Schools in the South Tampa region include:
- Anderson Elementary
- Gorrie Elementary
- Grady Elementary
- Mitchell Elementary
- Roosevelt Elementary
Assist the YMCA in Closing the Achievement Gap and cultivating an environment in which youth have a sense of belonging. Under the direction of the Site Supervisor, provide for the safety, well-being and development of participants in the after school program. Interact and serve as mentor for youth, helping to nurture their self-esteem, confidence and to reflect the Y core values when interacting with youth. Exhibit behaviors and attitudes that are consistent with the YMCA mission and policies of the association.
Essential functions and responsibilities includes, but not limited to:
Program Quality and Growth
- Maintain complete responsibility for a program group of 20-25 students when required.
- Maintain headcounts and staff ratio at all times.
- Greet children. Maintain a high level of professional courtesy with parents, facility personnel, staff and clients at all times.
- Create a positive atmosphere, which boosts self-esteem and general self-concept for all participants and staff.
- Preserve the quality of supplies, equipment and materials.
- Implement curriculum that is developmentally and culturally appropriate.
- Adhere to and ensure enforcement of program rules and communicate them positively and effectively to program participants.
- Supervise and implement activities for a group of children in accordance to both age and developmentally appropriate practices.
- Assist with the set up and cleanup of program spaces.
- Accurately complete and turn in all reports by due dates.
- Ensure the use of the electronic time and attendance if available.
- Report to work on time and as scheduled. Be in YMCA uniform at your position when your shift begins. Make arrangements to cover your job responsibilities and participants in your care if you must excuse yourself. Immediately notify your supervisor if you are going to be late or absent. Adhere to the attendance policy.
- Model, reinforce and abide by the YMCA core values of Caring, Honesty, Respect, Responsibility and the Code of Conduct. Educate yourself about other YMCA programs and promote YMCA programs.
- Report and document behavior issues daily to the Site Supervisor immediately.
- Assist with the Annual Campaign.
- Suggest ideas and actions to improve the program.
- Attend all staff meetings and training opportunities.
- Must have reliable transportation and willing to travel, if needed.
Safety and Risk Management:
- Ensure all emergency procedures are met.
- Ensure proper attendance procedures are met (sign in/sign out log daily). Report discrepancies to the Site Supervisor immediately.
- Ensure that the proper staffs to child ratios are maintained at all times and reports discrepancies to the Site Supervisor as needed.
- Provide regular inspections of areas used by the program to ensure both cleanliness and safety.
- Report any questionable signs of abuse and document the incident with the Site supervisor immediately.
- Report incidents and accidents immediately to the to the Site Supervisor and/or Assistant Site Supervisor.
- Document all incidents and accidents immediately and give to the to the Site Supervisor and/or Assistant Site Supervisor.
- Perform first aid as needed and ensure injury incident forms are completed in a timely manner. Report injuries immediately to Site Supervisor. Identify and directly report instances of unusual, disruptive, unsafe or threatening behavior, inappropriate language or conduct, or other disciplinary issues.
- Adhere to the Child Abuse & Neglect Reporting requirements, which mandate by law all childcare personnel to report suspicions of child abuse, neglect, or abandonment. The YMCA requires employees to follow the internal reporting procedures with the assistance of the Senior Program Director and Quality and Risk Management Director.
- Conduct a thirty-minute face counts to ensure that the proper staffs to child ratios are maintained at all times and reports discrepancies to the Site Supervisor immediately.
- Ensure all required medication for participant is kept on your person during programming.
Performs all other duties as assigned.
PROGRAM HOURS: AFTER SCHOOL
Mon, 12:30 p.m.-6:00 p.m.
Tue-Fri, 1:30 p.m.-6:00 p.m.
***Please fill out application at Tampaymca.org under Careers!***
Job Type: Part-time
Pay: $10.50 - $11.50 per hour
Hours per week:
Typical start time:
Typical end time:
- Bi weekly or Twice monthly
This Job Is Ideal for Someone Who Is:
- Dependable -- more reliable than spontaneous
- People-oriented -- enjoys interacting with people and working on group projects
- Adaptable/flexible -- enjoys doing work that requires frequent shifts in direction
- Detail-oriented -- would rather focus on the details of work than the bigger picture
- Achievement-oriented -- enjoys taking on challenges, even if they might fail
- Autonomous/Independent -- enjoys working with little direction
- High stress tolerance -- thrives in a high-pressure environment