Full Job Description
Linux Systems Engineer
This position requires the ability to obtain and maintain a clearance from the Department of Energy. As such, this position is a Workplace Substance Abuse program (WSAP) testing designed position which requires passing a pre-placement drug test and participation in an ongoing random drug testing program in which employees are subject to being randomly selected for testing. The occupant of this position will also be subject to an ongoing requirement to report to any drug-related arrest or conviction or receipt of a positive drug test result.
Who are we looking for?
A talented Linux System Engineer to design, install, configure and maintain systems in the Knowledge Discovery Infrastructure (KDI).
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or related technical subjects or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- A minimum of 7 years of experience with design, installation, configuration and maintenance of Linux Systems
- Design, install, configure, and maintain (including patching) Linux systems, Storage, Backup, and application software in support of research needs. Provide consulting in the selection and purchase of hardware and software systems.
- Provide configuration management utilizing Puppet and Ansible.
- Ensure the secure and effective operation of computing systems through compliance with procedures and IT Internal Operating Procedures.
- Troubleshoot system problems quickly and effectively.
- Work with other systems engineers and vendors to resolve hardware and software issues.
- Answer escalated user calls in addition to primary project work.
- Develop and document procedures including, but not limited to, startup, execution, shutdown, backup, and recovery.
- Monitor systems performance and availability with Check_MK and other monitoring tools.
- Install and configure software, both commercial packages and various open source packages.
- Perform Tool evaluation working with our Cyber Security team to ensure secured tools enter our infrastructure.
- Maintain documentation/notes on software builds and installs.
- Work with scientific users to determine needs, and balance needs against cyber requirements to provide a solution that meets the requirements of both.
- Port, modify and write system management, logging and scientific tools.
- Support data storage systems and backup services.
- Assist users with use of computing systems.
- Promote operational efficiency and reliability through automation.
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or related technical subjects or equivalent combination of education and experience with 10+ years of experience managing UNIX/Linux Systems.
- Strong knowledge of multiple operating systems.
- Experience with RHEL6/7/8, VMware ESXi 6.
- Experience with Hadoop
- Familiarity with version control systems such as Git, Subversion, Bazaar, etc.
- Knowledge of networking fundamentals including TCP/IP, traffic analysis, common protocols and network diagnostics.
- Experience with performance and diagnostic tools for benchmarking, analysis and tuning of systems, networking and storage.
- Experience with virtualization hypervisors (VMware, KVM, LXC).
- Experience with CFEngine, Puppet, Ansible, and other configuration management systems
- Experience with Nagios, CheckMK, Solarwinds, Ganglia, and other network and device monitoring systems.
- Experience with various storage architectures, filesystems and hardware (iSCSI, SAS, Panasas, Netapp, Lustre, LVM, XVM, ext3, ext4).
- Experience with various open source backup solutions (Bacula, BackupPC, Amanda).
- Previous experience working in a government, scientific, or other highly technical environment.
- Excellent interpersonal skills suitable for user support and ability to work well with peer system administrators.
- Moderate fluency in at least one scripting language such as Bash, Python, Ruby, Perl or equivalent.
- DEVOPS scripting, programming and automation
- Porting/updating utility scripts between OS versions/platforms.
- Demonstrated capabilities to work in a dynamic environment and translate user needs into actionable project plans and see those plans through execution while balancing needs for short-term, high-priority tasks.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to work independently and demonstrated analytical and problem solving skills.
- Demonstrated ability to balance complex research and security requirements.
- Technical documentation skills, including ability to prepare simple documentation web pages.
- RHCT or RHCE Certification.
What will you be doing?
As a Linux Systems Engineer, you will have the opportunity to work directly with scientists to provide for their IT needs. As an IT professional you will help enable the research, while also protecting assets, data, and research discoveries.
This position focuses on the Knowledge Discovery Infrastructure (KDI). KDI is comprised of multiple customers performing research and analytics with Health Care data using high performance parallel compute, and an array of specialized computational appliances providing rare capabilities in data, such as graph analytics and deep learning vital to a variety of scientific domains. You will work with the KDI team, both maintaining existing services and contributing to the design and rollout of new services for the health care research community. Due to the nature of the data, all work must be performed on-site.
The client has an innovative and fast paced culture that rewards open source software development, has a flexible work schedule, and very competitive pay with industry. On any given day, after listening to a talk from a Nobel Laureate, you can eat at two full-service cafés’, go to a spin class, or visit the full-service primary care clinic, all without leaving campus.
Living in East Tennessee
It’s easy to overlook everything East Tennessee has to offer if you haven’t had the opportunity to spend time here. From spending your weekends downtown at Knoxville’s farmers market, the Rhythm n’ Blooms Music Festival, or the Dogwood Arts Festival, to some of the best hiking, kayaking, and camping in the U.S., not only in the Great Smoky Mountains National Park but all over the greater area, East Tennessee has something to offer everyone.
Linux Systems Engineer Keywords:
Linux, Puppet, Ansible, Clearance, Unix, RHEL, Red Hat, VMWare, Hadoop, CheckMK, GIT, SolarWinds, NetApp, DevOps
Job Types: Full-time, Contract
Salary: $80,000.00 to $130,000.00 /year
- Linux: 1 year (Preferred)
This Job Is:
- A job for which military experienced candidates are encouraged to apply