APPLICANTS MUST APPLY AT: https://www.schoolspring.com/jobs/job.cfm?jid=3206799&
"…Only in thoughtful schools can thoughtful students be hatched.
And this requires thoughtful leaders."
~ Ted Sizer, Founder, Essential Schools Coalition
Sizer School, a North Central Charter Essential School, is a public school where students are known personally, challenged intellectually, and participate actively in their learning. Guided by its commitment to diversity and inclusiveness, the school seeks to send graduates into the world who THINK for themselves, CARE about others, and ACT creatively and responsibly.
The Executive Director (ED) serves as the chief executive officer of Sizer School, reporting directly to the
Board of Trustees. The ED has ultimate responsibility for the academic success of Sizer School. Their primary responsibility is to ensure the success of the mission and vision of the school and the renewal of the school’s charter. The ED is responsible for direct supervision of the principal and others as outlined in the school’s organization chart.
The Executive Director of Sizer School will possess an advanced degree in a relevant field and 5+ years experience in administrative education management.
The Executive Director will demonstrate:
➢ Commitment to Sizer School’s mission and to student success;
➢ A willingness and ability to set and maintain the highest degree of expectations for all policies, and procedures;
➢ An ability to draw on data to drive practices;
➢ An ability to connect with and listen to others, including community, parents, students, colleagues, and trustees;
➢ Experience with diverse populations; and
➢ An ability to develop, support and manage a successful staff.
Adherence to the Mission and Vision (as defined by the charter)
- Guides constituents in understanding and implementing the mission and vision of the school; and
- In conjunction with the Board of Trustees, develops strategic plans with annual accountability goals in line with the terms of the school’s charter and establishes systems for implementing, evaluating, and revising goals.
Public Relations and Community
- Articulates the mission and vision of Sizer School to the community, setting the tone for the school’s culture of high academic and social expectations;
- Develops annual reports which demonstrate progress toward goals;
- Represents the school to constituents, stakeholders, and the broader community (e.g., media, marketing); and
- Networks and takes a visible position within the broader community.
- Sets effective and appropriate organizational and budgetary priorities to maximize student achievement;
- Works with the Board of Trustees to develop and manage the annual operating budget;
- Ensures the financial viability of the school and implements proper financial controls;
- Oversees preparation of monthly financial reports to the Board of Trustees;
- Implements appropriate fiscal management, including payroll;
- Takes the lead and works with the Foundation to raise funds to meet operational and capital needs; and
- Advances a clearly defined plan that guides all fundraising and marketing strategies employed by the school.
Compliance and Regulatory
- Supervises the filing of all legal and regulatory documents;
- Monitors compliance with relevant laws and regulations;
- Serves, along with the Board of Trustees, as the steward of the charter;
- Ensures compliance with all relevant state and federal regulations; and
- Maintains official set of records for the Board of Trustees.
- Maintains oversight of academic programs, ensuring that programs adhere to school mission;
- Collaborates with principal to ensure quality and reports out of academic performance;
- Evaluates and reports on the success of the academic program;
- Ensures a positive, structured and safe learning environment for all students;
- Oversees the development, implementation, and evaluation of programmatic and safety policies and procedures;
- Develops personnel policies which promote sustainable and satisfying work environment;
- Ensures the maintenance of an appropriate facility which promotes the mission and vision of the school (e.g. rent, upkeep, renovation, purchase);
- Oversees personnel procedures, negotiates salaries, and benefits;
- Ensures the recruitment and retention of a representative student body;
- Manages implementation of technology, including information management, networking and website upkeep; and
- Coordinates monthly board meeting and prepares a management report with recommendations for presentation at monthly board meetings.
Job Type: Full-time
- Health insurance
- Professional development assistance
- Paid time off
- Dental insurance