The primary purpose of this position is to lead, oversee, and work with less experienced drafters to ensure timely, orderly, and accurate completion of cooling tower orders. Secondly, this position is responsible for the progression of orders from field sales representatives to application engineers and, finally, to the plant for fabrication and the field for construction. The incumbent must excel at creating drawings in AutoCAD. The drawings must be such that viewers can easily understand them and can compile lists of necessary materials based on viewing them. The incumbent is also responsible for fabrication details, design, proper descriptions, and engineering specifications of materials coming from all vendors. Other responsibilities include meeting shipping schedules with ultimate cost savings applied, creating installation drawings and instructions for safe tower assembly, and assisting sales support with proposals and aftermarket issues. The incumbent also deals directly with vendors and field erectors in order to address problems affecting material shipments and product construction. The successful incumbent works efficiently and accurately, and communicates well with others in the plant, other drafters, application engineers, and the sales/marketing team.
- Review inexperienced drafters’ work; provide mentoring and coaching
- Train other drafters in use of software tools and product details
- Provide training and answer questions from the field and from the manufacturing plants
- Draw and generate bills of material pertaining to product development, maintenance, and/or redesign
- Draw and generate bills of material pertaining to sales order processing
- Follow company document control procedures to save and/or revise drawings
- Support suppliers, manufacturing, and construction by answering questions and clarifying uncertainty regarding documentation and instructions
- Review documentation (parts lists and drawings); track, investigate, and correct discrepancies
- Maintain integrity of product model files to conform with currently defined product specifications
- Create and execute engineering change orders (document the revisions and revise data and drawings as needed)
- Maintain product configurators to conform with currently defined product specifications, availability, and substitutions
- Responsible for all Americas locations
- 2- or 4-year technical degree in Drafting or Engineering Technology
- 3-5 years experience
CERTIFICATION/OTHER SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- HVAC and/or cooling tower experience preferred
- AutoCAD certification
- Working knowledge of 3D modeling a plus (Creo or SolidEdge desired)
- Programming and/or Visual Basic knowledge a plus
- Strong ability using Word, Excel, Access, and Visio
- Strong ability using SAP or other ERP system
- Knowledge of and ability to apply the fundamental concepts, practices, and procedures of particular field of specialization
- Success in applying skills to specific company projects
- Significant knowledge of some products
- Accountability for specific projects; responsibility for project accuracy, budget, and timeline
- Creative thinker
The physical demands described below are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Lifting 10-30 pounds
- Ability to read effectively from a computer screen and/or paper copy
- Ability to handle a large volume of work and perform multiple tasks in a fast-paced environment
- Ability to communicate effectively verbally
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Office environment with varying degrees of noise levels
Headquartered in Overland Park, Kansas, SPX Cooling Technologies, Inc. is a leading global manufacturer of cooling towers, evaporative fluid coolers, evaporative condensers and air cooled heat exchangers providing full-service cooling solutions and support to customers in the power generation, petrochemical, industrial, refrigeration, and heating, ventilation and air conditioning (HVAC) markets for more than 100 years. SPX Cooling Technologies and its Marley and Recold product brands are part of SPX Corporation.
SPX is an equal opportunity employer and makes employment decisions without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, genetic information, disability, protected veteran status, or any other reason prohibited by applicable law.
Thank you for your interest in our company.