff.
Arts and Sciences delivers a wide array of services in support of the teaching, research, and service missions of the School. We are committed to providing academic departments, programs, and centers in the School of Arts and Sciences with reliable and trusted service, clear policies and procedures, innovative technologies, and a commitment to administrative excellence and efficiency.
Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey, is seeking an Administrative Assistant (AA) for the SAS Office of Undergraduate Education. This position provides administrative support to the SAS Office of Undergraduate Education (OUE), with particular attention to the SAS Career Explorations Initiative, by coordinating the administration of programs, projects, unit operations, and/or processes, and management of the preparation and control of records, statistics, reports and documents. The AA reports directly to the Department Administrator, Supervisor, and secondarily to the Director of the OUE Career Explorations Initiative and the Vice Dean for Undergraduate Education, but works independently with minimal supervision, within established work parameters, with few direct instructions. The AA provides broad, executive, and confidential administrative support to OUE staff, the Director of the Career Initiatives Program, the Associate Dean, and the Vice Dean.
Among the key duties of this position are the following:
- Serves as a department preparer for the Office of Undergraduate Education (including but not limited to expense reports, travel orders, SciQuest requests, Oracle, journal entries, cash transmittal, HCM, and office operations and maintenance, faculty charging instructions, HR payroll, etc.).
- Creates and disseminates unit communications, publicity, and informational materials, and manages unit listservs and databases such as Sakai, and similar LMS, sites sponsored by OUE, especially in support of the Career Explorations Initiative.
- Handles scheduling, logistics, course support, electronic records management and communications.
- Compiles and organizes data used for unit reporting and assessing program effectiveness.
- Handles daily correspondence and events communications, ensuring that they follow the university’s style guidelines, are accurate, and are free from errors.
- Organizes correspondence in priority order; exercises discretion in ordering documents for immediate action and forward pertinent correspondence directly to associates for their attention and follow up.
- Provides assistance with monitoring and maintaining the Career Explorations website and social media sites.
Position Status Full Time
Hours Per Week
Daily Work Shift Day
Annual Minimum Salary 40026.000
Annual Mid Range Salary 49768.500
Annual Maximum Salary 59511.000
Standard Hours 37.50
Union Description URA-AFT Administrative
Payroll Designation PeopleSoft
Information about the benefits provided to Rutgers employees can be found at: http://uhr.rutgers.edu/benefits/benefits-overview
Terms of Appointment Staff - 12 month
Position Pension Eligibility ABP
Minimum Education and Experience
- Requires a bachelor’s degree in a related field, or an equivalent combination of education and/or experience that demonstrates knowledge and understanding of office administration, organization, coordination, facilitation, bookkeeping and/or report writing.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Must be able to work independently, multitask, and effectively prioritize
- Demonstrated ability to maintain a professional and welcoming demeanor to all colleagues, students, alumni, faculty, visitors, and guests
- Good communication and organizational skills
- Computer literacy including Microsoft Office Suite and Adobe Acrobat
- Must be experienced and comfortable using Microsoft Excel to manipulate, analyze, and present data
- Demonstrated willingness to continue learning new things
- Experience using Joomla
- Experience with social media
- PC/Mac, Printer/Copier, Fax
- Microsoft Office Suite, SAKAI and similar LMS such as Canvas
- REGIS, Course Scheduling System, HCM-Peoplesoft, SciQuest, Cornerstone, and Oracle Cloud based applications
Physical Demands and Work Environment
- Work in multilevel building with upper levels only accessible via stairs.
- Lift and carry up to 50 lbs.
- Must be available to work some evenings and weekends as needed for special events.
- Meets all deadlines as indicated by supervisor. Administrative tasks are accomplished carefully and thoroughly, with appropriate questions asked when necessary to ensure that the job is done correctly.
- Demonstrates a working knowledge of university policies and procedures
Posting Number 18ST3617
Posting Open Date 11/15/2018
Special Instructions to Applicants
Regional Campus Rutgers University-New Brunswick
Home Location Campus College Ave (RU-New Brunswick)
New Brunswick, NJ, 08901
All offers of employment are contingent upon successful completion of all pre-employment screenings.