About Minds Matter Boston
Minds Matter Boston is three-year program that supports low-income, high achieving high school students and helps them reach their goal of attending a four year college with a robust financial aid package. Students receive one-on-one mentoring, professional ACT tutoring and the opportunity to attend an academic summer program for two consecutive summers. The organization is seeking an ACT Prep Instructor to lead the ACT preparation module that teaches our students the skills and strategies needed to close the college readiness knowledge gap.
An ACT Prep Instructor will be responsible for delivering 90-minute interactive lessons that reinforce essential content knowledge and introduce students to test-like questions and test-taking strategy. Instructors will be implementing the Kaplan Foundations Curriculum and will receive a Kaplan Teacher's Edition that provides detailed lessons to support a differentiated and engaging instructional approach. The ACT Prep Instructor will also develop lessons to supplement the Kaplan Foundations Curriculum to ensure that individual student's needs are met. It is expected that the Instructor will provide feedback on student progress and celebrate class achievements.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Deliver 90-minute lessons using the Kaplan Foundations Curriculum every Saturday from 9:30 am - 11:00 am during October-May (excluding holiday weekends and weeks of school vacation);
- Communicate session content and progress to Executive Committee members;
- Record and track student progress (all practice test grading will be done through Kaplan);
- Communicate progress and expectations to students;
- Analyze student process to determine challenge areas and develop targeted lessons on these topics;
- Track and celebrate milestones and achievements in the students's scores;
- Provide a safe, challenging, and dynamic learning environment that meets the educational needs of our students.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Excellent Communication: prompt and thoughtful communication is required. ACT Prep Instructors will need to communicate consistently with mentees, other instructors, parents and Minds Matter Executive Committee members.
- Effective Instruction: the ability to explain new ideas and unfamiliar concepts in a clear and concise way, taking into account that students will have diverse cultural backgrounds and different academic abilities.
- Self-starter Mentality: the ability to conceive of and originate new lessons/activities that will resonate with our mentees.
- Strong Commitment: the ability to attend virtually every Saturday session from 9: 30 pm -11:00 am.
- Patience and Enthusiasm!
- Minimum of 1 year experience tutoring or teaching ACT preparation;
- Bachelor's degree required;
- Experience teaching ACT preparation in classroom environment, rather than 1:1 tutoring preferred.
**Hourly compensation dependent upon qualifications.
Job Type: Contract
- Cambridge, MA 02139 (Required)