Leidos operates FHWA’s Saxton Transportation Operations Laboratory (STOL), where staff develop emerging technologies to improve highway transportation safety, mobility, and environmental impacts. Saxton Lab provides a variety of services to support the advancement and deployment of vehicle-to-vehicle and vehicle-to-infrastructure interactions. Leidos seeks a proactive, motivated, and knowledgeable Software Engineer who will learn and support client needs and gain their trust.
The Software Engineer will be a key part of a small team of developers writing and extending a variety of applications and components in support of connected vehicle research in McLean, VA. We are part of a larger research team in a relaxed, laboratory environment that pushes the boundaries of connected and autonomous vehicles for the FHWA for purposes of demonstrating technology capabilities associated with vehicle-to-vehicle and vehicle-to-infrastructure communication that will support the larger Intelligent Transportation System initiatives. Software assignments may include control of automated vehicles; communications with network or hardware devices including radios; guidance algorithms; data collection, display, storage and retrieval; web applications for data entry, status reporting or control; data parsing and composition; database operations and data warehousing; and public web site operations. It is important that all team members are flexible and able to contribute outside of their primary expertise, so we are looking for someone who will be open to “getting hands dirty,” possibly test driving vehicles, helping to wire or configure vehicle hardware, planning routes, mapping, analyzing data, acting as systems administrator, helping to manage lab assets, etc.
Leidos operates FHWA’s Saxton Transportation Operations Laboratory (STOL), where staff develop emerging technologies to improve transportation safety, mobility, and environmental impacts. Saxton Lab provides a variety of services to support the advancement and deployment of vehicle-to-infrastructure technologies. Leidos seeks a proactive, motivated, and knowledgeable professional who will learn and support client needs and gain their trust.
The successful candidate will be a solid software developer with experience in Java and Linux environments, but also able to work in C, C++, Windows and other environments. Engineering life cycle activities will include detailed software design, coding, unit testing, automated test planning and development, software integration, system testing, user documentation, and customer interaction.
As part of a close team, the engineer will need to:
- Be a good team player and be able to give and take critical feedback on work products
- Communicate clearly in English, both orally and in writing
- Be prompt, schedule-conscious, and able to focus on the work at hand
- Be coachable and open to self-discovery and professional improvement
- Be quality-conscious and carry a sense of pride in their work
- Work hard for the team’s success
- Bachelors degree in computer science, engineering or other science discipline
- 2+ years full-time professional experience in Java software development
- Working knowledge of UML design language
- Experience with ROS
- Network design, configuration and maintenance
- Wireless communications, including cellular, WiFi and DSRC
- Knowledge of IP concepts, techniques and common practices (e.g. working with sockets, internal vs external IP addressing, routing, etc)
- Knowledge or experience analyzing or developing control systems
- Experience developing real-time, embedded software
- Experience in robotics, connected or automated vehicles, or standard vehicle electronic systems
- Experience in wireless communications
- Knowledge of GPS positioning and corrections, geodesy
- Experience writing hardware drivers
- Experience with Git, Maven and Gradle
- Additional experience developing software in Java and other languages, especially C or C++
Leidos is a global science and technology solutions leader working to solve the world’s toughest challenges in the defense, intelligence, homeland security, civil, and health markets. The company’s 33,000 employees support vital missions for government and commercial customers. Headquartered in Reston, Virginia, Leidos reported pro forma annual revenues of approximately $10 billion for the fiscal year ended January 1, 2016 after giving effect to the recently completed combination of Leidos with Lockheed Martin's Information Systems & Global Solutions business (IS&GS). For more information, visit www.Leidos.com. The company’s diverse employees support vital missions for government and commercial customers. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or veteran status. Leidos will consider qualified applicants with criminal histories for employment in accordance with relevant Laws. Leidos is an equal opportunity employer/disability/vet.