Modern Electron has an immediate opening for a Research Engineer or Physical Chemist with experience in ultra high vacuum (UHV) experimentation. You will work on the R&D team, and will be responsible for innovation, design, and integration of key components of product prototypes and final products, which will use the company’s groundbreaking technology and processes.
Particular focus will be on experimentally implementing systems and processes to control multi-phase chemical equilibria, kinetics, and mass transport in an enclosed system. The successful applicant will collaborate with a team of physicists, chemists, material scientists, engineers, and technicians, as well as consultants and outside vendors to leverage their experience and technology. He/she will also contribute to technical innovation and problem solving company-wide through participation in cross-functional teams.
Modern Electron is a start-up company dedicated to generating cheap, modular, and reliable electricity for all. Expensive mechanical engines and turbines based on 19th-century technology still generate the majority of the power used worldwide. We seek to replace them with paper thin heat-to-electricity generators. >$20MM venture capital is committed to our vision. We have enormous potential for learning, impact, and growth in a small and collaborative team setting. We value our ability to move fast to outpace larger companies and achieve what they cannot.
ESSENTIAL SKILLS, KNOWLEDGE, AND ABILITIES:
- Principles of vacuum science (e.g. kinetic theory of gases), surface chemistry, and multiphase mass transport
- Experimental ultra-high vacuum techniques
- Design, purchase, assembly, and integration of high vacuum and ultra-high vacuum equipment; and improvements/maintenance of these systems
- Experience working on process development in a commercial/product-oriented setting
- Ph.D. in Chemical Engineering; Materials Science; Mechanical Engineering; Physics; Chemistry; or related field
- Demonstrated experience with experimental vacuum science
- At least 6 years of post-bachelor (Ph.D. + work) experience with vacuum science
- Experience simulating and modelling chemical multi-phase (vapor/liquid/surface) equilibria
- Experience with low work function materials and/or vacuum electronics
- Experience working with alkali metals or other low work function materials
We are an equal opportunity employer