The mission of the Department of Health and Mental Hygiene (DOHMH) Bureau of Immunization (BOI) is to prevent the occurrence and transmission of diseases through immunization. The BOI promotes the immunization of children, adolescents and adults against numerous diseases such as hepatitis A, hepatitis B, measles, mumps, rubella, varicella, diphtheria, tetanus, pertussis, Haemophilus influenzae type B, polio, influenza, pneumococcal disease, meningococcal disease, and the human papillomavirus (HPV). BOI maintains the Citywide Immunization Registry (CIR), a database of immunizations reported to DOHMH, to help ensure that all New Yorkers receive recommended vaccines and are, thereby, protected against vaccine-preventable diseases. This position will be responsible for implementing quality improvement activities as part of a new project of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) called Immunization Quality Improvement for Providers (IQIP). This project will be implemented among health care providers participating in the Vaccines for Children (VFC) program to raise immunization coverage levels. The BOI's VFC program distributes publicly purchased vaccines to over 1,300 provider offices across NYC for administration to children and adolescents from low-income families.
DUTIES WILL INCLUDE BUT NOT BE LIMITED TO:
- Conduct IQIP site visits to provider offices to review CIR reports on the provider's immunization coverage rates, offer peer-to-pee education, and engage in a clinic workflow analysis to help providers improve their vaccination coverage.
- Identify barriers to immunization during site visits and makes appropriate recommendations to improve immunization delivery.
- Identify health care providers who would most benefit from an IQIP visit and schedules the visits.
- Train BOI non-clinical staff to effectively communicate with health care providers and support immunization quality improvement strategies.
- Assist in the preparation of materials and development of resources to increase the effectiveness of IQIP site visits.
- Document IQIP site visit data in internal and external tools, databases, and systems.
- Analyze status and progress of site visits; prepares and reviews reports, as required.
- Conduct outreach and educates health care providers in large health care facilities and networks to promote the importance of on-time vaccination of children and adolescents.
Minimum Qual Requirements
1. A valid New York State license as a Registered Nurse, a baccalaureate degree in Nursing from an accredited college and a masters degree in Nursing, Public Health or a related field, plus two (2) years of recent experience in public health or hospital nursing in the field of communicable diseases, one (1) year of which must have been in a supervisory, administrative, consultative or educational capacity; or
2. Education and/or experience equivalent to "1" above. However, all candidates must have a valid New York State license as a Registered Nurse, a baccalaureate degree in Nursing from an accredited college, and the one year of supervisory, administrative, consultative, or educational experience as described in "1" above.
- At least 2years of pediatric clinical experience
- Background in health promotion outreach and education, especially as it relates to immunization
- Experience with peer-to-peer education, practice level quality improvement, and delivery of best practice messages to providers
- Excellent interpersonal, oral/written communication skills, and ability to take public transportation to and from site visits across the 5 boroughs
**IMPORTANT NOTES TO ALL CANDIDATES:
If you are called for an interview you will be required to bring to your interview copies of original documentation, such as:
- A document that establishes identity for employment eligibility, such as: A Valid U.S. Passport, Permanent Resident Card/Green Card, or Driver’s license.
- Proof of Education according to the education requirements of the civil service title.
- Current Resume
Additional documentation may be required to evaluate your qualification as outlined in this posting’s “Minimum Qualification Requirements” section. Examples of additional documentation may be, but not limited to: college transcript, experience verification or professional trade licenses.
If after your interview you are the selected candidate you will be contacted to schedule an on-boarding appointment. By the time of this appointment you will be asked to produce the originals of the above documents along with your original Social Security card.
The federal government provides student loan forgiveness through its Public Service Loan Forgiveness Program (PSLF) to all qualifying public service employees. Working with the DOHMH qualifies you as a public service employee and you may be able to take advantage of this program while working full-time and meeting the program’s other requirements.
Please visit the Public Service Loan Forgiveness Program site to view the eligibility requirements:
"FINAL APPOINTMENTS ARE SUBJECT TO OFFICE OF MANAGEMENT & BUDGET APPROVAL”
Apply online with a cover letter to https://a127-jobs.nyc.gov/. In the Job ID search bar, enter: job ID number # 440647.
We appreciate the interest and thank all applicants who apply, but only those candidates under consideration will be contacted.
The NYC Health Department is committed to recruiting and retaining a diverse and culturally responsive workforce. We strongly encourage people of color, people with disabilities, veterans, women, and lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender and gender non-conforming persons to apply.
All applicants will be considered without regard to actual or perceived race, color, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, marital or parental status, disability, sex, gender identity or expression, age, prior record of arrest; or any other basis prohibited by law.
This position is open to qualified persons with a disability who are eligible for the 55-a Program. Please indicate in your resume that you would like to be considered for the position under the 55-a Program
New York City Residency is not required for this title.