There are 10 open positions. These positions are located in the Laboratory Services, Forensic Science Labs Washington/Atlanta/San Francisco within the Office of Science and Technology, in Beltsville, MD, Walnut Creek, CA and/or Atlanta, GA.
The Firearm and Toolmark Examiner serves as a senior analyst in the examination of firearm and toolmark evidence from criminal investigations of firearm violations, bombings, and arsons.
Responsibilities will increase and assignments will become more complex as your training and experience progress.
- Performing challenging firearm and toolmark examinations without technical guidance, using scientifically sound and applicable procedures.
- Examining firearms for function testing and comparative examinations, serial number restoration and gunshot residue testing for muzzle to target distance determination.
- Examining ammunition components and comparative examination of firearm test specimens and ammunition components to determine if they share a common source.
- Examining post-blast debris and non-firearm related evidence for toolmarks, properly and accurately assessing the tool individuality, using proper procedure for developing test marks and the comparison of test marks with evidence marks.
- Serving as a subject area expert in the examination and comparison of firearm and toolmark evidence and maintaining a broad-based knowledge of all areas of forensic science.
- Providing expert witness testimony based on laboratory examinations, advising prosecutors on the appropriate approach to use in presenting scientific testimony and in the preparation of questions.
- Serves as a trainer for firearm and toolmark trainees and as an advisor to peers and lower graded firearms and toolmak examiners or technicians or specialists.
Salary ranges for each of the locations are as follows:
Atlanta, GA - $91,631.00 to $119,121.00
Beltsville,MD - $96,970.00 to $126,062.00
Walnut Creek, CA -$105,335.00 to $136,936.00
Occasional travel - Up to 5 days per month
- Job family (Series)
1397 Document Analysis
Conditions of Employment
- Must be U.S. Citizen
- May be required to serve a one year probationary period.
- Pass drug screening and subject to random drug test
- Must successfully complete a background security investigation
The time-in-grade requirement must be met by the closing date of this announcement. The qualification requirements listed below must be met by the closing date of the announcement.
~Interagency Career Transition Assistance Plan (ICTAP). The ICTAP provides eligible displaced Federal competitive service employees with selection priority over other candidates for competitive service vacancies. If your agency has notified you in writing that you are a displaced employee eligible for ICTAP consideration, you may receive selection priority if: 1) this vacancy is within your ICTAP eligibility; 2) you apply under the instructions in this announcement; and 3) you are found well-qualified for this vacancy. To be well qualified, you must satisfy all qualification requirements for the vacant position and rate equivalent to the silver or better category using established category rating criteria. You must provide proof of eligibility with your application to receive selection priority. Such proof may include a copy of your written notification of ICTAP eligibility or a copy of your separation personnel action form. Additional information about ICTAP eligibility is at: http://www.opm.gov/ctap/index.asp .
~The Career Transition Assistance Plan (CTAP) provides eligible surplus and displaced competitive service employees in the Department of Justice with selection priority over other candidates for competitive service vacancies. If your Department of Justice component has notified you in writing that you are a surplus or displaced employee eligible for CTAP consideration, you may receive selection priority if: 1) this vacancy is within your CTAP eligibility, 2) you apply under the instructions in this announcement, and 3) you are found well-qualified for this vacancy. To be well qualified, you must satisfy all qualification requirements for the vacant position and rate equivalent to the silver or better category using established category rating criteria. You must provide a copy of your written notification of CTAP eligibility with your application. Additional information about CTAP eligibility is at: http://www.opm.gov/ctap/index.asp .
~Veterans' Preference: If you are entitled to veteran preference, you should indicate the type of veteran preference you are claiming on your résumé.~ http://www.opm.gov/ctap/index.asp - In order to verify your veteran preference entitlement, please submit a copy of the Member Copy 4 of your DD-214 (Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty); official statement of service from your command if you are currently on active duty; or other official documentation (e.g., documentation of receipt of a campaign badge or expeditionary medal) that shows your military service was performed under honorable conditions.
~In addition, if you are a disabled veteran, a Purple Heart recipient, or widow/widower of a veteran, the spouse of a disabled veteran or the natural mother of a disabled or deceased veteran, you must submit a Standard Form (SF) 15, "Application for 10-Point Veteran Preference," and the other required documentation identified on the reverse side of the SF-15 to support your preference claim. If the SF-15 is not submitted, the documentation required by the form verifying the service connected disability (e.g. letter from the VA confirming the disability) must be submitted in order to receive 10-point preference consideration.
~Although veteran preference points are not assigned under the category rating procedures described under "How You Will Be Evaluated," veteran preference eligibles are listed ahead of non-veterans within each category for which they are qualified. In addition, qualified veterans with a compensable service-connected disability of 10% or more are placed at the top of the highest quality category (i.e. Gold Category)
To qualify at the GS-13 level, you must have at least (1) one year of specialized experience at, or equivalent to the next lower grade. Examples of qualifying specialized experience include:
To qualify at the GS-13 level: Must have one year ( 52 weeks ) of specialized experience at or equivalent to the GS-12 grade level performing duties such as: Preparing complex written laboratory reports resulting from criminal investigations of firearm violations; acting as a liaison with the courts, law enforcement personnel, and the public on firearm and toolmark evidence and procedures; performing specific applications involving the analysis, microscopic comparisons and identification of firearm test specimens, ammunition components, and toolmark related evidence; performing serial number restoration; preserving evidence for laboratory analysis and comparisons; providing expert witness testimony based on laboratory examinations of firearms related evidence, post-blast debris and other non-firearm related evidence for toolmarks.
- Examination and comparison of mechanical impressions in order to make determinations of identity or genuineness.
- Analysis materials by chemical, microscopic, and other methods in order to develop information useful in determinations of genuineness, origin for restoration of mutilated or obliterated matter.
Notice to Prospective Employees of Ethical Obligations from ATF’s Human Resources Operations Division. Please click on the following link to read important information. DOJ Notice to Prospective Employees of Ethical Obligations
Selective Service: If you are a male applicant born after December 31, 1959, you must certify that you have registered with the Selective Service System, or are exempt from having to do so under the Selective Service Law. See www.sss.gov.
Subject to a 5-year periodic investigation
Travel and relocation expenses: are not authorized and will not be paid.
The United States Government does not discriminate in employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, (including pregnancy, gender identify and sexual orientation), parental status, national origin, age, disability (physical and mental), family medical history or genetic information, political affiliation, military service, retaliation, or other non-merit factor.
Reasonable Accommodation Statement:
ATF provides reasonable accommodation to applicants with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the job application and hiring process, and you meet the eligibility requirements listed above, please notify the human resources specialist listed on the vacancy announcement, or contact the ATF’s Office of Equal Employment Opportunity at (202) 648-8760. The decision on granting a reasonable accommodation is handled on a case-by-case basis.
“ Federal Regulations state no ATF employee, his/her spouse, or his/her minor child shall have, directly or indirectly, any financial interest, including compensated employment, stock, or proprietary interest in the alcohol, tobacco, firearms or explosives industries. You should be aware that you may be asked to relinquish any ownership of or interests in the alcohol, tobacco, firearms or explosives industries before a determination can be made whether access to ATF information, information technology systems, and/or facilities can be authorized. ”
How You Will Be Evaluated
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
Your application will be evaluated and rated under ATF's Category Rating and Selection Procedures. Your resume and supporting documentation will be used to determine whether you meet the job qualifications listed on this announcement. If you are basically qualified for this job, your resume and supporting documentation will be compared to your responses on the online assessment questionnaire. If you rate yourself higher than is supported by your application materials, your responses may be adjusted and/or you may be excluded from consideration for this job. Your application will then be placed in one of three categories:
Gold - applicants possessing a background that demonstrates a superior level of possession of all evaluation criteria, Silver - applicants possessing a background that demonstrates a satisfactory level of possession of the evaluation criteria or Bronze - applicants possessing the specialized experience. Names of all candidates in the best qualified category will be sent to the hiring official for employment consideration. Candidates within the Gold category who are eligible for veterans preference will receive selection priority over non-veterans preference eligibles.
The assessment questionnaire is designed to measure your ability in the following competencies:
- Knowledge in firearm and toolmark examination techniques.
- Knowledge of laws, regulations and guidelines pertaining to forensic evidence and understanding of how that evidence applies to the laws on firearms, explosives, bombings, arson and other programs.
- Ability to present ideas and facts clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing; to conduct research and prepare the results of research for publication.
- Skill in analyzing issues, overcoming obstacles, fostering teamwork and coordinating the work of several organizational segments or projects.
To preview questions please click here .
Background checks and security clearance
Drug test required
- Required Documents
It is your responsibility to ensure all documents are received on time and the materials are readable. If applying on-line poses a hardship to any applicant, please contact us at the telephone number listed on this announcement. Applicants MUST CONTACT US PRIOR TO THE CLOSING DATE to speak to someone who can provide assistance for on-line submission. Requests for extensions will not be granted. Paper applications submitted without prior approval from the agency point of contact may be handled as incomplete. IMPORTANT INFORMATION: If your contact information changes after the closing date of this vacancy announcement, update your profile information in MYUSAJOBS as well as contact the Human Resources Specialist listed on this vacancy announcement to ensure you can be contacted throughout the selection process.
(1) Resume showing relevant experience (cover letter optional) (2) Veterans' preference documentation, if applicable. (3) CTAP/ICTAP documentation, if applicable. (4) Unofficial college transcript(s), if applicable. Official transcript(s) will be required prior to your first day. Prior to selection, the candidate may be required to provide an original copy of any supporting/validating documentation as well as other documentation to verify eligibility. All required materials must be uploaded using the supporting documentation instructions described in the announcement. Failure to provide the required documentation by the closing date of this announcement will result in elimination of further consideration for this position.
It is your responsibility to ensure all documents are received on time and the materials are legible.
If you are relying on your education to meet qualification requirements:
Education must be accredited by an accrediting institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education in order for it to be credited towards qualifications. Therefore, provide only the attendance and/or degrees from schools accredited by accrediting institutions recognized by the U.S. Department of Education .
Failure to provide all of the required information as stated in this vacancy announcement may result in an ineligible rating or may affect the overall rating.
A career with the U.S. Government provides employees with a comprehensive benefits package. As a federal employee, you and your family will have access to a range of benefits that are designed to make your federal career very rewarding. Learn more about federal benefits .
The Department of Justice offers a comprehensive benefits package that includes, in part, paid vacation; sick leave; holidays; telework; life insurance; health benefits; and participation in the Federal Employees Retirement System.
Review our benefits
Eligibility for benefits depends on the type of position you hold and whether your position is full-time, part-time, or intermittent. Contact the hiring agency for more information on the specific benefits offered.