Cures Start Here. At Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center, home to three Nobel laureates, interdisciplinary teams of world-renowned scientists seek new and innovative ways to prevent, diagnose and treat cancer, HIV/AIDS and other life-threatening diseases. Fred Hutch’s pioneering work in bone marrow transplantation led to the development of immunotherapy, which harnesses the power of the immune system to treat cancer. An independent, nonprofit research institute based in Seattle, Fred Hutch houses the nation’s first cancer prevention research program, as well as the clinical coordinating center of the Women’s Health Initiative and the international headquarters of the HIV Vaccine Trials Network. Careers Start Here.
As a member of Fred Hutch’s Communications & Marketing Department, the media relations specialist will support the media relations team’s efforts to build the Center’s reputation through earned media placements and social media engagement. Your contribution will increase the visibility of Fred Hutch as a preeminent cancer research institution and help position the organization as a national leader in the quest to cure cancer and related diseases. Reporting to the media relations manager, this position will support the team coordinating and managing media opportunities and working with faculty and division leaders on a variety of integrated communications and marketing initiatives.
- Support high-visibility, integrated communications and marketing announcements and campaigns across earned and owned media channels.
- Develop and update project trackers, media lists, editorial calendars, media monitoring, coverage tracking and media coverage webpage.
- Coordinate reactive media inquiries and develop proactive pitches.
- Gather coverage highlights, and build monthly and quarterly reports using CoverageBook and other reporting tools.
- Assist in writing and producing content, including news releases, client briefing materials, social media posts, news briefs and internal announcements.
- Research news outlets, reporters and industry trends to help inform strategies and tactics.
- Bachelor’s degree in public relations, communications or equivalent experience.
- 2-3 years in media relations/corporate communications.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite (Word, PowerPoint, Excel).
- Demonstrated experience with project management and media tracking tools (specifically Cision and Asana);
- Strong writing, editing and verbal communications skills and familiarity with AP style (be prepared to share writing samples).
- Basic working knowledge of media, marketing and social media landscape.
Required Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Health sciences and/or non-profit experience preferred, as is a strong connection to the Fred Hutch mission.
- Demonstrated ability to distill complex information (science, research, technology) into compelling stories and message points.
- Experience using social media tracking and listening tools preferred.
- Experience producing web content and amplifying stories through digital channels and social media.
- Customer service ethic.
- Rapid responder to media and internal stakeholders outside of traditional business hours, and across time zones.
- Self-starter comfortable with ambiguity and complexity.
- Experience tracking and managing multiple projects with differing priorities and deadlines.
- Analytical approach and creative problem-solving skills.
- Comfortable working across all levels of organization and with diverse group of stakeholders.
Our Commitment to Diversity
We are committed to cultivating a workplace in which diverse perspectives and experiences are welcomed and respected. We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity and VEVRAA Employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, creed, ancestry, national origin, sex, age, disability, marital or veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, political ideology, or membership in any other legally protected class. We are an Affirmative Action employer. We encourage individuals with diverse backgrounds to apply and desire priority referrals of protected veterans. If due to a disability you need assistance/and or a reasonable accommodation during the application or recruiting process, please send a request to our Employee Services Center at firstname.lastname@example.org or by calling 206-667-4700.