NEW CREATION UNITED METHODIST CHURCH
DURHAM, NORTH CAROLINA
New Creation United Methodist Church is an intentionally integrated and welcoming community that seeks new life in Jesus Christ through radical discipleship, worship, reconciliation, hospitality, and justice in our Durham community. www.newcreationumcdurham.org
POSITION TITLE: Administrative Assistant (part-time)
POSITION SUMMARY: Assist the pastor and church volunteers in completing administrative duties for the church, maintaining 29 hours per week.
- Strong computer literacy, including conducting internet searches and learning new software
- Intermediate proficiency with the Microsoft Word Suite, including creating and editing spreadsheets, Word documents, and PowerPoint presentations
- Experience with QuickBooks and OnRealm Software highly desirable
- Strong communication skills (oral and written)
- Ability to work in a cooperative environment
- Ability to pass a background check
- High school diploma or equivalent required plus 3 years of experience (preferred)
Weekly duties will include but are not limited to:
- Answer phone and check voicemail messages.
- Prepare church bulletins, calendar of events, scriptures, and Spanish translations (assistance provided by a Spanish speaker).
- Prepare prayer list and weekly newsletter to email to the congregation.
- Create worship service materials, which may include PowerPoint slides.
- Sort mail for the pastor and relevant committees.
- Read and respond to general church email correspondence and maintain confidentiality.
- Maintain and update contact database, church mailing and email list.
- Ensure church calendar is accurate and up to date.
- Prepare written documents.
- Inventory and order needed office supplies.
- Maintain church office equipment.
- Make copies and keep office files current.
- Occasional intake with church neighbors in need of financial assistance.
- Coordinate use of church facility with the church trustees and note on church calendar.
- Send welcome letters to visitors and alert committee members of interests.
- Notify Finance Team of any checks received.
- Receive bills and arrange for due date payment.
- Organize bills and financial records.
- Enter finances – (expenses & deposits) into QuickBooks with plans to move to the cloud-base church management solution "onRealm" in the future.
- Bi-Weekly distribution information to congregation (perhaps in weekly newsletter) as provided by the Finance Team.
Monthly duties will include but are not limited to:
- Maintain and update church membership roster.
- Prepare bulk church mailings/emails for special events.
- Reconcile account with bank statements.
Other less frequent duties will include but are not limited to:
- Assist in compiling data for quarterly/annual district and conference reports.
- Inventory and order needed worship supplies (e.g., baptismal booklets, marriage counseling forms, special ceremony items, etc.).
- Assist with planning for special events, such as baptisms, weddings, and holiday services.
- Prepare new member packets.
- Help finance committee with the annual stewardship/pledge campaign.
This list of duties is not meant to be inclusive, as there may be various other tasks needed to assure the smooth administration and planning of the church. The administrative assistant will support the pastor in completing these duties.
Knowledge of the United Methodist Church would be helpful for this position.
Send updated resume and cover letter by to:
New Creation UMC Staff/Pastor-Parish Relations Committee
No phone calls, please. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.
The position will remain open until filled.
New Creation United Methodist Church is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Job Type: Part-time
Pay: $15.00 - $16.00 per hour
- Microsoft Office: 3 years (Required)
- web based application: 3 years (Required)
- Office Administration: 3 years (Required)
- High school or equivalent (Required)
Hours per week:
Typical start time:
Typical end time:
- Expense reports
- Processing payments
This Job Is:
- A good fit for applicants with gaps in their resume, or who have been out of the workforce for the past 6 months or more
- A job for which all ages, including older job seekers, are encouraged to apply
- Open to applicants who do not have a college diploma
- A job for which people with disabilities are encouraged to apply
Company's Facebook page:
- Only full-time employees eligible