Position: Voter Engagement Coordinator | Department: Civic Engagement Department | Location: Cleveland/ Akron, OH | Schedule: Full-time, 40 hours, non-exempt | Travel: Travel required between Cleveland and Akron, OH. Inner-state travel may be needed
Asian Services In Action, Inc. (ASIA, Inc.) seeks a highly motivated and bright individual who possesses a diversified set of skills for the Voter Engagement Coordinator position. The person will be responsible for the management, coordination, and execution of the day-to-day voter engagement program including but not limited to non-partisan voter registration, volunteer canvassing, community events, and voter turnout efforts. ASIA’s nonpartisan voter engagement program reaches thousands of new Americans across Ohio to inspire and increase voter participation. The program works with college campuses, high schools, and in cities and neighborhoods in Ohio where new American communities reside. The position requires knowledge of running street and event-based canvassing, experience in volunteer recruitment and management, and a penchant for getting large crowds of people registered to vote and to the polls. Occasional travel to different parts of Cleveland and Akron, OH will be necessary to fulfill the expectations of this position. Possible inner-state and out-state travel may be needed. This position offers an exceptional opportunity for growth for the right candidate interested in community engagement and voter parity. This position will work in coordination on other projects as assigned by the Manager of Civic Engagement. The work schedule includes evening and weekend canvasses and events, as necessary, for the campaign. Candidates requiring strictly a 9 to 5 schedule will not be a good fit for this position.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Manage the development and implementation of ASIA’s day-to-day civic and voter engagement programs, including voter registration, nonpartisan voter education, voter turnout efforts, and field/data tracking;
- Collect and maintain effective data for ASIA’s databases as third-party databases for reporting purposes;
- Identify likely voters to increase voter turnout during each election cycle to close the parity gap;
- Supervise year-round canvass teams during the performance of their daily responsibilities;
- Assist in the recruiting and supervision of interns and volunteers;
- Develop and implement base-building strategies (field plan), including voter education materials that meet the needs of different target groups, in conjunction with community education;
- Identify, engage, and build rapport with grassroots leaders, organizers, community members, and organizations;
- Develop targeted civic and voter education strategies to communicate civic and voter education messages to new American communities, as well as to marginalized groups that may have special information needs;
- Provide advice and support to the Manager of the Civic Engagement Department to establish and manage a voter engagement program;
- Coordinate organizing projects as needed;
- Assist in expanding the ACE Network’s year-round base-building efforts;
- Assist the Civic Engagement Manager to plan, implement, and evaluate funding and program effectiveness of ASIA’s voter engagement strategies that support the development of a budget for civic and voter education activities;
- Prepare a voter engagement report quarterly;
- Provide administrative support to the Manager of the Civic Engagement Department where needed;
- Ability to lift 30 lbs or more;
- Requires work on evenings and weekends, as necessary for the campaign;
- Ability to commute throughout Ohio with a current license, insurance, and car access;
- Belief in and commitment to progressive social, racial, and economic justice;
- Highly organized and acute attention to detail, flexible, and self-motivated/self-starter;
- Personal qualities include energy, enthusiasm, motivation, commitment, integrity, humor, optimism, a positive attitude, and ability to motivate and listen to others;
- Must be adept in working with diverse staff who are multicultural and multilingual;
- Excellent computer skills, including proficiency with MS Office and OS applications;
- Excellent interpersonal skills both in-person and by phone, with high professionalism;
- Proven oral communications skills with the ability to interact well with the public, board members, and staff;
- Ability to work under pressure and maintain the quality of detailed work while meeting competing and inflexible deadlines;
- Must have a strong commitment to immigrant and refugee concerns and have a great commitment to excellence in social services;
- Must pass a criminal background check and have a valid Ohio State driver’s license;
- Must be authorized to work in the U.S.
- Bachelor’s degree with a background in political science, international relations, communications, nonprofit management, or a related field;
- Prior experience with civic and voter engagement strategies is a plus (i.e.: phone banking, canvassing);
- Experience leading successful organizing campaigns;
- Prior experience in a non-profit setting is a plus;
- Knowledge of AAPI cultures (their issues and needs, particular barriers and strategies to address those barriers), respect for all cultures, and the ability to interact with diverse groups preferred;
The position reports to the Manager of the Civic Engagement Department. We are seeking a candidate who has strong technical and soft skills, high energy, maturity and potential for leadership.
ASIA offers a competitive benefits package that includes: personal, vacation and holiday paid time off; health insurance; dental/vision coverage, life, and long-term insurance; retirement contribution match; professional development opportunities; and other incentives. Part-time staff is eligible for a pro-rated benefits package based on FTE.
Please send a cover letter and resume to HR Manager (HRManager (at) asiaohio.org). Visit www.asiaohio.org. No phone calls, please.
Asian Services In Action, Inc. promotes equal employment opportunities for all applicants and employees. ASIA will not discriminate against any applicant for employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, veteran status, age, sexual orientation, marital status, or the presence of any sensory, mental or physical disability in any employment practice, unless based on a bona fide occupational qualification. Women, minorities, and the disabled are encouraged to apply.
Job Type: Full-time