About us | VITA Planning & Landscape Architecture
VITA is a boutique Planning & Landscape Architecture Studio in San Rafael, CA specializing in respectfully merging elegant built environments with natural sites. Working with preeminent developers, architects, and resort operators throughout the world, the VITA Studio consists of creative and driven professionals collaborating in a fun, fast-paced and synergistic environment.
About the Role | Controller
The Controller for VITA Planning & Landscape Architecture, works collaboratively with VITA leadership and our principals to drive day-to-day accounting and finance functions. We are a thriving global business looking for a strategic partner, not just a number cruncher. While global in reach, we are a family owned small business that provides day to day interactions with our founder, our leaders and our clients. If you are looking for a new challenge, in a serene waterfront setting, we’d love to hear from you.
- Deltek Vision “system administrator” expert - hands-on & assisting others.
- Day-to-day, monthly and year end full cycle accounting & reporting to management.
- Payroll coordinated with employees and outside PR company.
- AR collections.
- Coordinate employee set up: payroll, benefits, entry in Vision, vacation/sick tracking.
- Maintain billing rates within Vision system.
- Reporting - project, management & annual, standard in industry.
- Oversee billing and accounting assistant tasks; back up to billing person.
- Other misc tasks as specified in the detailed section.
- Monthly assessment of bank accounts & financial position with accounting assistant.
- Month end closing, FS’s, reporting and review with CEO, owner of firm and other team members.
- Ability to coherently present and discuss financial reporting with management.
- Year end coordination with CPA on tax planning, annual bonuses, taxes, W2 review, etc..
- Annual 1099 preparation in Vision software; year end Vision tasks.
- New year start tasks: holidays scheduled, mileage, tax / 401k limits, payroll tax rates, etc.
- Coordinates with Principals and PM’s on AR and collections.
- Assists PIC’s / PM’s with project reporting and project budget assessment.
- Oversees project accountant billing & hands-on backup billing work as needed.
- Oversees and ensures accuracy of accounting assistant functions which include, but are not limited to, day to day entries, retainers, deposits, AP, bank rec’s and Excel FS summary reports.
- New employee orientations including forms and benefits and enter in Deltek Vision.
- Review vacation requests time availability; coordinate unpaid time off with payroll.
- Billing rate schedules maintained in Vision, rate multipliers, coordinate annual review/increase.
- Consultant invoice review, budget entries to jobs and approvals with team.
- Company payroll coordinated with payroll service bi-monthly, taxes and assist employees with payroll matters; 401k reports sent to 401k rep for contribution.
- Ensure jobs are entered properly for GET Hawaii tax collection.
- Coordinate client insurance certificates with agent; answer team’s insurance questions.
- 401k Program coordinated with employees to start in payroll & with John Hancock.
- Annual reporting (examples OH multiplier, revenue summaries, etc.), develop and run special projects / reporting in Vision as required by CFO/CEO, review for accuracy accounting assistant’s reporting (examples: cash flow & other requested reports).
- Participates in financial department recruiting, selection, orientation, training and reviews.
- Tutorials and training to staff of Vision functions, resolve Vision issues, roll out new systems.
- Accounting / business degree required.
- Previous experience required working in architectural, interior design or engineering environment.
- Deltek Vision experience required. Controller is the “system administrator” expert of accounting and project modules, minimum 5 years experience. Must understand billing functions within Vision as back up to billing person and be able to assist all employees with Vision expertise.
- Minimum 10 years experience in a hands-on accounting role.
- 5 years minimum supervisory experience
- Excellent communication skills and ability to present clearly and concisely to senior leadership.
- Small business environment experience preferred with frequent business owner / management and client contact.
- A thorough understanding of accounting processes and experience with preparing all types of accounting transactions: including Job Costing, Payroll, GL, AR, AP & billing.
- Resource Planning Vision module experience helpful.
- Maintains strict confidentiality standards.
- Independent self-starter with strong time management skills.
- Proficiency with MS Office and Google Docs and Sheets.
- Experience with Google Data Studio a plus.
- Excellent verbal and written skills.
Our ideal candidate will:
- Show up with a desire to have fun and a love of helping others succeed.
- Demonstrate curiosity and interest in what we do and a desire to become a long term member or our team.
- Be fundamentally relationship oriented - we are looking for a finance partner to help us achieve strategic goals and this role is critical to that growth.
- Be an inherently responsible, self-starter, independent & proactive decision-maker and problem-solver.
- Be motivated toward top quality - detail oriented, able to multitask & prioritize, super organized.
- Learn quickly, value continuous improvement and self development.
- Enjoys technology and learning new software skills.
- Have longevity within previous employers and proven record of results.
- Enjoys and has flexibility working with different types of people and projects.
- Hands-on approach to roll up sleeves and get the job done.
VITA Planning & Landscape Architecture offers a comprehensive benefits package including fully paid employee health/dental/vision benefits, paid time off, parental leave, 401(k) VITA match/Profit Sharing program and competitive compensation commensurate with experience.
Job Type: Full-time
- supervisory: 5 years (Preferred)
- Accounting: 10 years (Preferred)
- A valid CPA CMA or other related accounting designation (Preferred)
- Health insurance
- Dental insurance
- Vision insurance
- Retirement plan
- Paid time off