The Registrar is responsible for the business aspect of the department as well as the patient focused care delivery within the department. Activities include: registration, insurance verification and notification, updating of financial and demographic information, reception and other duties as assigned.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
1. Greet and direct patients, visitors, and staff.
2. Answers telephones promptly and courteously. Directs calls to appropriate personnel and/or departments, takes messages and assures delivery of same.
3. Collects and distributes patient referral information received from affiliated physicians.
4. Escorts visitors and patients to appropriate areas; provides information to assist patient and/or visitors.
5. Is open and responsive to the diverse backgrounds and experience of other people and promotes an environment that is sensitive to cultural diversity.
6. Distributes departmental reading material such as Emergency Department brochure, Health Care Proxy and Patient Bill of Rights. Ensures such documents are readily available.
7. Registers patients by updating or entering patient demographic, financial information and emergency contact data into the computer system.
8. Verifies demographic information and insurance coverage by interviewing patient/family member/friend.
9. According to policy and established procedure generates patients’ chart and attaches pertinent information such as Emerg Card, Medicaid threshold and EMS sheet, etc.
10. According to policy and established procedure reviews discharged patient charts for diagnosis, physician signature, dictation code, menu and appropriate forms for completion.
11. According to established policy and procedure processes specimens for laboratory(ies) by assuring that specimens are appropriately labeled, forms are competed and identification processes have been followed.
12. File charts and retrieve old records.
13. Retrieves completed charts, addressograph plate and all supporting documents from patient treatment area.
14. Enters data into required computerized system.
15. Maintains patient recall file.
16. According to policy and established procedures insured that all papers, forms, etc. are stamped appropriately.
17. Logs patients on/in to the appropriate registration sheets/logs. Reconcile log books.
18. Obtains signatures for consent.
19. Makes clinic appointments.
20. Other duties as assigned.
Shared Duties and Responsibilities Across Department
1. Greet visitors and answer telephones promptly and courteously. Escort visitors to appropriate area, when necessary. Provide information and make referrals when appropriate.
2. Answer Call System and refer to appropriate staff.
3. Maintain a safe, clean and functional environment, including removing trash and bringing physical plant and equipment problems to the attention of the managers.
4. Transport patients on stretchers or wheelchairs, as required.
5. Assists in interpreting, as required by current protocols.
High school graduate or GED
6 - 9 months of health care experience in order to become familiar with institutional policies and procedures preferred.
Licensing and Certification Requirements (if applicable)
Certified Application Counselor designation as authorized by NYS DOH if primary duties are related to financial assistance program (preferred)
MS Office Suite (please check one): (basic)(intermediate)(advanced)
General Skills and Competencies
· Interpersonal skills to effectively communicate and collaborate with other members of the department and patients.
· Work requires a high school level of knowledge (graduate or equivalent) in order to prepare reports, keep records and deal effectively with people.
· Knowledge of keyboard and basic computer skills.
· Ability to set priorities, problem solve, use proper judgment in difficult situations and be flexible.
· Sufficient oral and writing skills in the English language in order to communicate effectively.
Job Type: Full-time
Pay: $15.00 - $23.00 per hour
- Dental insurance
- Disability insurance
- Employee assistance program
- Health insurance
- Life insurance
- Paid time off
- Professional development assistance
- Retirement plan
- Tuition reimbursement
- Vision insurance
- Day shift
- Monday to Friday
- No weekends
- High school or equivalent (Preferred)
- Customer Service: 1 year (Preferred)
- Computer Skills: 1 year (Preferred)
Relocation Assistance Provided:
- Personal protective equipment provided or required
- Temperature screenings
- Social distancing guidelines in place
- Virtual meetings
- Sanitizing, disinfecting, or cleaning procedures in place