Full Job Description
The RN-PIC practices to full extent of education and licensure in the various Center’s settings and is a liaison between the Center and the academic partner. The RN-PIC precepts the academic partner’s students and participates in producing project reports. Specific clinical activities may occur in multiple contexts of client care. The value of RN-PIC role is measured through enhanced health outcomes of the clients served.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
1. Practice independently and collaboratively to full extent of education and licensure at the Center, including but not limited to: home visits, group teaching, clinical practice guideline implementation, and other primary care functions such wellness examinations, health risk appraisals, care coordination, care transitions, self-management support, and standards of care implementation.
2. Act as the primary liaison between the Center and the academic partner, University of the Incarnate Word Ila Faye Miller School of Nursing and Health Professions (UIW), in implementing the Health Resources and Services Administration (HRSA) funded project entitled Partners in Care: RNs for Tomorrow (PIC). Responsible for operationalizing the assigned UIW Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BSN) curriculum components at the Center sites.
3. Perform in the clinical nurse educator role to assure effective patient education methods in the Center settings with both students and Center staff.
4. Responsible for communicating Center client-care system changes including EHR/EMR to UIW faculty and students.
5. Participate in extracting, analyzing and reporting project-related data which aligns with HRSA Uniform Data System (UDS) metrics, Institute of Healthcare Improvement (IHI) Triple Aim measures, and the Institute of Medicine (IOM) quality domains, and/or other reporting requirements.
6. Attend and participate in required meetings, both Center and UIW.
7. Assure procedures and workflow are consistent with required objectives, protocol, regulations, and standards.
8. Provides excellent internal/external customer service via telephone, fax or face-to-face contact, outreach to assist patients with their health care needs in compliance with HIPAA regulations.
9. Performs other related duties as assigned.
Bachelor’s degree in Nursing, minimum requirement
Licensed as a Registered Nurse in the state of the Texas
Minimum three (3) years’ experience in variety of clinical settings such as primary care, pediatrics, public health, maternal-child, school health, and chronic disease management as an RN
Strong computer skills required: Minimum one-year experience with EHR/EMR required; Minimum one-year experience with Word and/or Excel required
Certification in ambulatory care or public health Nursing preferred
Experience as a clinical educator or clinical preceptor preferred
Ability to work autonomously and balance multiple priorities; manage high volumes of clients in a short span of time while addressing unpredictable issues.
Ability to plan, organize, implement, evaluate, and document health care projects.
Ability to perform effectively in an ever-changing work environment with frequent interruptions; and communicate and interact effectively with clients, co-workers, students and customers.
Bilingual in English and Spanish preferred with sensitivity to the needs and culture of the Center’s target population.
Certified in Basic Life Support (BLS), Instructor-led by the American Heart Association
Willing to accept schedule hours and/or work location changes.
REQUIRED PHYSICAL AND MENTAL ACTIVITIES AND REQUIREMENTS:
Finger Dexterity: Using fingers to make small movements such as typing or picking up small objects. Normal fine and gross motor control of fingers and hands.
Talking: Frequently conveying detailed or important instructions or ideas accurately, clearly, or quickly.
Hearing: Able to hear average or normal conversations and receive ordinary information; hear whispered voice at five (5) feet.
Repetitive Motions: Frequently and regularly using the wrists, hands, and fingers.
Visual: Visual acuity necessary for the proper evaluation of a patient and to prepare or inspect documents or other materials. Ability to accurately view computer monitors
Physical: Sitting 20-30% of time and standing, walking 70-80% of time. Lift up to 25 lbs; push and pull up to 45 lbs. Able to bend at the waist, twist and turn along axial plane.
Mental: Able to repeat three (3) objects asked to remember