The Traffic Management Center(TMC) Analyst will be responsible for monitoring and responding to real-time traffic conditions or reported concerns from the City's Traffic Management Center. The TMC Analyst will also assist the City traffic engineer with creating necessary reports or applications to analyze traffic data, automate processes to assist with management of all Intelligent Transportation System(ITS) Infrastructure, and research new technologies/methodologies which with continue to improve on current capabilities.
Summary of Duties:
- Identify traffic incidents such as disabled/abandoned vehicles, traffic accidents, or street congestion and report to traveling public via City's ITS website or Dynamic Message Signs. Also report any disabled vehicles or accidents to police dispatch.
- Use the City's Advanced Traffic Management System(ATMS) to modify traffic signal timings to help alleviate traffic congestion or address reported concerns by the Public. Work with City Traffic Engineer to develop possible mitigation.
- Monitor health of all ITS devices from TMC and create work orders to inform traffic signal technicians to repair/troubleshoot any failures.
- Develop knowledge of City's Asset/Work Order System.
- The position will be responsible for gathering and processing traffic data to complete travel time, incident, traffic volume and other reports that are needed by the Traffic Division.
- Respond to service requests submitted by the public with regards to mobility concerns. All work must be properly documented and recorded in the City's work order system.
- Program and test traffic controllers from the TMC as instructed by the City Traffic Engineer to address specific concerns or limitations.
- Facilitating incident management support from Traffic Management Center. Assists with managing traffic for special events or emergencies within the City from the Traffic Management Center (TMC) to assist as needed. Coordinate any necessary instructions to field personal assisting with special events or emergencies.
- Coordination with UPRR, TxDOT, FBC, Centerpoint, Etc. to report or work through Traffic related items
- Work with computers to setup/configure ITS devices using serial or Ethernet connections. Learn multiple software configuration programs to complete tasks.
- Assist City Traffic Engineer with creation and reporting of performance metrics reported monthly or quarterly with regards to effectiveness/performance of traffic using data collected at TMC.
- Assist in signal timing plan development using Synchro or Tru-Traffic
- Dispatch Emergency Response Trailer as required to assist with closure of lanes
- Compose and Post messages to the City's permanent Dynamic Message Signs
- Create reports or dashboards using Microsoft Power BI.
- Ability to utilize Data Analysis Expressions (DAX) in Microsoft Power BI to analyze data
- Maintain accurate, detailed and timely records in accordance with established division guidelines.
- Perform duties and responsibilities with a positive, flexible approach considering the possibility of emergency situations, special projects, and/or after-hours activities.
- Ability to create computer scripts/applications using common computer languages (html, Python, VBA, GO, C#, or similar) to analyze and present traffic data
- Assume and perform other responsibilities, duties, and assignments as assigned.
- Bachelor's Degree from an accredited four -year college or university or a related field or equivalent Public Works experience.
• Obtain Engineer in Training Certificate within 18 months from date of hire for engineering candidates
Relatable Work Experience:
Training (License and/or Certification):
- Prefer 1-2 years of proven experience related to job description with focus on traffic engineering, analysis, and creating solutions using computer programming.
- Prefer any related Licenses/Certifications related to job description
- Valid Class "C" Texas Driver's License
This position requires Saturday hours from 11:00am to 3:30pm every other week.