*Housing Services Specialist
Location: Manhattan *
About Nazareth Housing:
Nazareth Housing, a not-for-profit community-based organization, is committed to the promotion of housing stability and economic independence among vulnerable families and individuals of New York
City through the provision of homelessness prevention services, emergency family shelter, supportive housing, and urgent needs assistance. Since 1983 we have been opening doors, transforming lives, and unlocking human potential.
The Housing Services Specialist, an integral member of the Social Services Team at Nazareth
Housing, assists all resident households in our Emergency Family Shelter program on the Lower East
Side in their search for permanent housing. Our Manhattan based program has been serving families with dependent children for more than two decades.
The Housing Services Specialist assists homeless families resident in our buildings in their search for permanent housing by coordinating all housing search activities leading to a family’s successful placement and transition into permanent housing.
Housing and family assessment case management skills needed include:
- Detailed knowledge of all City, State and Federal housing assistance programs.
- Develop a permanent housing case strategy plan with realistic objectives and action steps towards achieving the family’s goal of obtaining permanent housing.
- Meet weekly with all adult residents to monitor and evaluate housing search activities.
- Monitor the submission and processing of all housing applications to ensure clients’ access to all appropriate housing options.
- Fully document all services in CARES and Foothold AWARDS programs.
- Coordinate housing search with all involved agencies including HPD, NYCHA, Section 8, Low
Income and assist client with housing applications.
- Cultivates and maintains strong working relationships with network of landlords and realtors.
- Facilitate and host housing workshops which address client issues and needs, identify, research and distribute information on and making use of housing resources to families.
- Field work minimum two half days in compliance with city agency standards.
- Arrange apartment viewings and interviews with landlords, guide and prepare clients for interviews with landlords and brokers, escort clients to apartment viewings as needed.
- Be an effective team member by working collaboratively with the Emergency Family Shelter
Services Team (Case Manager, Recreational Coordinator, Program Director and Director of Social
Services) to assess the housing needs of each resident family.
- Arrange, along with the Program Director, weekly inspections of each transitional housing unit for cleanliness & maintenance.
- Coordinate Move-In/Move-Out inspections.
- Bachelor’s degree preferred; Associates degrees will be considered.
- Minimum 2 years of experience related to housing for homeless or low-income households required.
- Strong knowledge of housing subsidies and supportive housing programs as well as application procedures
- Strong written and oral communication skills
- Detailed oriented and demonstrated ability to multi-task.
- Bilingual English/Spanish
- Computer proficiency with case management system experience. Knowledge of CARES and
- Ability to build strong collaborative relationships with staff, landlords and partner agencies.
- Must work 1 Saturday/month as well as evening shift (8PM) one day a week.
- Travel throughout NYC required using public transportation.
Commensurate with experience.
Due to the high volume of applicants, only qualified candidates will be contacted.
Nazareth Housing is an Equal Opportunity Employer that recruits and hires qualified candidates without regard to race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, disability or veteran status.
Job Type: Full-time
- Housing Services: 2 years (Required)
- English/Spanish (Preferred)