PUBLIC WORKS SUPERVISOR – MAINTENANCE & OPERATIONS
This recruitment is open until the position is filled or a sufficient number of applications have been reviewed to establish a qualified candidate pool.
This recruitment is open for one month. Applications will be reviewed until a sufficient qualified candidate pool has been established.
$29.22 - $39.45
Department / Division:
Public Works/Field Operations
Monday through Friday from 5:00 a.m. – 1:30 p.m. in the spring/summer and 6:00 a.m. – 2:30 p.m. in the fall/winter
The City of Tempe participates in the Arizona State Retirement System (ASRS) Defined Benefit plan with mandatory employer and employee contributions currently at 11.50%. ASRS pension plan includes a Long-Term Disability Benefit. We also offer a comprehensive benefits package including vacation, sick leave, holiday and short-term disability. Our employees have generous insurance options for medical, dental, vision and life. For more details, visit:
The purpose of the Public Works Supervisor – Maintenance & Operations position, is to plan, assign, supervise and coordinate the maintenance of the City’s infrastructure systems, including but not limited to landscaping, parks, baseball spring training facilities, cemetery, golf courses, facilities, right-of-way, and equipment.
This selected individual will be responsible for overseeing and participating in all related aspects of maintenance for the Downtown Tempe, Rio Salado, and desert preserve areas. This diverse footprint includes Mill Avenue and other highly visited municipal grounds, parks and preserves, as well as the Rio Salado parks and pathways.
Additional duties may include but are not limited to the following:
- Select, train, motivate, track, assign and oversee the work of staff; establish schedules and methods of work performed; and ensure adherence to proper workgroup procedures and policies;
- Develop, administer and monitor preventative maintenance programs;
- Administer, enter, prioritize, assign, update and evaluate service work order requests in the Computerized Maintenance Management System (CMMS);
- Schedule and supervise the testing and preventative maintenance of a variety of equipment;
- Inspect the work of maintenance contractors, prepare inspection reports, maintain records of all areas maintained under contract and ensure proper compliance with contract conditions.
Three years of full-time professional experience in the maintenance of infrastructure systems, at least two of which must be in the area of assignment: parks, golf course, baseball spring training facilities, contract oversight or facility maintenance. Two years of supervisory or lead responsibility is required.
Candidates must have the minimum amount of work experience. Education will not substitute for the required work experience; however, related unpaid and/or volunteer work experience may be used as qualifying work experience.
Equivalent to completion of an Associate’s Degree supplemented by accredited technical training in a specialty related to the core duties of the position.
The term “equivalent” means that directly related work experience exceeding the required work experience will substitute in equal time increments for college-level education, for example: one year of additional directly related work experience will substitute for one year of college education (30 credit hours).
Certifications, Licenses, and/or Registrations:
- Must possess and maintain a valid driver’s license.
- Depending on area of responsibility, may be required to obtain within 180 days of hire, an Arizona Structural Pesticide Applicator License in categories 3 and 4 or a Certified Applicator Golf (PUG) in Ornamental & Turf category (B2).
Successful completion of initial probationary period is contingent upon passing an FBI background investigation. Based on position, referred applicants may be subject to additional testing which may include pre-employment polygraph, physical and drug screening.
For the complete job description go to: https://www.tempe.gov/home/showdocument?id=62267
This position is FLSA Non-Exempt – eligible for overtime compensation and/or compensatory time.
Employees in this position are represented by the Tempe Supervisors Association (TSA).