Job Title: Executive Chef (Summer and Retreat Center)
Reports to: Assistant Director/ Retreat Center Coordinator
Camp Laurelwood allows campers the ability to explore and enhance Jewish identity and values, encourage healthy lifestyle choices, and lay the foundation for positive, lifelong friendships.
Summary: The Executive Chef at Camp Laurelwood is responsible for overseeing food preparation and cooking during the summer and retreat center season. Responsibilities include kitchen cleanliness and safety,
Summer Camp Responsibilities: Hours and Days Off
June 1-August 15 (last day of camp) on average
One full day off each week
Breakfast, Lunch, and Dinner is required 7 days/week for up to 400 people
Rentals Responsibilities: Hours and Days Off
May 1-June 15ish
August 16-October 31
Two full days off in a row each week, when available
On working days without a rental group, kitchen preparation and maintenance will be daily from
9:30am-4:30pm, with a half-hour break for lunch
All meals required by visiting camps and retreat groups must be coordinated and staffed appropriately
There will be time (TBD) pre and post work needed done. The length of time will be determined at time of hire.
- Works closely with the Director/Assistant Director/ Retreat Center Coordinator, Chefs & Kitchen
Staff to provide healthy and nutritious meals for campers, staff, volunteers, and retreat participants
- Help to supervise, train and support kitchen staff, oversee food service operations
- Assist with creation and implementation of kitchen routines and take initiative to increase knowledge of kitchen duties and practices
- Daily preparation and cooking of various meal components while ensuring kitchen prep, cooking and cleaning tasks are completed in a timely manner and meet quality controls set by management
- Create and implement a diverse 2-week menu cycle menu of meals and snacks that are nutritionally balanced for both “regular” and “vegetarian” diets
- Works with Health Center, Head Counselors, and Division Heads to make sure all dietary needs are met appropriately, including allergies
- Prepare large amounts of food; adjust recipes by expanding or reducing amounts of ingredients
- Ensure timely preparation and serving of quality meals with ample selection and nutrition
- Follow portion controls and presentation specifications
- Follow proper procedures for food receiving, handling and storage.
- Demonstrate and require proper knife handling and cutting, chopping and slicing techniques.
- Maintain quality kitchen environment by practicing proper cleaning, safety, sanitation and organizational skills.
- Monitor all refrigeration and dishwashing devices, daily, for proper temperatures – work with
Caretaker if problems.
- Follow all staff policies and procedures to ensure a safe work and living environment.
- Help to ensure all aspects related to the Food Service Department are at or above minimum standards required by the New York State Health Department.
- These are not the only duties to be performed Some duties may be reassigned and other duties may be assigned as required.
- Three-year minimum experience in food service
- Previous camp experience preferred
- Will hold a valid Qualified Food Operator (QFO) Certificate (from ServSafe or equivalent) as required by the Madison Health District. As well as be familiar with Madison Health District health code requirements
- Strong understanding and knowledge in proper use and maintenance of all kitchen equipment
- Must pass a Certified Criminal and Sex Offender Registry Background Checks which will be become a permanent document in the personnel file
- Ability to communicate and work with campers and staff
- Ability to communicate with parents about dietary needs when necessary
- Arrive at the kitchen on time and with a clean and neat appearance
- Follow, model and enforce all camp rules, policies and procedures
- Physical ability to cook and move large amounts of food
- Ability to create a positive team environment
- Ability to work with all staff as a strong active team member to develop best work practices and problem solve
- Ability to make decisions and take initiative
- Ability to accept guidance and supervision
- Demonstrated ability to perform essential functions under pressure
Housing is provided
Job Type: Contract
Pay: $750.00 - $1,500.00 per week
- Culinary: 5 years (Preferred)
- Supervisor: 3 years (Preferred)
- Kosher Cooking: 1 year (Preferred)
- Madison, CT 06443 (Required)
- Bi weekly or Twice monthly