- Bachelor's Degree
- Master's Degree
- Basic Computer Skills
- ACLS Certification
- Microsoft Word
- Medical Terminology
- BLS Certification
DescriptionThe Exercise RN is a professional staff member of the cardiac team with job responsibilities found within stress testing and/or cardiac rehabilitation. The Exercise RN's role within stress testing includes: conducting inpatient and outpatient cardiovascular stress tests (nuclear, stress echocardiogram and graded exercise testing) with indirect physician supervision, provide rapid response to any symptomatic customer within North Memorial Heart & Vascular Clinic and cardiac rehabilitation and communicate test results to customers. The Exercise RN assigned within cardiac rehabilitation will demonstrate competency to oversee inpatient and outpatient monitored exercise, measure hemodynamics and complete required documentation. The RN is also responsible for receiving and entering orders, as well as, monitoring customer transport to the Emergency Department and admission coordination with the inpatient units.
Cardiovascular Stress Testing
- Organizes, prepares and confirms upcoming customer test information. Determines test appropriateness, documents customer's past medical history, medications and current symptoms. Verifies current medications and medication hold instructions.
- Implements specific exercise stress test protocol in healthy and unhealthy populations, based on an understanding of risk stratification. Communicates details of the customer and test to the physician in a concise and accurate manner.
- Demonstrates an understanding of contraindications, risks and safety precautions. Interprets appearance, symptoms and significance of resting and exercise EKG patterns.
- Determines and interprets blood pressure at rest, during exercise and medication administration, and recovery
- Understands when to stop a test, when to encourage continuation, and how to tailor the exercise protocol to fit the customer's needs.
- Provides support and rapid response for staff and customers within the following departments: Nuclear, Non-Invasive, Cardiac Rehabilitation, and Clinic, for customer symptoms and change in condition.
- Establishes IV and provides site care. Prepares and administers pharmacologic agents. Administers contrast for inpatient/outpatient echocardiograms and stress echocardiograms. Assists with bubble studies for both inpatient and outpatient echocardiograms. Dobutamine preparation and supervising stress test for nuclear and echocardiogram protocols. Medication administration pre, post procedure, urgently and/or emergently and as condition warrants.
- During Inpatient Cardiac Rehabilitation (Phase I), coordinates exercise and education of inpatient clients. Evaluates appropriateness of referral to program. Conducts post-hospital activity and exercise education. Coordinates referral, treatment, and chart forms of inpatient clients to outpatient NMMC Phase II Cardiac Rehabilitation program or other out-reach programs.
- In Outpatient Cardiac Rehabilitation (Phase II), conducts initial orientation session for new outpatient clients. Leads and monitors exercise sessions. Teaches customer education classes. Direct and indirect supervision of student interns. Communicates with customer's physician regarding progress, change in condition, and other customer concerns. Establishes post-program exercise prescription.
- Effectively communicates with teammates and key partners
- Actively demonstrates interest in keeping skills current and shares/applies new information.
- Efficiently manages time and job priorities.
- Accepts other duties as assigned to promote the accomplishment of organizational goals.
- The team member is accountable to demonstrate proficiency for the skills outlined in the appropriate position skills list.
- The team member is accountable to maintain skill proficiency, including improvement where deemed necessary, and upgrading any additional or new skills on the appropriate position skills list.
- Associate's, Bachelor's or Master's degree in Registered Nursing is required.
- Bachelor's or Master's degree in Exercise Physiology, Exercise Science, Human Performance, Kinesiology or Physical Education is preferred.
- Minimum one year experience with cardiac customers in an acute care setting preferred.
- Internship in stress testing/cardiac rehabilitation or related exercise field preferred.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Strong understanding of cardiac pathophysiology, exercise physiology, EKG interpretation, arrhythmias and medications.
- Strong critical thinking skills.
- Strong knowledge of cardiology procedures and medical terminology.
- Physician relations skills.
- Proficient in the Microsoft Office applications of Word, Excel and PowerPoint.
- Basic computer literacy and the ability to learn new applications and systems.
- Ability to organize and prioritize multiple projects.
- Ability to thrive in a dynamic, sometimes chaotic environment.
License Requirement• Current Licensure in State of Minnesota as Registered Nurse
Select Requirement Type
- American College of Sports Medicine Certification