We are currently seeking an Engineering Manager
to join the team as a member of our growing Portland division. This individual will train, mentor and manage engineers working on a variety of design projects.
McKinstry is a full-service, design-build firm specializing in consulting, construction, energy and facility services. The firm's innovative, integrated delivery methodology provides clients with a single point of accountability that drives waste and redundancy out of the design/build process. With nearly 2,000 professional staff and trades people throughout the United States and operations in more than 15 states, McKinstry advocates collaborative, sustainable solutions designed to ensure occupant comfort, improve systems efficiency, reduce facility operational costs, and optimize profitability "For The Life of Your Building." For more information, visit www.mckinstry.com.
This person will be responsible for:
- Responsible for the design product that comes out of engineering.
- Collaborates with the Enterprise Engineering Team on software purchases, in-house design tools, and staff development
- Markets design services to internal clients and supports sales as part of the project delivery to external customers.
- Maintains a departmental and company focus for the purpose of producing superior designs.
- Exercises global decision making by considering other departments within the company such as project management, sales and estimating, accounting, purchasing, etc.
- Participates in appropriate local industry organizations to represent McKinstry engineering.
- Completes, supervises, and/or assists all design team activities for a specific project.
- Plans for, schedules, supervises, delegates, and provides feedback to members of design team.
- Refines management skills to assess in advance the need for additional staff to complete design work on schedule.
- Conducts biannual goal plan reviews for all members on your team.
- Purposeful outreaching and connecting to other departments and regions to ensure the sharing of information and practices.
- Ensures team members are following Enterprise Engineering standards on all projects
- Collaborates and actively participates with the Enterprise Engineering Team to develop the engineering knowledge base, including engineering standards and design tools that help make the department designs consistent and efficient.
- Develops the engineering knowledge base, including engineering standards and design tools that helps make the department designs more consistent and efficient.
- Responsible for monitoring project’s design budgets.
- Investigates, evaluates and troubleshoots existing system operations.
- Confirms and document existing site conditions.
- Includes existing comfort and maintenance issues
- Foresees potential future issues based on previous projects
- Completes designs with a level of quality in the design documents that leads to a minimum amount of clarification required during construction.
- Prepares design budget proposals for a variety of project types that appropriately reflect the effort required on any given project.
- Develops a manpower estimate based on the established scope of work, and manage the project to fit within the hours budgeted.
- Reviews designs of other engineers (QA/QC).
- Reviews energy model outputs.
Qualified candidates will possess the following:
- Bachelor’s degree in mechanical engineering or engineering required or equivalent work experience.
- P.E. registration is required
- Ten (10) years of experience in mechanical design, engineering or related field required.
- Advanced knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite - Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook, and Visio required.
- Two (2) years Design management experience required.
- Working knowledge of AutoCAD and Revit required.
- Working knowledge of Energy model results analysis required.
- Working knowledge of Total Cost of Ownership and or Life Cycle Cost Analysis required.
- Experience in managing a design team is required.
- LEED AP preferred.
McKinstry's success isn't a matter of fate or luck. It's the natural consequence of our commitment to innovation...how we support our employees...the unique truly integrated way we deliver...the long-term relationships we forge with our clients...and our unwavering commitment to creating buildings that are good to their owners, occupants, and the environment. Innovation runs on ideas, which can come from anywhere. Projects at McKinstry are not owned by individuals or departments, but by all of us, which is why it's common to see new employees from one discipline collaborating with 30-year veterans from another.
Our company culture includes a robust mix of sound business practices and employee initiatives that promote personal and professional development, work/life balance, health and wellness and community involvement.
The Company is an equal opportunity employer. We believe every employee has the right to work in surroundings that are free from all forms of unlawful discrimination. We are committed to providing equal employment opportunity to all employees and applicants without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, disability, ancestry, creed, marital status, sexual orientation, or Veteran or military status, genetic information or any other basis prohibited by local, state or federal law in the relevant jurisdiction. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment including, but not limited to employment, advancement, assignment and training.
McKinstry is committed to strengthening our diversity through recruiting and retaining minority and women professionals from all backgrounds. Our commitment is consistent with our recognition that it is the outstanding people within McKinstry who have always been the source of our strength. We recognize that promoting diversity is an integral component of our continuing quest for organizational excellence.
This commitment to Equal Employment Opportunity is made equally as a social responsibility and as an economic and business necessity.
Anyone with questions or concerns regarding Equal Employment Opportunity should contact their direct supervisor or the Human Resources Department without fear of retaliation of any kind.
Key works: mechanical engineer, engineering, hvac, plumbing, manager, leader, senior, PE, P.E, professional engineer, ME, commercial, healthcare, data centers, principal, design, stamp, drawings, design build, design-build, budget, schedule