The Electro-Mechanical Designer is a challenging and critical position. This Associate will be part of our engineering and design team for a variety of aerospace electro-mechanical motion control products. Specific responsibilities include the modeling, and detailing in the design of the product including housings, gears, gear-sets and gearboxes (i.e. Planetary, Spur, Differential, Bevel, Helical, etc.), Power Transmission Screws (i.e. Ball Screws, Acme Screws, Planetary Roller Screws, etc.), all types of bearings configurations, fits/clearances, material selection, processing and plating, drawing checking, product weight optimization, etc. Knowledge of motors, sensors, as well as open and closed loop control system applications is a plus.
The ideal candidate will be an expert in dimensioning, tolerancing and drafting standards. The candidate will take concepts, sketches and layouts from the lead engineer and clean them up to proper modeling practices. The candidate will actively design and detail products through various stages of the product life cycle (proposal, design, development, verification, and product support). The ideal candidate will not only solve problems but will recognize that the problems exist. This candidate should be able to apply all their knowledge and experience to create general principles to solve recognized problems in a simple, effective and explainable manner.
The Electro-Mechanical Designer has the responsibility to ensure that the components meet program cost, form fit and function requirements, and must be keenly aware of compliance to schedules and commit dates. This means that this Associate will interact regularly and collaboratively with the production, operations and ownership teams. The Electromechanical Drafter will also work with external suppliers to answer questions and improve the design for manufacturability. The successful candidate will show a willingness to own the designs and drawings, learn from their peers, take charge when required and offer opinions.
- Created detailed layouts, assemblies and detailed manufacturing for new applications using SolidWorks and SolidWorks PDM.
- Create and execute product design details, which includes: Detailing, Drawing and Checking, Reviewing and Approving Drawings and Change Order, Detailed Piece Part Drawings with Tolerance including temperature affects and complete Bill of Materials on drawings and in PDM.
- Create detailed drawings to ANSI and Aerospace drafting standards.
- Work cooperatively to provide Engineering technical support to manufacturing, suppliers, or customers
- Ensure products are designed for producibility and manufacturability (DFMA).
- The candidate must also be hands on and willing to work in the shop environment to build prototypes and support production issues.
- Work interactively with supply chain and suppliers to ensure optimal manufacturing processes are utilized.
- A.S. in Mechanical Design Technology and Drafting or Equivalent Degree Work Experience
- Specific experience of 7+ years in an applicable work environment
- Direct Aerospace and Motion Control Experience is a plus
- Demonstrates drafting skills over a variety mechanical components and assemblies. Experience in selecting detailing fits for a variety of mechanical components such as bearings, dowel pins, retention devices and fasteners among other things.
- Experience with small parts and (3) to (4) place decimals and tolerancing.
- Specific capability in the following software:
- SolidWorks, SolidWorks PDM
- Other CAD experience will be considered if the candidate is very strong in other areas and demonstrates the ability to learn other CAD programs.
- Microsoft Products, including advanced knowledge of Excel
- Good analytical and mathematical background
- Ability to communicate information and ideas both written and spoken so others will understand.
- Knowledge of Aerospace Military and Commercial Aerospace design requirements
- Knowledge of manufacturing processes and methods
- Knowledge of aerospace drafting standards
- Knowledge of Geometric Dimensioning and Tolerancing (GD&T)(ANSI Y14.5M)
- Knowledge of certification/qualification testing per DO-160 and/or MIL-STD-810 a plus
- U.S. Citizen (No Dual Citizenship)
- The ability to obtain a government security clearance, if required.
DESIRABLE EXPERIENCE & KNOWLEDGE
- Expert knowledge of SolidWorks.
- Knowledge setting up SolidWorks Enterprise PDM workflows.
- Experience with SolidWorks Simulation is a plus.
- Knowledge of Additive Manufacturing design and manufacturing is a plus.
- Knowledge of MRP/ERP programs
- Knowledge of space environments is a plus
- Knowledge of Land and Sea based systems is a plus.
- Knowledge of design for harsh environments is a plus.
Job Type: Full-time
- Mechanical Drafting: 10 years (Required)
- Solidworks: 5 years (Required)
- Rockford, IL 61109 (Required)