Job Title: Operations Administrative Coordinator FLSA Status: Hourly Non Exempt
Reports to: Assistant Administrative Manager of Operations
Department: Operations Location: Ocean Terminal
Under the supervision of the Assistant Administrative Manager of Operations, the Operations Administrative Coordinator performs a variety of clerical duties relating to receipt/shipment/inventory of Breakbulk and containerized cargo.
JOB DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
1. Works with steamship lines, brokers, freight forwarders, shipper/customers, stevedores, railroads and truck lines to ensure rapid receipt/shipment of cargo. Works with other GPA Divisions, Breakbulk and Warehouse offices to coordinate work schedule and billing.
2. Performs a variety of clerical duties such as filing, mail distribution, copying, answering the telephone, radio communication, and processing shipping orders.
3. Verifies shipments, receipts OS&Ds, and truck tickets for accuracy against temporary/mate receipts prior to forwarding to GPA Billing Department.
4. Schedules and verifies cargo receipts & deliveries by truck, rail or vessel for both breakbulk and containerized cargo, as well as maintains inventory accuracy by account and steamship line. Handles cargo documentation unique to the Division.
5. Inputs and verifies time records for hourly paid personnel, maintains familiarity with policy relating to shift work, overtime, benefits, etc. Willing to work in both breakbulk offices, Garden City Terminal and Ocean Terminal, depending on business levels.
6. Initiates and/or completes cargo information into GPA’s cargo system as well as other systems required by our customers (GPA System, PC’s Excel, Access, Word, Internet/Customer’s proprietary system). Provides customer research support for cargo information.
7. Dispatches trucks making export receipts and import deliveries to proper area for handling cargo. Works directly with motor carriers and truck drivers processing all truck tickets and delivery orders promptly, communicating effectively, handling large volumes of work professionally.
8. Assists in training for new employees.
9. Performs other duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
Knowledge of general office procedures and operation of office equipment required. Must be able to deal with customers and GPA personnel in a courteous and professional manner. Must have ability to input data into GPA assigned system accurately and efficiently. Typing skills with emphases on accuracy for all work performed required and the ability to type 35 cwpm desired. Ability to operate scales desired. Ability to perform a large volume of numerical detail work with speed and accuracy necessary. Ability to make accurate calculations on calculator required. Experience with Microsoft Word, Excel and Access desired. The ability to interact and communicate effectively and professionally with the GPA staff on all levels of administration including immediate supervisor, management and co-workers required. Must be willing and able to work weekends, holidays, shift work and overtime as needed.
Education and/or Experience:
High school diploma or equivalent required. Some college and familiarity with operations of shipping industry desired.
Must meet the criteria for and obtain a Transportation Worker Identification Credential (TWIC). Valid state driver’s license required.