This position is responsible for providing professional quality engineering service and technical support involving technical quality, in-process quality, and customer service. Supports total quality program to improve cost, productivity, yields and customer requirements.
The QC Engineer will focus on internal quality, process and metallurgical control, process & new equipment development, as well as external/customer quality, process control and metallurgical development for end use applications, and new product development.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
1. Develops Product Standard Manual including product
specifications, tolerances, mechanical properties, etc. for
distribution to all customers in order to promote a better
understanding of products and product identification.
2. Communicates customer requirements to all affected
employees in order to maximize understanding of customers'
needs and increases customer service through fewer errors,
claims or complaints.
3. Develops, defines and implements standardized routing
practices for inclusion in AS400 and Lev II computers to insure
consistent and repetitive process routing for maximum quality
4. Studies and researches customer product needs to insure
the proper application of products to meet the specific
customer end use requirements and maximize customer relation-
5. Develops, researches and defines annealing conditions to
maximize AP lines' capacity, quality and cost savings.
6. Operates within standards and quality practices; ASTM
testing standards; ASTM, ASME, AMS minimum mechanical
properties and dimensional tolerances; and customer product
7. Format Data Entry
Format requests from inside sales to be reviewed and responded
to the issuing person the same day. (Received am/respond pm,
or received pm/respond am).
8. Material disposition at finishing lines (quality solution).
This can be considered the last step at involved in
Quality Control's participation in order follow-up, to be
completed within 24 hours of last process date. Special
process verification of CAP processed material.
9. Order Follow Up
Critical orders (defined by nature of applications, Sales or
Past performance) to be followed up by Quality Control. This
includes identifying critical needs of the order,
communicating these critical needs to the proper section within
the organization, monitoring and controlling the critical
needs during the critical stages of production and assisting
Material Control in ensuring on-time delivery of product.
10. Customer Claims and Complaints
Customer claims or complaints received from customer, field or
inside sales to be reviewed, analyzed and dispositioned within
72 hours. In case of situations requiring customer visits,
these dispositions to be done within 2 to 3 weeks of the
initial claim notification. This also involves follow up and
dispositioning of returning material.
11. Customer visits (visits to customer locations/customer visits
to the company). Visits to be included are initial visits for
establishing customer specification requirements, follow up
visits for product evaluation and visits for evaluating
claims and complaints.
12. Customer Support
This support activity mainly involves technical support
offered to the customer involving new products or product
sold by the company to the customer. 13. Melt Shop/Hot Mill/Cold Mill/Long Products internal quality review & analysis.
14. This section of QC is responsible for reporting productivity
status and managing special in-house projects.
15. Internal Quality- Analyzes quality by line, crew, data
collection. Assists in determining appropriate corrective
16. Production & Productivity Analysis- Analyzes production and
productivity by-line, data collection and analysis, during
down time and slow downs.
17. Yield- analyzes yields by line, crew and recommends improvements for production lines.
18. Areas of focus for analysis will be Melt Shop, Hot Rolling,
Cold Rolling. All areas integrated with these
processing facilities are within the scope of responsibility
for the Engineer.
SUPPLEMENTAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
Distribution and/or End user Accounts
Precertification/Test Certificate Errors
Special Process Verification
Levels of Accomplishment
- Level I: -Format creation, understanding of codes in relation to
- Release of material to ship through Quality solutions
- Level II: Level I in addition to the following:
- Claims/Complaints analysis through review of internal
(processing, production, equipment, procedures at error) or
metallurgical reason for issue of claim/complaint.
Level III: Level II in addition to the following:
- Product support and development internally or externally
MINIMUM EDUCATION, SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- Routing standard and details involved
- Certification and pre-certification maintenance
- Retention (all QC releases) system disposition
- Order follow up, trial simulation, customer end-user support.
1. Minimum of B.S. in Engineering. Metallurgical/Material Science or Mechanical
Bottom line requirements:
1. Bachelor's Degree in Engineering, Metallurgical Science, Material Science or Mechanical Engineering or related?
2. 2+ years of Quality Control experience in a steel plant or similar setting?