At CenterPoint Energy, our vision is to lead the nation in delivering energy, service and value. We have an unwavering commitment to safety and reliably deliver electricity and natural gas to millions of people.
CenterPoint Energy and its predecessor companies have been in business for more than 150 years. We’ve created an energy delivery company with electric and natural gas utility businesses and competitive energy businesses that benefit our shareholders, customers, employees and communities.
The strength is in our numbers:
- Operate electric and natural gas utility businesses in 8 states
- Competitive energy businesses’ footprint in nearly 40 states
- Assets totaling nearly $34 billion
- Approximately 14,000 employees
As a Manager, GIS Application Development
, you will manage and develop geographic information system solutions, and interfaces for the enterprise. You will be fully responsible for the ongoing development and deployment of the applications that provide GIS data, analyses and maps to support effective and efficient CenterPoint operations. Also, you will ensure that the technical work and responsibilities are carried out effectively; develop and maintain the budget; manage staff; and coordinate with other work units that have responsibility for systems and processes that collect, produce or use GIS data.
Specifically, you’ll have the opportunity to:
- Administer and manage the operation of GIS development within the company including standards compliance, system analyses and programming
- Manage the design and implementation of production standards and procedures for development of associated databases and products
- Formulate policies and procedures for integration of GIS services with clients' requirements
- Negotiate software and data agreements to assure development of GIS with maximum benefit to clients
- Manage professional and technical staff, including developers, consultants and contractors
- Assign, schedule, coordinate staff workloads in accordance with project requirements and priorities
- Research new developments and applications in geographic information systems
- Establish, manage and monitor organizational performance, activities and goals, and follow through to ensure completion.
- Develop long and short-term strategies to include performance goals and staffing, with respect to corporate and business unit requirements.
- Manage division personnel according to established policies, including counseling, evaluations, promotions, discipline and rates of pay.
- Maintain positive working relationships with staff, business units, support organizations, and all levels of management throughout the organization, as well as contract staff.
- Work closely with IT to ensure compliance with TOPIC process and other corporate protocols.
- Develop service level commitments in accordance with organizational requirements.
- Manage projects to implement software, hardware, system interfaces and/or processes according to schedule and budget.
- Prepare and deliver oral and written communications to all levels of employees and executives.
- Assess GIS process and application training needs and deliver training programs as required.
- Anticipate and evaluate changing business requirements and technology improvements to identity and implement opportunities for technological or process changes
- Provide guidance, direction and developmental opportunities that allow staff talents to be identified and reach their maximum potential.
- Represent GIS and/or CenterPoint Energy on internal as well as external work teams.
- Experience with Agile software development process.
- Analyze organization's existing agile development infrastructure and implement improvements to it based upon streamlining processes and ensuring the delivery of the final product.
- Practical work experience as a scrum master, Certification as a CSM (Certified Scrum Master) is preferred.
- Able to apply extensive knowledge of ESRI ArcGIS and extensions, ArcGIS Server, ArcSDE, ArcFM and extensions.
- Able to apply extensive knowledge of Oracle or related RDBMS skills, Windows and Citrix.
Bachelor’s degree required.
Minimum of seven years of application development experience.
- Two years supervisory/lead experience preferred
- Certified Scrum Master
- Agile software development process
- Oracle database